Tell us your most embarassing bloopers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks alot honey...you made me feel soooooo much better!
*grins and winks*

Seriously, it was a stupid thing to do...but believe me, I am now completely paranoid about that!

OK, here goes....

Myself and a couple friends decide to do a NJ Shore tour of beach dives over the course of a weekend. We each have 4 tanks and bunches of gear including my new lift bag that I wanted to try out.

One of the dive sites is the Manasquan Inlet Train Bridge dive. This is a tide dependent dive and visibilities are usually terrible. Anyways, this site is on our list so we all gear up, I strap my new liftbag to my BC and wait for slack time. We hop in and all head straight for the bottom, which is only about 20-30 feet. I take out my shovel tool and start digging in the mud got the heck of it and I hit something hard. I uncover some of the top and side to find its the shape of a chest with rope handles.I clip on my new 100lb lift bag to the rope handle and put some air in it as I try to alert my buddies that I needed help digging this box out.

We all surfaced with this box still stuck in the mud and my lift bag still clipped on and FULL of air... this thing wasn't moving. I told my friends about the box and notions of a "Treasure Chest" start swimming around in our minds and things get frantic. I go back to my truck and grab a second 50lb lift bag and jump back into the now 0ft vis after digging in the mud. Thank got the lift bag clipped on is bright yellow. After clipping on my second bag and filling it full we continue digging the Treasure Chest free. After freeing the chest fromteh mud and 150 lbs of lift on it, Its still not floating. I grab on to the other side and hand my weight belt to my buddy to hold and I inflate my 30lb BC full and am able to get this thing moving towards shore.

A short swim to the beach and 3 people drag it up on the beach. We all look at it with gold coins in our eyes... as we start to wipe the mud off we see are able to see what it is...

It said AC DELCO MARINE BATTERY. All that work for NOTHING. Oh well... the lift bag worked anyways.

I was watching experimented divers dive under the ice of Lac Delage in Québec, Canada when the people around started laughing.

One of the divers, a woman with already 200 dives, just got out of the water saying her lamp wasn't working. The dive master checked it and told her:

"You bring a lamp under water without checking it before?!"

We started laughing.

Then the dive master cried in laughter and told her:

"Even worse! You bring a lamp under water WITHOUT BATTERIES! Don't told anybody but she has 200 dives done!"

hehe well I TOLD you

I once was on a dive with potential currents leading to open water and a lane for large ships. Therefore, each buddy pair was carring a surface buoy. I was carrying the one for my team. To free my hands during entry I cliped the inflated buoy to my BCD. Then when we wanted to descend my buddy went down all-right but I just couldn't get under. Even trying a jack-knife didn't do it. Actually I tried several times before I remembered the buoy, which was right in my face! Embarassing.

DSAO

DSDAO, your buoy experience brought to mind one of my many exciting diving experiences. Many years ago when Viking Dry Suits first came out I was given one to wear when I demonstrate equipment. I was told you have to wear a lot more weight when diving one. Well, what is a lot more weight? I figured 60 lbs would do, and it did. I stepped off the back of the boat and the next thing I knew I was standing on the bottom (about 50 fsw) knee deep in silt mud. :confused: Mistake 2: I figured with a dry suit and that great valve that filled you up with air, you did not need a BC. So, standing on the bottom I start putting in the air. Wow, before long, I was weightless, kind of hovering over the bottom. Felt a little big however. Well, I saw a nice lobster in a hole and went for it. My feet went over my head and to my surprise, all the air filled my legs up about 10 times their size. Of course it blew my fins off. By the time I did all the stuff they told me to do in the event you ever have a blow up (knees to the chest, bla, bla, bla) I was breaching the surface. For those who were lucking enough to be looking to the port at the time I blew to the surface, they got to see a giant, orange whale pop out about 2 feet out of the water (so everyone said).:loopy:

That was the fastest ride to the surface I ever had!

Before my OW class which was to start in a month I rented a wet suit and went out to the lake to swim around I stopped at a place that not only divers used but fishermen shore fished, I made a mental note not to swim near them so not to get them mad or scare off any fish. I swam this way that way did serval snorkle clearing manuvers then my son wanted to go fishing got out changed clothes and was getting ready to get the fishing gear when here walks this same family that I saw and heard, while snorkling, carrying a bucket of fish, I asked them how the fishing was? what they used for bait? ect. when the father says "fishing was pretty good until this ()*&^*(&%swimmer scared all the fish away ". my son didn't hear those words as he was still changing his clothes.

now being a large guy 6'2" 280 lbs I smiled and replied "don't you mean the Whale." that mans eyes open so wide stepped back as his wife dropped her ice chest gasped. I laughed out loud and said "hey if your son thought I looked like a whale then I probly did, he's honest"

he apologized so many times I lost count

and I will not wear all black anymore.

Deep Sea your story about you and your buddy has got to be the best I've heard in a while!! I have a coupla experiences of my own to relate. Just between us right!! :)

The first takes place on a picture perfect day about 6 miles off shore with a boat full of hard core techies. On this boat it is not uncommon for even the slightist mistake not to go unnoticed and be the cause of much good natured ribbing for the rest of the season! I was a little preoccupied by diving a new computer and had spent an inordinate amount of time figuring out the profile manually, once done I checked and rechecked my rig, geared up and was first over the side. My longtime buddy was right behind me and we went through our inwater check in practiced precision. Once complete we started the descent...started the descent...to no avail, well there is still a weight belt nailed up to the Capt's cabin with my name on for all to see!! Talk about being humbled!!

The next event of noteworthy mention happened while I was asked to stand in for an instructor who couldn't dive to finish off his AOW class. We were doing the deep and wreck dives off a RHIB. I got the call and hustled down to the shop to pack my gear. Headed off to the warf where said instructor had the RHIB and students all ready to go. I quickly assembled my gear put it abaord then attempted to don my drysuit... only catch here was that I had grabbed the shop owner's wifes suit instead of mine! The students ( who were a little bit edgy anyway) were mortified! The instructor boat drive offered up his 4/3mm that he had worn for boat driving duty to which I accepted. The water at depth was 42 deg F, to this day these students still remark at how blue I was at 90'! I just tell them it was narcosis and the effects of light refraction that made them see the pretty shade of blue!!!

Not to be overly long here but the last one I will relate to this very private forum happened while I was conducting an O/W class. We were all kneeling on the bottom of the pool and doing reg R & R. This one lady removed the reg and replaced it seemed to gag a bit then returned the OK sign. I asked her to do the skill again as I wasn't satisfied she was comfortable with the skill. Again the same results. Again I asked her to do the skill again, she refused by shaking her head no and developed rather large eyes. On seeing this we stood up and I asked her what the problem was, it seems she was inhaling before exhaling and didn't like the taste of chlorinated water!!

Good people good times!

Reading all of these has been very funny! It will help me not feel so bad when I finally do something really stupid! LOL

Being pretty new to all of this, I'm sure it won't be long! :)

Like got4boyz, I can't claim a real "embarrasing" moment -- yet. But I know, my turn will come. I've helped a few newbies out of potentially - well red faces - in fact just last Saturday. The very last o/w (confined of course), one of the students is getting his gear together, when I heard the cry of "oh no" then *!&@*!&@. I hurried over, figuring equipment failure, but no. Much to my relief it was a case of "I forgot my swimsuit". You have to remember that it's the dead of winter here, so any of his street clothes were not appropriate as a temp solution. Fortunately for him, I had been trying on a dry suit earlier, and had brought my skin to help out the fitting. We all had a giggle, although the main colour is black, the accent is sort of a zebra stripe. We called him "Tarzen" for the class.

Some of the tales here have kept me laughing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom