Tech Diving vs Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed that on your profile you list "Technical Diver" under Dive Classification. Curious why you changed your mind?
Because when I started "tech diving" the differences were much clearer. They are not so any more but since there is no scubaboard classification that states I require either limestone or rusty metal over my head then I guess tech still best describes the type of diving I am into.

I'm going to add a question to this.
in the old days of early technical diving your bottom time was very small and your hang time was very great, as in "an this may not be right" if you went for a dive around 200ft you spent 15 or 20min on the bottom and your deco was anywere from 45 min to an hour.
what might be the same time's for a CCR? and are their more perks to a CCR rather than having a set of doubles with trimix?

The worst case old school deco dive would be a dive done entirely on air (including the deco hang time) depending on depth, hang time could easily be 2 to 3 times as long as the divers bottom time. The current standard for OC deco calls for 1 or more different deco gasses (beyond the bottom gas) of increasing FO2 as the diver comes shallower. The increasing FO2 (and thereby decreasing FN2) accerates the bodies offgassing of N2. As Blackwood indicated, the advanced CCRs now in use allow a diver to set a specific PO2 to run throughout the dive. By running the entire dive at the maximum safe FO2 for that depth a CCR diver will first minimize his inert gas loading, and then maximize his offgassing. Making deco stops as short as 25% of what an OC diver might require for the same bottom time.

There's a reason they cost as much as they do....They're worth it!

the advanced CCRs now in use allow a diver to set a specific FO2 to run throughout the dive. By running the entire dive at the maximum safe FO2 for that depth a CCR diver will first minimize his inert gas loading, and then maximize his offgassing.
Actually if you substitute PO2 for FO2 you would be correct. We set partial pressure and the fraction of gas varies throughout the dive

Basically there is no such thing as technical diving. It has become a buzz word that really means little as time goes by. Whether I use a single tank, doubles or a rebreather if I am not being paid for it, it's recreational.

No, actually your answer represents
the clear cut differences between
recreational diving vs professional diving.

(A professional gets paid to go where he
might otherwise not think or prefer to go)

That being said, technically ALL diving is "technical".

Now, where did I leave my popcorn?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom