The best stand alone Pressure Gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just read the Scared post. The Sherwood gauge looks pretty good. May be the same style as those big old ones. If Sherwood one has a plastic face, then you can live with that. I looked at the big old Dacor that my daughter used today, and it has a removable plastic face. You could bonk somebody over the head with it, and make a big "ouch". It is at least 10 years old, accurate, and has plently of life left.

tribaltim:
Also does anyone make a digital Pressure Gauge?

I should have added to my post that yes there is a digital SPG. UWATEC made one several years ago. You could set it for PSI or BAR and have an alarm for a minimum pressure. I do not think they have been made for about 5 years now so they are probably hard to come by. No one else is making anything that I know of. As I mentioned I would just get a brass gauge. They would cost less and then you do nt need to worry about a battery dying.

No plastic! They are of lesser quality, and won't last as long, or be as reliable. Stick with a brass and glass analog guage. It's essential gear, and it's best to buy quality. and keep it simple. I prefer the 2'' guage over the larger style. They seem to bump and hook onto everything, aside from being too heavy. The little 2'' guage fits right in the hand nicely, and is never in the way.

I just got one of the large Dive Rite SPGs. It, like most of the Brass ones, is made in Italy, has a substantial heft, and makes the small brass OMS one that I have seem wimpy by comparison.

It's not really a question of "manliness", or "wimpiness" in an SPG.
If you need the large guage for reasons of poor sight or other problems that make it easier to use a guage that large, then that's what you should use. The question is one of quality, and there is no difference between large and small faced guages of the same type. The smaller guage is simply less of a protrusion and offers less in the way of being damaged, or hung up on a wreck, ect. And the smaller face is not harder to read, if you have taken time to be farmilliar with it, as you should with all of your gear.

dbg40:
he smaller guage is simply less of a protrusion and offers less in the way of being damaged, or hung up on a wreck, ect. And the smaller face is not harder to read, if you have taken time to be farmilliar with it, as you should with all of your gear.

The small guage I had, had small numbers and very light graduations. I wanted to get my pressure in a glance, and it was taking too long. The Dive Rite has heavy type and large numbers. Works for me. Simple as that.

PerroneFord:
The small guage I had, had small numbers and very light graduations. I wanted to get my pressure in a glance, and it was taking too long. The Dive Rite has heavy type and large numbers. Works for me. Simple as that.

I've found the best way to get my pressure with a quick glance is to use the same gauge on all bottles (back gas, stage, deco) This way I get used to the gauge and can read it much faster. This works for me better than if a gauge has color or not, red zone or not.

Best,

Chris

dbg40:
It's not really a question of "manliness", or "wimpiness" in an SPG.

I beg to differ. If you are happy with less robust gear, that's good for you. There are tons of cheap, plastic stuff out there. You can buy a new one every year or so when your old one gets too banged up to work. I prefer to buy well made equipment once. My large Dive Rite is easier to read and looks more durable than my OMS. My OMS looks more durable than any plastic SPG I've seen.

I'm not really sure you have to be able to read the numbers as long as you are familiar with your guage. It's kind of like being able to tell what time it is without any numbers on your watch.

cerich:
I've found the best way to get my pressure with a quick glance is to use the same gauge on all bottles (back gas, stage, deco) This way I get used to the gauge and can read it much faster. This works for me better than if a gauge has color or not, red zone or not.

Best,

Chris

Interesting :)

Didn't you say this in an earlier post ?

I prefer Brass/Glass on my tech rig for my backgas. For my deco and stage regs I prefer plastic to keep it light and not as nose heavy unless I'm going below 300' then I will have all brass/glass on my stage regs so I dont have the needle "pinned" by the pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom