Teaching safety by example

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarleyDiver:
I never have understood why so many people think they have the right to tell me how to live my life. As far as I am concerned ALL laws telling me what I have to do to "protect" myself are a bunch of crap.

And if I crack my head open falling off my Harley, LEAVE ME BE, Its my problem not yours...

End of rant...
Not at all directed at you, but who foots the bill to scrape your brains off the road, that might be kept inside your head by a helmet?

I must admit that I am much more concious about the role model thing when I am in front of my daughter.

When she is in my car, I park her in the middle of the back seat and put all three seatbelts on her, it looks kind of comical, but until she is of an age that she can do her own risk management, then I will do it for her. It works as a sort of straight jacket too, stops her bouncing around etc.

cancun mark:
I must admit that I am much more concious about the role model thing when I am in front of my daughter.

When she is in my car, I park her in the middle of the back seat and put all three seatbelts on her, it looks kind of comical, but until she is of an age that she can do her own risk management, then I will do it for her. It works as a sort of straight jacket too, stops her bouncing around etc.
You're only being a role model if you also wrap all three of the front seat belts around yourself while you drive.

HarleyDiver:
I never have understood why so many people think they have the right to tell me how to live my life. As far as I am concerned ALL laws telling me what I have to do to "protect" myself are a bunch of crap.

And if I crack my head open falling off my Harley, LEAVE ME BE, Its my problem not yours...

End of rant...
And the wife and kids who just lost father/husband/bread-winner and won't get the insurance policy because you weren't wearing a helmet. But that's ok because you were likely intestate and the courts will decide what to do with your assets after the bank gets its share anyway.

I digress...

FreeFloat:
You must be a Darwin Awards fan :D

No I'm a fan of being allowed to make my own decissions. I like people especially the government to stay out of my shorts until I invite them.
Seriously seatbelts are a proven safety measure. I suppose I do kinda agree with you though that if an individual decides he'd rather accept the risk of driving around while not wearing one, he's unlikely to affect anyone else with his demise in an accident. Other than his grieving family, or any passengers in his car..........

Seatbelts are a fine thing. Laws requiring me to use them are an abomination.
If the technology is available, proven, and not terribly inconvenient, I don't see why people still argue against using it.

Again, I'm not argueing against the use of seatbelts but just the law that says I must.
Perhaps I should strap a tank on my back and go diving... no BC, I can lose all them pesky weights......... no SPG or safe-second required either, after all, just breathe til it gets hard then come up, right?

That's exactly how it was done in the beginning. It was legal then and it's legal now...at least here it is. Some divers still spend a ton of money to get vintage equipment and they use it. In fact we have a forum for it right here on this board.
And safe seconds are for wusses who can't buddy breathe. :eek:

No. They come in handy. Do you need a law to get youto believe it?

See what you guys have done?!?!? You've got me started.

All of the safety rules are the very reason the earth is over populated. We have idiot proofed the world. Granted some of them slip thru but for the most part they survive because we protect them. 125 mph down the interstate with no seatbelt and the top down. hmmmmmmmmmmm....... why do you think he was ejected from the car? Well..... IMO he got what he deserved. Did the person that was driving 65 mph in the Expedition deserve to be hit in the process? No, but that is why they were driving the Expedition. Protection from the Idiots on the road. Nature has a plan for keeping species in order...... we're screwing with mother natures plan. If you want to base jump off the towers...... by all means..... go ahead..... If you want to ride a barrel over niagra....... feel free.... DONT LET THESE SILLY LAWS STOP YOU!!!!!!!! You want to go to 500' with a pony tank? Burn it up!!!!!!!! We'll either recover the body or the fishies will take care of it.

In other words..... Let the idiots kill themselves off and we dont have to worry about them.

As for kids..... LET THEM BE KIDS!!!!!!!!!!! Climb trees, ride their bikes, build forts and all the things we did. Throw away the damn wipes and the Play Stations. Pay for the good medical insurance. Spank them when they need it, encourage them when they need it.

Oh yeah..... One other thing......

"FOR THE CHILDREN" Can we please quit beating this poor dead horse?

Lightning Fish:
British Columbia has bike helmet laws, though it isn't enforced. There is also a helmet law for motorbike riders. One of the big arguments for these laws is it is our tax dollars that keep the injured alive and a head injury can be permanent and expensive. I know my tax money can be put to better uses (such as education, cancer research, etc.), when there are safety devices to help prevent an injury in the first place.

Bill.

I spend a bunch of money on insurance and paying my own families medical bills. If I split my head open it won't cost any one but me and my own insurance company but that's a risk I'm paying them to take.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

NWGratefulDiver:
You've nailed it. Safety laws are less about protecting potential "victims" than about protecting potential defendents.

Safety advocates weren't the ones who got seatbelt laws passed ... that would be the insurance companies.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It was a long time ago but as I remember it the auto manufacturers are the ones who lobbied for seat belt laws. Consumer groups (insurance companies maybe?) were trying to force the car makers into installing airbags. The auto makers aregued that it would raise the cost of vehicles too much and that people didn't use the seatblelts that they already had.

Legislation is passes for 2 reasons...votes and campaign money. If a lobby group throws itself around enough and represents enough money or votes they get what they want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom