Thank Goodness for Windows XP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The big issue is that you pay a price to be on the leading edge (sometimes called the ‘Bleeding Edge’) with any type of software. This has been particularly true with Windows.

I have used every version of Windows since 1.0 and each transition has had its own set of problems. Most of these revolve around making older software and peripherals work. Secondly, is stability!

Windows ME was just horrible, Windows NT 4.0 did become stable until Service Pack 4 and my perfectly good HP scanner no longer had drivers in XP!

As I stated previously, the business community is the biggest reason for the slow adoption of Vista.

A recent IT Kace survey (July 2008) found:

60 percent of the survey respondents indicated they have no plans to deploy Vista
at this time, up from 53 percent in the 2007 survey;

92 percent indicated Vista Service Pack 1 has not changed their plans for Vista
deployment;

65 percent said it is challenging to obtain the expertise needed to manage multiple
operating systems, up from 49 percent in November 2007;

83 percent revealed they are concerned about the compatibility of required
business software with Vista;

41 percent of the respondents reported it is challenging to secure multiple operating
systems, up from 25 percent in November 2007.

Ha, I used Windows 1.0 and found it so clutzy that I didn't use Windows again until 3.0 came out. One of the reasons I like Linux is the ability to do some amazing things from the command line... stuff a GUI (not to be confused with GUE) can't do!

Bill,

I work in the CLI (Command Line Interpreter) environment most of each day. The tools I use for embedded development are keyed that way. And, I can type faster than I can move a mouse!!!!!

You can bring most of the Unix tools to a DOS Box with: Native Win32 ports of some GNU utilities

Chuck

PS Yes, Windows 1.0 was a toy. Even Windows 2 was used mostly as an integration environment for DOS programs. Remember PIF files??????

Back
Top Bottom