Tell me about the good/bad on Dahab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No worries, never took it that way. I'm allways open to any suggestions before I spend $$$$ getting stuck at a dump resort.

Cheers,
Rob

A centre with 3 permanent instructors probably uses at least 15 freelancers to supplement that!

Sharm is a different type of place. Its like blackpool with sun. Chain restaurants, chain retail outlets, no real character, could be anywhere on earth. Its more frantic and about twice as expensive too. But there is good diving out of there like anywhere else in Egypt!

That's harsh, Sharm is not lovely, but Blackpool FFS! There are plenty of non-chain restaurants too, the hawkers are a nightmare, a pain in the bloody arse, but the diving is excellent, Tiran and Ras are just brilliant, I was too tired for nightlife after diving all day.

The diving there is good as i said, the place though is one of the tackiest resorts ive seen anywhere. Its an awful place to spend time.

The diving there is good as i said, the place though is one of the tackiest resorts ive seen anywhere. Its an awful place to spend time.

I reccommend that you never go to Magaluf, Santa Ponza or Ibiza and half of the Med. This is Blackpool if people want a laugh:

54638332_f9a8fcf4ea.jpg

pic%20week%202.jpg

blackpool-9278.jpg

blackpool_pleasure_beach_view-617x463.jpg

hen_night470_470x300.jpg

AHAHAH!! LOL!! Glad I never spend the $$ on gas to drive there and see those hipo's. Nice!!

HAHAHAHA!!! loving this thread lmao

Save me some mingers, I'm in dahab in 2 weeks

Yeah defo - sharm is the new sunny blackpool(was benidorm)

I was there for the 1st time 3 years ago to dive. OMFG!!! Only hassle free part is when you have managed to get on a boat at the dunkirk evac port.

I'm into Dahab now. must admit, on the whole the dive sites are better from sharm, but i varied my diving in dahab with camel to ras abu galum and the thistelgorm. having said that not 1 dive i did was not good:)

I plan on diving Nitrox, they say they have it so I hope they are compatent at filling Nitrox tanks and don't screw stuff up.

Sounds like Fantasea is not going to be a disapointment...I hope.

As someone who's worked in dahab for a few years, I would say this to you.
Don't decide based on others' opinions. Decide on your own when you get there.

Dahab is small enough that you can spend half a morning walking around and speaking to a lot of dive centres.

My personal experience from the working side is that SeaDancer is a good dive centre, Sinai Divers Backpackers is also a good place (FREE nitrox there!), and Mirage is also a great dive centre (also FREE nitrox I believe). Depending on how many dives you plan to do, all of these places will do you a good deal.

Accomodation-wise, I would recommend checking out Alaska Hotel (no swim pool, but hey, the lighthouse area is often as nice as a pool), if ur budget allows, check out the Dahab Coach House (google for their website), two of the places a lot of us locals put our friends and family when they come to visit. See trip advisor dahab ratings and reviews.

Food-wise, the main drag restaurants offer the same ****, different price/menu pasta pizza crap. I second the Nesima, Nirvana, Carm Inn, and even Food Urge. El Dorado in my opinion is a snotty little overpriced place, but that's just MY preference. Red Sea Relax also have a bar/restaurant called Churchill's which has decent enough western food and cheap beers.

As previous posters have said, you will enjoy your time in dahab, it's a nice chilled out town, even with all the development that's happened, and happening.

Enjoy your trip

I have had few problems with Nitrox in Dahab, but any I have had, I found as I always check the mix myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom