Teaching yourself to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you were treated for a hyperbaric injury, then the chamber would need your medical history for the effective diagnosis and treatment of your condition. The insurance company would then recieve copies of all medical notes from the insurance company.

Once the insurance company were advised that you suffered from asthma, then their next step would be to confirm that you had clearance for diving.

I've dealt with a few diving medical emergencies in my time, and have quite a few friends who work in hyperbaric chambers. One of the biggest challenges that I have faced has been ensuring that divers get rapid treatment via quick resolution with their insurance providers.
But I am sure you know better....

Or would you just plan to lie to the hyperbaric chamber medical staff as well?

I doubt it would come to light very quickly but thanks for your genuine concern.

When you have a big medical claim, the insurance company is going to investigate and request all relevant documents. They aren't going to just pay a big claim and say the heck with it--especially in light of the new MLR's that have been instituted as a result of health care reforms (MLR-minimum loss ratio) They have even more incentive to investigate claims because profit margins have now been regulated by the MLR law. The gov says they can lose as much money as the want to, but can only make a minimum profit in any given year. Before they made some more years than others and it balanced out when they had a bad claim year. They can't do that anymore. The first question they are going to ask is that you provide proof of your training and ask to see all the documentation with said training. If they find you lied that is called fraud and your claim can be denied. If you are diving beyond your training, you have violated the contract that they have with you that they expect you to act a certain way in good faith.

If you were diving a wall and got pushed down due to current, you would probably be covered. If you were diving and had an active profile of a depth lower than you were trained for, you would likely not be covered. In the event of an accident your gear is most often seized by the relevant authorities and the condition and data are documented as part of the chain of evidence.

Or would you just plan to lie to the hyperbaric chamber medical staff as well?

It's not that black and white, I wouldn't disclose irrelevant information. Just get me in the chamber, my infrequent mild respiratory difficulty is not of concern and is an unnecessary distraction from the hyperbaric treatment I need.

When you have a big medical claim, the insurance company is going to investigate and request all relevant documents. They aren't going to just pay a big claim and say the heck with it--especially in light of the new MLR's that have been instituted as a result of health care reforms (MLR-minimum loss ratio) They have even more incentive to investigate claims because profit margins have now been regulated by the MLR law. The gov says they can lose as much money as the want to, but can only make a minimum profit in any given year. Before they made some more years than others and it balanced out when they had a bad claim year. They can't do that anymore. The first question they are going to ask is that you provide proof of your training and ask to see all the documentation with said training. If they find you lied that is called fraud and your claim can be denied. .

I dont dive beyond my training. In all the documentation thus far in relation to diving, there is no mention anywhere of medical problems. I procure any necessary inhaler medications from a different jurisdiction where a prescription is not a requirement, or I get them from a family member who normally has excess supply. I have copies of stepwise medical treatment approach, I am currently at step 1 basic treatment which is occasional short-acting bronchodilator

It's not that black and white, I wouldn't disclose irrelevant information. Just get me in the chamber, my infrequent mild respiratory difficulty is not of concern and is an unnecessary distraction from the hyperbaric treatment I need.

Well, what you think isn't important might very well be the difference between whether you live or die. This past April 2010 my brother who was 46 suddenly died. I have read his medical records. He lied to the doc about a few things that he didn't think was important. They ended up being a significant factor in his death. The doc suspected he was lying and noted it as such.

When they took him to the ER, he still wasn't willing to tell them what he thought wasn't relevant. A couple of hours into his ER visit he lost consciousness and they were left trying to figure out what to do and fight the clock. The clock won and my brother lost. In an emergency such as a chamber or ER visit--everything relevant.

So basically... "Yes, I would lie to the medical staff at the hyperbaric chamber".

So... now you know better than Doctors, Diving Instructors AND Hyberbaric Technicians...

You're a clever, clever man.

You can't be serious!! You are now not only making an "informed consent" but also a medical decision on what needs to be revealed and what not to be and what is relevant and what is not. This is another one heck of an asinine statement you are making. What do you think the ride in a chamber is? The staff there need to know about your entire medical history especially anything that affects your pulmonary functions. Just like U/W, what if you have an asthma attack while in the chamber? Again, you are belittling everything just to rationalize your throwing all common sense against the wall and going ahead with your grossly unintelligent adventures.

You can't be serious!! You are now not only making an "informed consent" but also a medical decision on what needs to be revealed and what not to be and what is relevant and what is not. This is another one heck of an asinine statement you are making. What do you think the ride in a chamber is? The staff there need to know about your entire medical history especially anything that affects your pulmonary functions. Just like U/W, what if you have an asthma attack while in the chamber?

I dont get asthma attacks. I am content that I am aware what is relevant.

So basically... "Yes, I would lie to the medical staff at the hyperbaric chamber".

So... now you know better than Doctors, Diving Instructors AND Hyberbaric Technicians...

No, he is Superman!!

Lie is a very emotive word which does not have much place in the complex world we live in.
Im claiming to know what they need to hear in order to proceed with my hyperbaric treatment. I know what I need to do to get covered by my insurance. Everyone's a winner in this hypothetical situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom