Thanks for Good Advice on batteries and chargers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW there are reports of the Ultrafires, and similar fake/crap batteries undergoing spontaneous venting and combustion, when not even being used or charging. They ARE potentially dangerous and one of the reasons lithium chemistry has a dubious reputation. Combine that with users that don't have a clue and there is a recipe for disappointment and possible pyrotechnics.

You are aware that one of the fastest ways to get a lithium fire is cut open a cell? Not advised unless you absolutely KNOW what you are getting in to, and the cell is DEAD.

FWIW there are reports of the Ultrafires, and similar fake/crap batteries undergoing spontaneous venting and combustion, when not even being used or charging. They ARE potentially dangerous and one of the reasons lithium chemistry has a dubious reputation. Combine that with users that don't have a clue and there is a recipe for disappointment and possible pyrotechnics.

You are aware that one of the fastest ways to get a lithium fire is cut open a cell? Not advised unless you absolutely KNOW what you are getting in to, and the cell is DEAD.

Yes I know that cutting open a cell can cause a short and a fire. The battery in question was dead and still got hot when the wire connection between the positive terminal and the actual end of the battery touched the case and as a safety precaution I cut it open with a tube cutter on the edge of my fire pit outside and away from flammable materials. I was just curious how a battery that was supposed to be equivalent weighed less than half of the others I already had. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

Although I can't seem to locate a handful of my 18650's for some reason, here's the test results from the LiitoKala:

Reclaimed Cells:
765 Label: SAMSUNG SDI / 1B44 / ICR18650-22H
477 Label: SAMSUNG SDI / 1B44 / ICR18650-22H
647 Label: SAMSUNG SDI / 1B44 / ICR18650-22H
2,355 Label: Sony 08 / SE US18650GR / T 8G123RJ21L
2,363 Label: Sony 08 / SE US18650GR / T 8G123RJ21L
2,403 Label: Sony 08 / SE US18650GR / T 8G123RJ21L

Purchased cells:
905 Label: UltraFire® / BRC 18650 4000mAh / 3.7V li-ion
834 Label: UltraFire® / BRC 18650 4000mAh / 3.7V li-ion

Thanks again for the heads up on this charger, guys. Now at least I know what's what. I guess I'll continue hunting for more battery packs until I come up with more "good" cells.

Does anyone know what the top end is for 18650 cell capacity?

For Samsung that last letter [ICR18650-22H] indicates it should be 2200mA.....so those are pretty much shot. I'd discharge and chuck them. AAA cells have more capacity, though at a lower voltage.
This the Sony? Probably fine, possibly quite decent.

ANY cell marketed above 3500mA, which is the current MAX, it going to be junk. Generally the larger the fabrication, the worse the cell. I'd only use the UF cells to 'play' with. I would not use them where they can't be monitored, and I certainly would not trust them.

Even the top end (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG) 3400-3500 cells come out about 3200-3400 most of the time.

My "good" 18650s were rated at 3400 and test between 3100 and 3300.

They are solid red exterior and are Sanyo NCR 18650 BF batteries (according to the eBay seller - I can't remember if they say Sanyo anywhere or not - too lazy to go upstairs and look).

Yeah finding the right place to buy the batteries seems to be a real trick. I'm fairly certain I read a thread on candlepowerforums where a user was talking about a cell from one of those having problems. Too bad none of the manufacturers sell directly or have an authorized reseller list...

For now, I've got a steady supply of old laptops to reclaim cells from which suits me just fine.

Last edited:
I bought some 26650 batteries on eBay. They tested at less than half the rated capacity. I notified the seller and they refunded me all my money and told me to keep the batteries.

As long as they are on eBay with PayPal protection offered, I will continue to buy batteries that way. The only real downside I see is if you're in a hurry to get some good new cells. In that case, the time spent going through bad cells to end up with some good ones could be a problem. But, I've bought 5 or 6 batches of batteries from eBay and only had the 1 batch that were crap.

I DO usually look for sellers where the product is shipping from somewhere in North America. Sometimes that means a very slightly higher price, but I'm okay with that.

Back
Top Bottom