Teaching yourself to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my OW instructors had dived for three years before he got certified. He's the only person I know who did substantial diving before taking a class.
I dove for more than a decade amd a half prior to "certification," but then when I started diving there was no such thing as recreational diver certification.
I dove without any certification before I came to live and go to school in the US. I dove for about 6 years doing hundreds of dives without much training except what my uncle told me: "Don't hold your breath and don't go too deep."

The picture is much different in the US and other more advanced cultures since they are much more educated and there is at least "awareness" that this is something that can potentially be hazardous if not done right. There is also the liability issue but I believe people are more sophisticated and educated than third world countries to appreciate training and certification.
I've been trying to find a, "more advanced culture," for many years, can you tell me where I might find one?:D

I've been trying to find a, "more advanced culture," for many years, can you tell me where I might find one?:D

I thought that I found it when I visited you way back then. Don't tell me it wasn't so.

You've done an approved course in Hyperbaric medicine?

I havent done an approved course in mechanical engineering, but a few months ago when I was getting wheel tracking and alignment done on my car, I didnt feel the need to tell the mechanic that the rear fog light was malfunctional.

Most forums on ScubaBoard show up a day later on Google...

try it yourself - google: skydiver1 site:scubaboard.com

2nd & 3rd results might warrant further investigation by a diligent claims adjuster.
Cant swim - Page 9 - ScubaBoard
Originally Posted by Skydiver1 View Post. I haven't used an inhaler in a few months now and don't tug my forelock to someone because they hold an MD. ...
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...d.com/forums/basic.../367838-cant-swim-9.html - Cached
#
Cant swim - ScubaBoard
10 posts - 5 authors
This member has said "Thank you." to Skydiver1 for this useful post: ... had a complete bronchospasm since I was 11 years old. Skydiver1 is online now ...
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...m/forums/basic-scuba.../367838-cant-swim.html - Cached

Of course they'd have to know your username. One of our members was named in the Maldives lawsuit under both his SB username and his legal name and country of residence. I'm quite positive we didn't release it but they were able to discern it somehow - maybe via a google search? Although I believe that information is subpoenable also.

And this thread will be searchable later today or tomorrow also. In it you've as much as admitted you would attempt to conceal your condition from medical personnel attempting to render care.

In the worst case scenario that would be used by the medical facility's attorney if your heirs tried to sue them for malpractice.

Everyone's a winner in this hypothetical situation.
Your insurance company and their stockholders may see it differently...

Most forums on ScubaBoard show up a day later on Google...

try it yourself - google: skydiver1 site:scubaboard.com

2nd & 3rd results might warrant further investigation by a diligent claims adjuster.

Of course they'd have to know your username. One of our members was named in the Maldives lawsuit under both his SB username and his legal name. I'm almost positive we didn't release it but they were able to discern it somehow - maybe via a google search? Although I believe that information is subpoenable also.

And this thread will be searchable later today or tomorrow also. In it you've as much as admitted you would attempt to conceal your condition from medical personnel attempting to render care.

In the worst case scenario that would be used by the medical facility's attorney if your heirs tried to sue them for malpractice.

The name on my birth cert is not "Skydiver" and Im sure law enforcement has better things to be doing than pursuing a scuba diver who did not reveal history of a medical condition. Everything else is hypothetical and has not happened yet.

And Im wondering about the basis for subpoena in a civil suit across two different jurisdictions. And my family are not predisposed to suing on a whimsical basis, they have background with the medical profession and would find the notion nauseating.

Maybe you thought too much about 1984 mentioned in another thread.

I havent done an approved course in mechanical engineering, but a few months ago when I was getting wheel tracking and alignment done on my car, I didnt feel the need to tell the mechanic that the rear fog light was malfunctional.

Have you done an approved course in Hyperbaric Medicine?

The name on my birth cert is not "Skydiver" and Im sure law enforcement has better things to be doing than pursuing a scuba diver who did not reveal history of a medical condition. Everything else is hypothetical and has not happened yet.

Ah, but an insurance company facing a half million in claims that has to justify keeping a staff of lawyers ready at moments notice and that has to pay them whether they are busy or not is very interested. It is amazing how good those guys are at digging up stuff.

A couple of years ago we had a poster that was a bit of a pain and someone on the board, I can't remember who did a quick search on the net and posted all sorts of details including name address and social network profiles about the guy. I sent them a pm and asked them to do the same on me and in less than 5 minutes they came back with a list of correct info about me. And my real name isn't USBB either, but they found it out. Does anyone remember who it was that did that? It was they guy who kept flaming John Chatteron all the time that the search was run on.

Have you done an approved course in Hyperbaric Medicine?

Is that when they teach you to press buttons to increase pressure inside a big metal chamber?

There is no basis for subpoena in a civil suit in the jurisdiction Im currently in. And my family are not predisposed to suing on a whimsical basis, they have background with the medical profession and would find the notion nauseating.

You are actually aware that insurance companies don't want to pay out, unless they have to?

I am not actually sure why you are on this forum?

You ask questions, but then feel yourself sufficiently authoritative in the subject to over-rule or brush aside any of the advice or guidance given to you.

So, if you aren't here to listen... and you're not in a position to add value to others... then what is your motivation for being here? And why do you ask questions when you don't want answers?

Back
Top Bottom