Tec, Where to begin??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCBC asked "Why shouldn't they both have the right mindset?"

Damn good question -- wish I had a damn good answer.

DCBC asked "Why shouldn't they both have the right mindset?"

Damn good question -- wish I had a damn good answer.

My guess is that the Tech standards were written predominantly using the expertise of experienced tech divers/instructors/instructor-trainers who formed the original PADI tech 'cadre' by crossing-over from other agencies when PADI formed their tech program. Let's call it 'inherited external wisdom'.

The recreational program doesn't benefit from that importation of wisdom. It did once, long ago, but has suffered a steady dilution with little external input to counter-act it.

The same is happening now with CCR and sidemount training. The initial foundations of course design, standards writing and instructor training comes from an original cadre of externally experienced experts. Each subsequent 'generation' of instructors becomes more removed from that original cadre - a process of dilution and internalization.

When I first crossed-over to PADI TecRec, my instructor-trainer/s had a history with other agencies. So did every TecRec diver/trainer I knew. The standards were high - a culmination of the distilled expertise from multiple agencies and immense experience from those providing the training.

The process of dilution becomes more evident with every subsequent generation of instructor and instructor-trainer; as they are further removed from that original core of expertise. As this happens, there is a knock-on effect: the PADI policy makers become more confident to intervene with and amend the training program. This allows corporate philosophies to become reflected in the program.

The re-issue of the Tech Deep Instructor Manual, a few years ago, is a good example of this. The old 'Tech Deep' course used to begin with a stiff warning that "Technical Diving is not for everyone" and "It is possible to enjoy a lifetime of rewarding recreational diving without ever doing technical diving". That statement of reality had disappeared when the new Tec40/45/50 manual was released. And now...a few years further down the road, technical diving seems to be encouraged for everyone. High five!

borat_great_success-1.jpg

... And now...a few years further down the road, technical diving seems to be encouraged for everyone. High five!

Technical diving certainly isn't for everyone. I wonder if all Agencies even require a full diving medical to enroll in a technical program... I also suppose that "technical diving" is largely a matter of degrees.

Initially in recreational diving, any gas other than Air was considered technical. Now Nitrox is considered recreational.

Many years ago, dives to 160 FSW on Air weren't considered technical, now any dive over 130 FSW is, regardless of the mix. To others this depth is a breath-hold dive. :) It's hard to keep up.

Andy in the other thread you eluded to wreck penetration and technical wreck penetration. I mentioned that CMAS doesn't differentiate, nor for that matter do I. A diver is trained to penetrate a wreck properly or not.

There is a difference in planning a wreck penetration in 30 FSW and the HMS Dasher in 430 FSW at Scapa Flow. The 3 hours of decompression doesn't affect the planning for the penetration itself, which is a separate issue.

Were you advocating different levels of wreck penetration training? If so, what is your reasoning? As I've mentioned, the CMAS Wreck 2 (Penetration) courses I've taught have been for technical divers. I wouldn't change the how to, if it was undertaken on air at 30 FSW.

The re-issue of the Tech Deep Instructor Manual, a few years ago, is a good example of this. The old 'Tech Deep' course used to begin with a stiff warning that "Technical Diving is not for everyone" and "It is possible to enjoy a lifetime of rewarding recreational diving without ever doing technical diving". That statement of reality had disappeared when the new Tec40/45/50 manual was released. And now...a few years further down the road, technical diving seems to be encouraged for everyone. High five!
No re-issue of Tec Deep Diver manual means any student is still confronted with the warnings you mention during knowledge development.
I'd tell the op to start with a Rec Sidemount and Self-reliant courses to learn the basics...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom