Teaching yourself to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In regard to the certification of military and other divers with experience but no recreational certifications...
I thought there might be another route or waiver for them to get a card without having to complete certification course.
...there is a provision for abbreviating the training specifically for divers with documented experience. Upon successful completion of this abbreviated training, these divers will become fully certified recreational divers.

That's interesting, I thought there might be another route or waiver for them to get a card (for insurance, etc) without having to complete certification course.

I don't think any of the agencies 'give cards' based on equivalency (PADI, SSI and BSAC certainly don't). They 'count' as the equivalent qualification, meaning that the diver concerned would be entitled to continue in the training programme at the next step above.

i.e. If a military diving qualification was recognised as the equivalent of an Open Water certification, then that individual would be entitled to enrol directly on the Advanced Open Water course.

Also my insurance policy covers 100 feet for holder of advanced open water card. It specifically states that and nothing else.

I wonder what the situation when training for AOW. Was my insurance not valid on deep dive to 100 feet - I was only covered to 60 feet with my OW card and had not yet received or completed the AOW certification. From what I can see there does not seem to be provision for training dives, I might call them to enquire about this.

In regards to people who dive without certification, it will also depend on the geographical location. In the US, the rate will be less than some third world countries I presume. In Libya where I am now, there are lots of fishermen who dive every day but they never went through any type of training and the instances of DCS is incredible.

For the military divers, if they are going to use the civilian facilities, they will have to follow the civilian structure. NAUI has a route for these people to earn their NAUI certification without going through the whole OW course. It is called "Experienced Diver" program.

At one time I imagine that there was a lot of practicing divers who were not certified and did just fine. However, because of liability and so on, over the years this practice has pretty much been eliminated as gradually most dive shops want to see some sort of certification card. It's even tough to get an air fill without a card unless you can convince them that you are a paint-baller.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my OW instructors had dived for three years before he got certified. He's the only person I know who did substantial diving before taking a class.

Your OW card says you have been trained and are safe to go to 60' and no deeper. Your AOW card says in most cases I believe 100' and no deeper. Your insurance will cover you to the depth you are certified to go. If you go deeper than your training and dive beyond your trained limits they are off the hook and you are on the hook for the bill if you get hurt.

Insurance companies agree to insure a certain reasonable risk. If you are diving beyond your training they consider you to be taking an unreasonable risk and they will not cover the cost of injury. They also will not cover your medical bills if you get hurt committing a crime as that is also not a reasonable risk.

If you are concerned about mitigating your exposure to medical bills in the event of a diving injury, in addition to your major medical coverage get the proper training for the depth you want to go to as well as get back up insurance such as DAN which is a secondary insurance or Dive Assure which works as a primary insurance. If you are concerned about getting hurt by a trip and fall above the water line also consider an accident policy from a company such as Colonial Life or Aflac. You can get a Colonial policy for around $4.5 per week and if it is done through payroll deduction, it can be done as a pretax item and will cost you just under $4 in real dollars from your check. Those sorts of polices cover you for any sort of normal accident and have a $ amount attached to the type of injury. The more serious the injury the greater the payout. If you asked me which company I think is better of the two, I would say Colonial. Full disclaimer they are one of the carriers I represent so am a bit biased. As for dive specific insurance, I have carried DAN in the past, but Dive Assure looks pretty attractive to me right now.

I dove without being certified before I came to live and attend school in the US. I dove for about 6 years doing hundreds of dives without much training except for what my uncle told me: "Don't hold your breath and don't go too deep."

The picture is much different in the US and in other more advanced cultures since they are much more educated and there is at least "awareness" that this is something that can potentially be hazardous if not done right. There is also the liability issue but I believe people are more sophisticated and educated than third world countries to appreciate training and certification.

Last edited:
Also my insurance policy covers 100 feet for holder of advanced open water card. It specifically states that and nothing else.

I wonder what the situation when training for AOW. Was my insurance not valid on deep dive to 100 feet - I was only covered to 60 feet with my OW card and had not yet received or completed the AOW certification. From what I can see there does not seem to be provision for training dives, I might call them to enquire about this.

I doubt that your insurance is currently valid in any respect, as you have admitted that you are not currently medically fit to dive. If you had to make a claim for treatment costs against your insurance company, then it'd come to light very quickly.

In regards to insurance cover of higher-level training courses, then it would be wise to confirm the details with your insurance provider in every respect. I personally wouldn't risk a six-figure medical bill against the small print of my insurance contract.

That said, most insurance companies are quite understanding of diving activities done under the supervision and duty-of-care of a qualified diving industry professional, who operates under approved standards.

I doubt that your insurance is currently valid in any respect, as you have admitted that you are not currently medically fit to dive. If you had to make a claim for treatment costs against your insurance company, then it'd come to light very quickly.

I doubt it would come to light very quickly but thanks for your genuine concern.

Back
Top Bottom