The Beginner's Mixture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not think so.

A beginning diver has enough on his plate diving the walls in the Caribbean without worrying that he might be breathing a toxic gas at 110ft.

Well I guess I was thinking that Nitrox is a mixture perfect for diving shallow. If the Diver wants to go deep; Nitrox is the wrong gas to use.

Well I guess I was thinking that Nitrox is a mixture perfect for diving shallow. If the Diver wants to go deep; Nitrox is the wrong gas to use.

I was thinking along the same lines as SailNaked. We've seen many posts by new divers that have that desire to "go deep" post cert, thus my 200' comment (although that might be a tad extreme.)

I would hope not. You are task-loading a new diver as is. So then you want to really train him in the ins and outs of EAD, MOD, good old Dalton's Diamond, and the rest while they are trying to figure out air dive tables and refine their buoyancy, work on finning, and figure out navigating?

Not this instructor.

I was thinking along the same lines as SailNaked. We've seen many posts by new divers that have that desire to "go deep" post cert, thus my 200' comment (although that might be a tad extreme.)

Yes definitely a tad... :)

As it is in the southern west U.S. dive shops are dropping like flys, it is getting harder to find shops that will provide anything but the bare Grade E air.

There are the few shops that are doing good and offer the more expensive fills and gases, but they are also pushing rebreathers now as the next step. I think that it is remotely possible that rebreather technology might become cheap enough for the serious to average diver to buy one. Then who needs Nitrox?

I would hope not. You are task-loading a new diver as is. So then you want to really train him in the ins and outs of EAD, MOD, good old Dalton's Diamond, and the rest while they are trying to figure out air dive tables and refine their buoyancy, work on finning, and figure out navigating?

Not this instructor.

If you read the question closely, I have not stated my opinion on the subject. The point is that at shallow depths, Nitrox has several safety advantages over air. I teach differently than most Instructors; running a much longer course. I don't perceive task loading to be a problem. I have my personal opinions, but am interested in the opinions of others. Thanks for your comments.

If you read the question closely, I have not stated my opinion on the subject. The point is that at shallow depths, Nitrox has several safety advantages over air. I teach differently than most Instructors; running a much longer course. I don't perceive task loading to be a problem. I have my personal opinions, but am interested in the opinions of others. Thanks for your comments.

I know you didn't. You asked for mine. So I gave it.

I agree that it is the greatest thing ever at shallow depths. I use it period. But. It is definitely Not the greatest thing to add to a new diver's learning roster...... in my opinion..:D
Oh, note to self. I Never run the short course... I go the long road and my divers are independent strong divers. But, I still would never add a nitrox course in it. It's too much.

The point is that at shallow depths, Nitrox has several safety advantages over air.

Such as?

I think that it is remotely possible that rebreather technology might become cheap enough for the serious to average diver to buy one. Then who needs Nitrox?

Bailout.

Depending on the location I think it would be a positive addition.

Starting with hard bottom sites would be a requirement of course. So, the new diver starts up inhaling a full bottle in a blink of an eye so for the very first few dives probably it makes no difference, but knowing that you have a lot of minutes before a deco obligation sits better in your mind than only having a few minutes left. This factor would reduce the amount of immediate things to worry about.
Then as the divers chill a little and their gas consumption gets better, it allows additional bottom time to work on their skills longer and truly enjoy their dives.

The few times I end up doing shallow dives with plain air, aggravates me to no end having to come to the surface before getting cold with tons of air left in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom