The Age of Aquarius: A Message for New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Tonight, on the TV show Nightline, Dr. Sylvia Earle was being interviewed by ABC correspondent Bob Weir from the Aquarius habitat off Key Largo, FL. The interview focused on the fact that government cutbacks might close the Aquarius reef base and about her concerns regarding the future sustainability of our oceans.

Every decade of our sport has been defined by its fad. In the 1950's it was spearfishing. In the 1960's it was treasure diving. In the 1970's it was exploration and living in the sea. The 1980's brought us travel and resort diving. The 1990's saw the birth of technical diving. The first decade of the new millennium has been the advancement of rebreather technology. What's next?

What's next is going to up to you new divers and those thinking about diving. As I write this I'm 44 years old. When I started snorkeling as a child in the mid 1970's Jacques Cousteau was my hero. In his television show, The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, he warned us about climate change and stressed seas and the importance of conservation for our planet. Nearly 40 years later and some people are in still in denial that Earth is struggling against negative human impact.

Saving our planet, I'm afraid, will need to become your mission. But, while this task may end up falling upon you, your rewards will probably be greater than any of us have ever known.

Most of us have lost the plot. Today's diver is focused upon himself rather than his environment. Arguments about training, skills, and gear configurations have taken up way too much time and effort in social media and placed way too much emphasis on what's important. Today's diver has turned the sport primarily into a competition - diving and exploration seem ego-driven. Today's instructors are competing with one another by turning students into swimming billboards of prowess and perfection. While all of this has probably made diving safer and changed the face of the sport, I think that this wave is closing out.

Become skilled, knowledgeable, and good divers, but forget about the quest for perfection. Don't let perfection become the enemy of the good. Turn the focus of diving away from the diver and back into what is to be dived.

I hope that the next decades of diving find divers with a new interest in the beauty and importance of the environment like never before. I hope that you will abandon chasing C-cards and seek more experiences and put away agency politics and philosophic arguments and join together to bring about a new "Age of Aquarius" in which the underwater realm is enjoyed, loved, discovered and protected. I don't have the answers to how you can save the planet, but I'm sure as you discover the answers the rewards will be tremendous.

No matter what you do for a living, how often you dive, or what your diving interests will be, I hope each of you will use your vocational connections and your avocational passions toward saving our aquatic and ocean realms. Welcome to diving. We need you.

Last edited:
Ah, Trace my friend, for a "youngster" (tee hee) you are quite the sage.

I was privileged to work with Sylvia on Cousteau programs back in the mid 1970s and she later became a board member of the small private school I taught marine biology at. She has long been a beacon of truth about our oceans and it is a shame that Danny Quayle couldn't handle the truth.

I so agree with what you've written. I've never concerned myself with form or gear configurations (as anyone who has seen me flailing underwater can attest to)... it has always been about the critters and the ecosystems they reside in for me (as it should be for a marine biologist). Over the many decades I've dived, mostly here off Catalina Island, I've seen our once numerous shark populations decimated to the point where we stopped having shark dives altogether. I've seen the once abundant abalone populations diminish to near regional extinction due to overharvesting and withering disease. I've seen highly invasive non-native species largely overtake our kelp forest and coral reef habitats.

Fortunately I've also watched the apparent recovery of species like the giant sea bass (Stereolepis gigas), the great white, the soupfin or tope shark and most recently a noticeable increase in the green and pink abalone populations. Despite the declines and deterioration, I like to focus on the recoveries which were often triggered when divers observed them and notified authorities about these issues in time for action to be taken. I am an optimistic at heart (although at times it is difficult) and hope that more divers will find that increasing their knowledge about the unique environments and critters they observe beneath the sea is the most important way that their love of diving can increase over time rather than dissipate. One can only buy so many new technological wonders or practice drills so many times before boredom sets in. I've dived the same waters now for 43 years and have thousands of dives at one site alone, but so often see new behavior or even a new species that keeps my interest.

Please, no one take the above as a criticism of those who enjoy technical diving. Their particular passion requires appropriate equipment and training/drills for tjhe type of diving they do. I have seen those in the GUE community perform environmental acts that those of us who only dive the gas God gave us could not effectively do. For example the work of tech divers like Karim and the Hollywoodivers crew in clearing entangled nets off the wreck of the Infidel and their other work with Kurt Lieber's Ocean Defenders Alliance. And one of the best buddies I've had while filming was GUE instructor Steve Millington who knows how to have fun diving and also to enjoy critters.

I don't think a focus on polishing diving skills (note that I did NOT say perfecting, 'cuz ain't none of us perfect) is incompatible with a fascinating with the marine world, or a desire to preserve it.

Look at Project Baseline, one of the central focuses of one of the agencies I believe you are castigating . . . ALL of the baseline membership fees from GUE are going to this now, as well as the first $39 of ANY level of membership. That's a pretty strong commitment to the underwater environment.

What's next is bringing awareness to people who don't dive. Until recently, images of undersea life were limited to a handful of photographers and magazines ... and a very limited audience. The age of digital photography, inexpensive video systems and social media have changed all that. Now virtually anyone can capture images underwater and make them widely available to large audiences. It's one thing to say that a given animal is being hunted to extinction ... it's another thing entirely to see graphic video of sharks with their fins hacked off being carelessly tossed back into the sea. It's one thing to say that urban pollution is threatening coastal waters ... it's another entirely to see videos of black plumes spilling out of drain pipes, turning areas around it into an aquatic version of Mordor.

People who don't dive treasure their waterfront views. But they don't see the threat to those views from the surface. There are a lot more of them than us ... and folks who own waterfront property tend to have the wealth and influence needed to make changes happen. Showing them what's going on below their serene scenery is an important part of affecting change ... because ultimately we all act in our own self-interest.

The Age of Aquarius is digital ... and the generation who will know how to make best use of it is just now coming into its own.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What's next is bringing awareness to people who don't dive.

Precisely, Bob. My "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" and "Munching and Mating in the Macrocystis" cable TV shows (and weekly newspaper column) were created to reach non-divers and get them to learn about, love and protect our local SoCal kelp forest critters. I'm amused at how many divers think they know everything there is to know about our marine life (I wish I did) and don't watch the shows. One of my greatest joys is when a non-diver (a grocery store checker, hotel clerk, restaurant wait staff, etc.) stops me and says how much they enjoy my weekly column or daily cable TV shows. Divers are a fairly small community. To preserve what we love requires exposing non-divers to the world beneath the sea just as The Captain did for many of us before we started.

Lynne, I'm not castigating any agency or saying that working on skills isn't important. To address extremes, some divers are spending too much money on endless education and some divers are spending too much time training to look good. I'm suggesting that good is good enough.

---------- Post added February 7th, 2013 at 05:00 PM ----------

Dr. Bill, I believe you and Dr. Earle hail from the same illustrious educational institution as well?

---------- Post added February 7th, 2013 at 05:00 PM ----------

Henrik, you look great! Go have fun, my friend. :D

---------- Post added February 7th, 2013 at 05:02 PM ----------

Bob, I think you are probably right. Good point about what may be next.

Why does it have to end at the waters edge? Everywhere I look I see changes we can each perform as individuals. How about picking up that piece of trash that isn't yours for starters? Or not using plastic bags from the grocery store. How about getting your friends not to use plastic bags from the grocery store? Teaching the next generation not to throw their liter on the ground would be a good start too (Something I saw happen the other day and the mom watched it without saying a word).

If we just left nature alone it would take care of itself...but we just can't do that, so we have to intervene.

Sadly this is the way our creek system looks and in some places it is worse.

Plastic creek.jpg

What beautiful jelly fish...wait something is wrong here?

Plastic Ocean.jpg

some divers are spending too much money on endless education and some divers are spending too much time training to look good.

Just when I was about to give you a call......

...Today's diver has turned the sport primarily into a competition - diving and exploration seem ego-driven. Today's instructors are competing with one another by turning students into swimming billboards of prowess and perfection. While all of this has probably made diving safer and changed the face of the sport, I think that this wave is closing out.

Become skilled, knowledgeable, and good divers, but forget about the quest for perfection. Don't let perfection become the enemy of the good. Turn the focus of diving away from the diver and back into what is to be dived...

Excellent point, very well said Trace.

If we don't "stop & smell the flowers" so to speak, those strived for perfection skills will be absolutely unnecessary!

Thanks for reminding me to take the time to just stop & observe my surroundings, after that's what I'm there for.

Back
Top Bottom