***thailand 2006***

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will almost certainly be going back to Phuket next April for a some diving. I plan to dive for the first week or so and then hang around for the Songkran Holiday.

I have spent a good amount of time in Phuket over the past few years, and have a good network of friends. So I can offer all kinds of advice about all kinds of things (diving, hotels, dive shops, nightlife, etc.).

So if you would like to arrange your trip around mine, great. If not, feel free to ask any questions you might have about the area.

Hi Jan,

Did you ever come up with a date for travel? Having never been anywhere close to Thailand could you possibly give me soem sort of idea what it would cost to travel there and dive? I'd love to go, but short of pole dancing :wink: I don't know if I could afford it.

Diver_Jan:
Anyone interested in going to Thailand next year??? We can start now, and use this thread as our planning thread.

Here are some basic questions:

When do you want to go?
Sometime between Jan - March; April - June; July - Sept; Oct - Dec???

How long would you like to stay?
7 days; 10 days; 14 days

Are you interested in diving only? Or would you like some sightseeing included?

What kind of accomodations would you like:
1) Live Aboard 2) Hotel 3) Condo 4) House 5) Hostel 6) All inclusive

Will you be needing a room mate? Do you want a room mate? Would you be willing to share a room with more than one person? ( 4 to a room)?

Are there specific sites that you would like to dive or see?

Please respond to these questions and feel free to ask any others that you might come up with. This will help me in researching the trip for us. I will be attending a Scuba Show in the very near future in which I can obtain alot of info.

I booked and paid for a trip next year. We are going in April. The rates are on sale now until the end of the month. I will be going for 17days with the Phuket add-on. April 16-29,2006. The rate includes Airfare from LAX or JFK, room, tours and several free days to go diving. If interested in checking out the package you can go to www.friendlyplanet.com You can make payments for example 350.00 down and pay the balance by Jan of 2006.....

I was there in Feb/Mar of 2001. I might be talked into a return since I didn't have my camera with me on that trip. Really enjoyed the diving on both coasts.

Keep in mind that monsoon seasons in the Gulf of Thailand and in the Andaman Sea are different. Since you are heading to Phuket, the Gulf sounds out. Consider the Similans and maybe the Mergui Archipelago.

Will keep tuned in to this thread to see how things develop.

Bill

down4fun:
Hi Jan,

Did you ever come up with a date for travel? Having never been anywhere close to Thailand could you possibly give me soem sort of idea what it would cost to travel there and dive? I'd love to go, but short of pole dancing :wink: I don't know if I could afford it.

:lol: must post pictures :wink:

down4fun:
Hi Jan,

Hey Kim,
Nice to see your still around! Jan may or may not be in for a trip to Thailand now. I sure still am interested though.
Thien, from the board PM'd me. He lives in Phuket and said that he would help us with info on housing and diving etc... He also mentioned coming down for the new year party during th first two weeks in Feb.
When I went the last time the most expensive part was the airfare. Once we got there everything was pretty inexpensive. Alot cheaper than Cozumel.
I have been watching fares to Thailand and from here right now they are running about $750.00 R/T.
If you are interested in getting something going with me, just say the word.
Maybe we could join in with djkpsu and crash his trip!

Scuba.ksue:
Maybe we could join in with djkpsu and crash his trip!

No worries. But I don't know exactly what I will be doing. I just rechecked the holidays schedules and it looks like things will work out just about perfect for me. Passover lays right overtop of Songkran.

So as long as my contract in Israel gets renewed my trip should go like this:

April 7-11 - Mermaid I to the Similans and Richelieu Rock
11-16 - Party it up in Patong
16-21 - Mermaid I to the Mergui Archipelago.

As far as air fares go, I have flown from the east coast (BWI) twice (12/03 & 06/04). Anything less then $1000 to BKK is good. BKK to HKT there are at least a dozen direct flights a day. I think they normally run about $150. I suggest you check the Thai Air website for flights to HKT, as Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz don't always pick up on all the flights. Also, the schedules from BWI to HKT have always required a night in BKK on each end.

Once I am able to confirm my plans, I will post them and if anyone would like to join me I may be able to arrange discounts on the liveaboards.

Doug

I just looked at my travel invoice for Thailand. I will be flying out of LAX April 12,2006 departing on April 28th. The total cost for two people including airfare, upscale hotel rooms and tours is 2586.00. Airfare is from LAX I will have to purchase tickets to LAX from Houston. The hotels I will be staying in are: Rimkok Resort in Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai Plaza hotel in Chiang Mai, Holiday Inn Silom in Bankok, Novotel Resort in Phuket. The trip I purchased has many free days for diving. If anyone is going to be in Thailand at this time and want to get together to dive let me know...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom