The best and worst of your dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whites Aquapro, 1000+ dives
Whites polar flex, 1500+ dives
Whites Fusion(shop demo), 2 dives
Bare NexGen, 400+ dives
DUI FLX(loaner), 35 dives
Whites Fusion Bullet, 0 dives. Zero dives? Yes, got it 2 weeks ago, wrist seals too large, found out they were "previously trimmed", still waiting on new seals. Even with friends at the factory, I have to wait ( maybe they don't like me).

So far, I have to say I like the fusion for its flexibility (valve drills and tight spaces should be no problem), no issues at all putting it on, quality workmanship (my wife was fitted personally by Frank White jr for her custom suit, not part of my suit but I like to include that!), pockets hold everything they should and looks to be "bullet-proof"(sorry).

1. What dry suit do you own? How long have you had it, and how many dives have you put on it?

2. What's your favorite thing about the suit?

3. What's your least favorite thing about the suit?

1. Bare XCD2. I have had it for 2 seasons. Have about 60 dives in it.

2. I love the "built in" boots. My wife has a DUI with turbosoles and her fin strap always gets stuck between her foot and the sole. That would drive me nuts. Love the warmth. It is pretty close to diving a wetsuit in the sense of drag, etc. Motion is still a bit limited though.

3. When I first got the suit I hated it, it felt like a strait-jacket. Now that I have gotten used to it, it seems much better. I bought off-the-rack, so perhaps a custom fit would have been better. The neoprene neck seal is nice and warm but it sucks getting it off and on. It takes forever to dry and is heavy.

I think my next suit will be a trilam, but who knows what will be available when I start looking for a new suit. The one I have has been pretty durable.

Scubapro Fjord Heavy Duty: 100 dives within 16 months

Pros:
-The suit fits like a tailored Armani
-Very Durable with a soft Cordura shell
-Self donning
-Socks
-No leaks (touch wood)

Cons:
-Pockets could be larger

Now diving a HOG Predator. going on two years. around 150 dives from under the ice to semi warm quarries.
Likes, tough as nails
Doesn't seem to try to snag on anything
Zippered pockets as oposed to velcro
Cuffs protect the wrist seals and boot tops, collar covers the neck seal.
Easy to get on and off without help. Great for solo diving.
Dries fast

Dislikes - not as flexible as my GF's Edge suit.
Kinda heavy
Boot sole could be thicker, We have lots of rocks around here to walk over.

1. Dive Rite 905, November 2006, 175+ dives.
2. Sturdy material and zipper.
3. Really cheap boots that had to be replaced. Seams seem weak.

1). DUI TLS350 since 2010. Has close to 200 dives on it.

2). Easy to don and doff the suit. Easy to change from wrist seals to Smurf gloves with its zip seal system, and able to swap out torn neck or wrist seals at site quickly. Leaks when there is operator error. :blush:

3). Turbo soles and suspenders are not as robust as others manufacturers. Turbo soles are floppy and need fin keepers to keep them in place. The fit on my custom suit is still big despite several alterations by DUI. :depressed:

1. DUI TLS350, About 18 months, 200+ dives

2. LOVE LOVE LOVE the way it dives, (weight, buoyancy characteristics, etc) and the ease of donning/doffing. Dries quick.

3. Do NOT love the fact that I have had very very very bad luck luck with leaking. Have replaced seals once already and probably need to do so again soon. Suit is back at DUI for what I assume will be a zipper replacement. (Granted, I DO dive the suit ... )

Will get a Flx Extreme for my next suit, from what I have heard they hold up very well.

i have a new old stock andy's - was ordered custom & the customer never picked it up so i bought it for a song...lalalala. got it dec 09, have about 150 dives or so on it

like - the fit except this last year when it seems to have shrunk...
it has never leaked except at the seals
it has 'turbofeet' - firm rubbery booties like wellies from mid-shin down, so not floppy
dries relatively fast
love the pockets
love the zipper, a 'u' shape in the front like a fusion, so easy to self-zip

don't like - the dump is very slow and in an awkward spot. i really have to maneuver and usually end up milking the bubble out with my other hand.
i'm on my third intake valve. they keep auto-inflating.
the suspenders are weak & might as well not be there. plus they're always wet. always.

Whites Catalyst 360 over 100 dives.
Super tough, easy to use and warm.
The suspenders are a weak point but not so much as to make do anything about it.

Whites catalyst its brand new demo model that was in storage for years. It has the diaganal zipper so it takes two donn and doff it. It does fit great but have yet to dive with it. I love the fact that it was 1/4 of a new catalyst

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom