Temperatures Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

52°F - 85°F depending upon the time of year.

In the Summer, it will be warmer on top, and cooler on bottom. In the Winter, it will be opposite, with cooler surface temps, and warmer at depth. Usually a few degrees difference. On recreational dives, it won't matter so much, because your bottom time will be limited, EXCEPT in the Winter when you get comfortable with the warmer bottom temp, and then you have to ascend into the colder layer and sit still for your safety stop (I'm getting cold just thinking about it).

Once NOAA fixes buoy 42012 (scheduled for sometime this month) you can check surface water temps to get a general idea for the area. You can probably expect around 65-70 degrees F on the surface around this time in November.

Alberto,
Temp is about 68 now, will drop to low 60's over the winter, depending on how cold the season is. Will become increasingly cooler on the surface and a bit warmer at depth. Typically one, sometimes two thermoclines. You do notice the change, especially on the way back up. The change doesn't always correspond to island, deck and bottom, but there is a change. Come see us.

Dr Dive,

Do you guys run trips to the oriskany year round? I will be in Alabama in January and February and would love to visit.

Crandolph,
Sorry I missed your post and question. We do run year round and the winter months bring us some of our best vis. Temps are as mentioned above, and the low end is governed by the overall severity of the winter between now and then. Water is still 68ish and will yo-yo around that for a while. Keep us in mind as your travel plans are set and we'd love to have you aboard.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
Dr Dive Pensacola, FL - Home of the USS Oriskany
drdive@drdive.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom