Technical Diving Webinar with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was looking @ the Apoc FAQ last night, and they are apparently recommending Trimix if you dive deeper than 30m (~90 ft). Although I think that might have only been if you weren't getting the monitor.

I'm gonna check that out, although I'm at least two or three years away from a CCR. I don't think trimix is necessary until at least past rec limits, of course I know nothing about it really & have nothing to base that opinion on. :D That's why we read this stuff right? Plus, I don't think I'd dive the Open system without the monitor...

Well on an mCCR, you need to manually inject O2 into the loop occasionally. The reason for the trimix is that they are worried you would get narced, and loose track of time, and not monitor you PP02 properly.

On OC, you would notice you were OOA, and either find your buddy or your pony hopefully, and head up. On CCR, you would just fall asleep when you became hypoxic.

Of course, with the APOC and the monitor, you would get verbal warnings if your PPO2 was low. And if you have the automatic bailout valve (not sure if that's included w/ the APOC/Monitor), it would automatically switch you to OC if it senses the loop is unbreathable.

Great explanation. I read guys over on RBW people talking about what would happen if, for example, you have two or three guys diving the APOC systems & how would you know who's APOC was talking to who... I guess that's what they were talking about. It's true though with the nature of sound underwater, you can't tell where a sound is coming from, so that could be an issue. I can't wait to take a course in this stuff. I think in the spring I'm gonna try to make sure I get to Dutch for the Dive Rite Demo day to try out one of their CCRs. Like Wendy said on another post, they give you a crash course on CCR theory & let you try it with a guide. It's still way off on the horizon for me, but at least it's a taste...

My understanding was that audio for the warnings is projected through the ADV (regulator), and at such low volume that no one besides the diver would be able to hear it.

I'll probably do the CCR demo as well @ dutch as well.

The APOC monitor also has displays for your buddies to see if your having problems.

monitor_800x600.jpg

I believe that's what these are. They also show the CO2 monitoring, which is a first for a rebreather.

Incidentally, for anyone with an iPhone or iPod Touch, there is an application (FREE) called iDeco that shows your decompression stops/times based upon parameters you enter for dive time/depth/o2/He etc. Very interesting to play.

There's also a web based version, but it's not quite as easy to play with:

MYDECOPLAN.COM

oh then i saw it...my brains were on the floor. but i was not at dutch so there was not getting wet with one. maybe next year i can catch it. I found this thread on rebreathers and although none of us are saying we are ready, or necessarily going to use it for cave, this may be of interest...

http://www.submergeproductions.com/Action/Interviews/tabid/66/modId/395/LCTag/eurotek/Default.aspx

i think we may be hijacking this thread but thats ok??? the JC thing is pretty much a done deal till we all do it on tues.

Guys, unfortunately something came up and I had to cancel my slot for the John Chatterton Webinar tomorrow night. So if anybody was on the waiting list, I just opened up a slot.
Coqui

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom