Tell me about the good/bad on Dahab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi folks,

I've posted a few threads asking for info on hotels & diving in Dahab. So I think I'm set on Dahab for my June dive vacation. So how about the good/bad experiances you all have had there? What to look out for, what to go for kinda advice. As far as hotels, I'm going to have to be content with what is available short notice as I can't make plans too far out due to my work schedule so hopefully I'll luck out on a good hotel but still open to inputs. Thanks so much for all your help.

cheers,
Rob

Dahab...Where do i start...The questions are a little vague.

Are you diving at all? What qualification level are you? Are you planning on diving every day? 1 dive a day? 2? more?

Hotels, do you want all inclusive so away from town or in town?

Need more details to give a sensible answer.

June its going to be hot, probably around 40 degrees most days, sea will be in the region of 26 degrees. Expect wind in the mornings, calm in the afternoon.

Most of Dahab is shore diving although a few dive centres have boats. The vast majority of sites can be and are dived by most centres by trucks and jeep and no site is more than 30 mins travel away from the middle of town.

The "famous" site is the Blue Hole with the typical dive from Bells to the blue hole along an outside wall that drops off pretty much vertically to a few hundred metres. This site is mainly about the space, there is some decent hard coral on the saddle area but its mainly a "tick the box" dive and not the best dive there.

Canyon is normally dived on the same day as blue hole as part of a 2 dive day and is a nicer site in my view, a decent reef, decent topography and so on.

Lighthouse is the main training site in the middle of town,a nice reef but can be exceptionally crowded in summer. Eel garden further up is nice if the weather is calm. A drift from EG to lighthouse is nice but a 90 min dive so need decent air consumption.

The Islands is a really nice coral site with towering brain corals and such from the sea bed to the surface. Max depth 16m with most between 4 and 8m swimming around corals.

The other "main" sites are the southern oasis which is a large bay surrounded by mountains with some restaurants. Again crowded in summer but not TOO bad. You have golden blocks,moray gardens, 3 pools, umm sid (the best here imho) and caves (easily the worst!).

That takes care of the common ones. Really nice and rarer dived sites include Talha and Abu Helal south of Canyon. Those are probably my favourite local dives but do require decent weather (ie low wind) to do safely.

The best reef quality is in Gabr El Bint - this a dayboat out of the marina south (about 45 mins travel time on Yassmin Noran or 60 on Romy and the others). Lovely lagoon, colours, usually turtles etc and sha'ab Saeed on the way back if the wind allows. This is definitely worth a day trip and probably the best diving in Dahab.

You can also do Thistlegorm with a 5am start and 8.30pm return (3rd dive on Shark/Yolanda in Ras Mohammed) if you like wrecks.

Town has in the region of 60 dive centres and all offer the same sites at much the same price on the same schedules.

As for eating places, avoid Ali Baba - it has a massive marketing budget, all the taxi drivers get commission for dumping people there and the food is no better than any of the other standard tourist traps next to it (al capone, shark etc) but its more expensive.

Best is to avoid that line of clone restaurants altogether. If you want Italian i'd recommend El Dorado about 2 mins walk up the dark, windy corner from lighthouse, for indian try Nirvana or the Kitchen, for Thai it has to be the Blue House - possibly the best restaurant in town. Blue Beach does the best steaks in town.
Carm Inn has "different" food not the usual tourist stuff and a nice atmosphere too.

For nice day trips out of town try the Coloured and White Canyons and a trip up Mount Sinai to see sunrise (but cant dive for 24hrs prior to this due to the altitude).

Cant think of much else to add, have you got any specific questions etc you want answered?

(fwiw if you click on my flickr link below ive got a load of dahab above and underwater photos).

String and everyone else, thanks for the reviews.

I'll be a bit more detailed as you asked to help with the reviews. I hold a PADI Advanced Open Water, I'll be diving 2 dives a day preferbly. I'd like to stay at a 3-4* or better on the beach, and walking distance to town center. I'd rather dive with a reputable professional dive center but I'm sure most are good if they want to stay in business. Good food, good night life and any diving is better than not diving at all I guess so boat trips or boat safari's to some wrecks would be great as I love diving wrecks. Ok, thanks for the help and if you guys have any more inputs, please write as I appreciate all the help.

Rob

Regarding wreck diving, there isn't any in Dahab. However, your dive op can arrange a one-day trip to Thistlegorm and Ras Mohamed out of Sharm El Sheikh at extra cost (supplement to your dive package). Normally the day is 3 dives; 2 on the wreck and the third at Shark's Reef on the way back to the jetty. However, sometimes the third dive is canceled because of time limitations (since the boat must make it back to the jetty before sunset) or uninterested divers.

For nice day trips out of town try the Coloured and White Canyons and a trip up Mount Sinai to see sunrise (but cant dive for 24hrs prior to this due to the altitude).

Definitely a must do.I didn't do Mt Sinai at sunrise due to my diving schedule,but the scenary is quite something anyway.

dahab has been built up quite a bit ive heard, as far as diving companies go there are so many you have to talk to a couple to get good deals, but its a divers dream you can do deep or shallow at the blue hole, but make sure you check out the chimney thereon the way into the hole(thats actuall giong into the hole backward)
or if you wants to just spend 2 hours on one tank check out the islands(walkable from the village)
the canyon was really cool till i almost got eaten by the resident moray eel.
personally i would rather stay in the village as opposed to the town better people, better deals, better food,better women, better women
any way you cant not have a good time

dahab has been built up quite a bit ive heard, as far as diving companies go there are so many you have to talk to a couple to get good deals, but its a divers dream you can do deep or shallow at the blue hole, but make sure you check out the chimney thereon the way into the hole(thats actuall giong into the hole backward)
or if you wants to just spend 2 hours on one tank check out the islands(walkable from the village)
the canyon was really cool till i almost got eaten by the resident moray eel.
personally i would rather stay in the village as opposed to the town better people, better deals, better food,better women, better women
any way you cant not have a good time

Better women? Nice! So what hotels are in the village rather than the town area? Is the village in walking distance from the town center? I'm thinking of making reservations with the Coral Coast Hotel.

I'm thinking of making reservations with the Coral Coast Hotel.

I stayed at a the Coral the last couple of years.Great choice in my opinion.20m. from the sea and now they have a new swimming pool.Excellent staff.Mind,there is not a proper sandy beach,but they have sunbeds all over the place.It's quiete but a 5min walk to the middle of the action....and it's very,very close to that Pescatori restaurant:wink: Breath taking views on Saudi Arabia.Ask for a room on the top floor.
Since my dive operator(Fantaseatec) has recently moved to another hotel I'm sadly going to change location this time.I'll let you know about this new one in a couple of weeks time.

Since my dive operator(Fantaseatec) has recently moved to another hotel I'm sadly going to change location this time.I'll let you know about this new one in a couple of weeks time.
Fantaseatec is a trade mark of Fantasea, the dive op currently located at Coral Coast (5 years ago it was at the Lighthouse area).

Your op moved to Dahab Divers (hotel and dive center) under a new name.

Fantaseatec is a trade mark of Fantasea, the dive op currently located at Coral Coast (5 years ago it was at the Lighthouse area).

Your op moved to Dahab Divers (hotel and dive center) under a new name.

That's definetely correct.The new name is Deep Pressure Point.I just didn't want to be more specific,maybe they still have some issues to discuss:idk:

I stayed at a the Coral the last couple of years.Great choice in my opinion.20m. from the sea and now they have a new swimming pool.Excellent staff.Mind,there is not a proper sandy beach,but they have sunbeds all over the place.It's quiete but a 5min walk to the middle of the action....and it's very,very close to that Pescatori restaurant:wink: Breath taking views on Saudi Arabia.Ask for a room on the top floor.

Sounds promising! Don't really need a sandy beach but a pool with some hot babes around will do just fine. Hope they got a good wet bar for after diving drinks.

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom