Tearing my hair out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MysteryDiveBuddy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just started diving my drysuit again after its summer hiatus and it is yanking my hair out! My hair is thin and fine so I can't afford to lose much. It gets pulled out when I don and doff my latex neck seal and from the latex around the collar and face of my hood. Yesterday when I combed my hair, gently, post-dive a TON fell out. Ok so I do shed some in the fall and I shed more when it is long but I think the drysuit is pulling out a lot. How can I lessen the hair loss?

Trying putting conditioner on it first...should slide right over then...and you will have a lot less trouble combing it out after the dive! It also means that your hair will absorb less salt water!

Astroglide.

Rogaine :wink:

I use a lycra hood; they are cheap and helps prevent the mask from entangling in your hair as well.

MysteryDiveBuddy:
I just started diving my drysuit again after its summer hiatus and it is yanking my hair out! My hair is thin and fine so I can't afford to lose much. It gets pulled out when I don and doff my latex neck seal and from the latex around the collar and face of my hood. Yesterday when I combed my hair, gently, post-dive a TON fell out. Ok so I do shed some in the fall and I shed more when it is long but I think the drysuit is pulling out a lot. How can I lessen the hair loss?
You wanna know what I do to avoid this problem? I wear a hair protector.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/scubakevdm/boardme.jpg

Apparently I missed them.
Won't conditioner do bad things to my neck seal?
Won't it be slimy and gross while I am underwater?
Lycra hood would be too chilly but thank you for the suggestion.

I don't have any data, but I'd be really careful about conditioner and latex seals. The neck seal on my Mobby's suit totally failed after about forty dives, and the ONLY thing I could come up with that might have contributed to it is that I use an organic, Lavender-scented hair conditioner. I've taken to not using conditioner on my hair at all on the days I dive, because dry, lank hair is preferable to the bill for another neck seal replacement.

use extra powder when pulling hood on (dry), or get hair wet first.

Mine is mid length, and I find putting a french braid in it helps as well.

I find more hair torment from the neoprene hoods than the neck seals (the skin in parts) One of the "many" reasons I like the latex hoods with a thermal bonnet (a la viking dry hoods).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom