Technical Diving Webinar with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't know enough about CCRs yet to give you any insight on this one... I am still a newbie diver in general, so tech diving is a little while away for me yet... I like the idea of CCRs because of the hours & hours of gas available without using stages & that you can change your gas mix as needed during the dive, again without stages. I am quite sure, with the tiny bottles on a CCR, that you would still need stages for the higher O2 stops in accelerated deco, but being able to go through the first few stops with just the CCR is awesome... If you don't get a spot in this presentation, I will try & ask the question for you about going from OC to CC & see what he says...

OK guys thinking about going rebreather:
Are you (can you) jumping right into it from non deco open circuit? I always kind of thought that the path was more like get to the point with OC systems that you are doing deco dives with accelerated deco with up to 100% O2 for the background in that before jumping to RB diving, at least or even getting trimix cert and experience?

On the other hand, it stikes me that heavy deco OC diving is becoming obsolete so why bother doing it before going RB.

Thoughts?

Well I'm going to be taking the Adv. Nitrox/Deco class, so any rebreather stuff would be after that. In my opinion, that should be the minimum requirement, as it's quite easy to rack up a significant decompression obligation when you potentially have several hours of dive time. Technically you could operate a CCR in a recreational/no deco mode, but the diver has to maintain the discipline to do so. But if someone spent the time and $ to get a rebreather, are they really going to limit themselves to 10 minutes on a 130 foot dive? I think adv. nitrox training is important as well, as it's very easy to kill yourself when you can potentially inject pure oxygen into your breathing loop to your hearts content.

If I get a rebreather, my plan is to stay above 130 feet for a LONG time (as in # of dives), so I don't think trimix is necessary to begin with. I do think that it would be useful down the road though in case I plan to go much deeper than that. Getting seriously narced while using a rebreather is probably not the wisest thing to do.

I also don't think people should jump into rebreathers until they are very aware of the potential dangers involved. On OC, it's usually quite apparent when you are having some type of problem. A malfunctioning rebreather can kill you very quickly and with no warning if you aren't paying very close attention. I think it's also important to understand the difference between an mCCR and eCCR, as well as the different safety records of the two. I almost think that using an mCCR should be a pre-requisite for getting an eCCR. If you don't have the discipline to dive an mCCR safely, you should not be allowed near an eCCR, at least with todays technology.

Well said Mats, you mentioned a lot of very good points. Lots to think about. Thanks!

Yes, I spent some time reading there as well (including reading the 43 page APD lawsuit thread). Lots of bickering and personal attacks over there though, so it's a bit tedious at times.

Agreed, it seems that when you get to that level of diving that comes with the territory unfortunately...

Getting back to Lucy's Diver's question though, from what I was reading on RBW, supposedly 7 certifying agencies are planning on offering certifications for the Open Revolution Apocalypse mCCR.

Heck even PADI used to teach SCR (Semi Closed Circuit Rebreater) a while ago, but I think the units they offered classes for were much more depth limited than todays mCCR/eCCR's, so I suppose you could do it w/o Deco as long as people knew their NDL times and stuck to them. But really you could accomplish much the same thing on OC w/o the expense by just getting larger tanks/doubles.

you guys are way way smarter than i, i went to a demo by dive right a month or so ago and it made my head explode...its a lot of information and yikes its way more responsibility than a tank...i dont know when i would be, if ever be ready for one....i am trying to expand my understanding of nitrox and really understand that. even though i took a padi class...as most padi classes, i was rushed though, got a card and on my own....so i am looking into more advanced books to read about it....found one thread on deco site that has the answer just waiting to see where i can get the book....

whew. rebreathers....man, soon we will be underwater for longer than we are up...now that would rock right...(well maybe not for you married guys..LLooLL)

Hey Hobo, I agree. I think without doing deco dives the rebreather would be a waste. The Open Revolution Apocalypse looks extremely promising, that's what really got me interested in CCR's. For a little more than 2 sets of doubles & the valves & whatnot to connect them, I can get a rebreather. Wendy, you have a point too though, there is more to think about when diving a rebreather & you have to be a much more disciplined diver, as Hobo mentioned too, making sure to check & recheck PPO2 levels & seriously watching your butt...

It's a proven fact though Dubya that women, once experienced & comfortable under water, will get a ton of time from a single HP100 or HP120. Much more than most guys could hope for. If you ever get a chance to dive with my instructors wife, you'll see what I mean. She uses an HP100 & a 40cf pony (just as back-up) & can get two dives out of the HP100 with a student class at Dutch (roughly 70 - 80 minutes underwater), without even touching her pony (as I said it's strictly for back-up). She is amazing and she says she dives with many women who can do the same. I hope they come with us to NC so you can get the chance to dive with her. She is an incredible diver & instructor.

wow!!! thats a great sac rate....she is totally comfy in her gear thats for sure...i hope to get there soon...its all a bit overwhelming today. i have been reading a lot, talking to some gue instructors and i feel like i need a new sport , like walking....one that is not so task loaded....LOL

just kidding....i hope to be diving till i cant bend over to put my drysuit on then i will hire someone to do it for me...again, dreaming...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom