The Canadian Seal Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatic Eagle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Over the past few weeks, there have been some interesting discussions about the whaling in Antarctica and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. Overall, there have been some that support the Sea Shepherds' attempts to stop whaling while others oppose them. I'd like to hear people's opinions of the Canadian seal hunt and opinions of the Sea Shepherds' role in this campaign. The Sea Shepherds' goals for this campaign are only to document the slaughter, not to interfere. Documenting the slaughter is technically breaking Canadian law so I don't think the Sea Shepherds want to push their limits much.

Humane Society

Sea Shepherd Seal Campaign

Youtube video of the slaughter **Graphic**

I support their efforts in this area. 'Traditional' practices, steeped in barbarity, should not be protected no matter who carries them out.

As a supporter of Sea Shepherd my position on this one is obvious. I'm against it.

Why use the word slaughter?
Should we question was is done in the nations slaughter houses.
Are we going to say that fishermen engage in tuna slaughter, haddock slaughter.
Pretty soon lumbermen will be accused of tree slaughtering.
Its the same choice of word used to impress public opinion when they say: "baby" seals.

The harvesting of seals is a traditional activity that keeps people in small communities from living on welfare. The seal population is large enough to sustain it.

Sea Sheperd uses this time of the year to get more visibility = more financing.

I don't know about the methods they use, or if they're breaking laws. However, I do know they have to work efficiently to take out as many seals as possible. There are way to many of them up there.

Over the past few weeks, there have been some interesting discussions about the whaling in Antarctica and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. Overall, there have been some that support the Sea Shepherds' attempts to stop whaling while others oppose them. I'd like to hear people's opinions of the Canadian seal hunt and opinions of the Sea Shepherds' role in this campaign. The Sea Shepherds' goals for this campaign are only to document the slaughter, not to interfere. Documenting the slaughter is technically breaking Canadian law so I don't think the Sea Shepherds want to push their limits much.

Humane Society

Sea Shepherd Seal Campaign

Youtube video of the slaughter **Graphic**

Naturediver, How about Greenpeace? did you find something recent on the seal hunt with the Greenpeace organization? Try their official internet website. You wont find much.

SS and Humane society are pointless

btw, in the video you gave a link of, they show a white baby seal. They have not been hunted for years.

There are no pretty way to die. The methods used for seals are the less cruel possible. Much less cruel than in many slaughterhouses. Dont let yourself be fooled by propaganda videos.

Why use the word slaughter?
Should we question was is done in the nations slaughter houses.
Are we going to say that fishermen engage in tuna slaughter, haddock slaughter.
Pretty soon lumbermen will be accused of tree slaughtering.
Its the same choice of word used to impress public opinion when they say: "baby" seals.

Have you watched the video? It's disgusting. Bashing a seal's skull in repeatedly is not what I would call humane. In the video there is a shot of a man racing up to bash a seal and just as he gets to it, another man pops into view. It's almost like they were racing to see who would get to it first. Having a bit too much fun with this if you ask me.

I do like the use of the word "harvest" instead of hunt though. You harvest corn, you don't hunt it. The word "hunt" implies that the subject has some way of defending itself.

Naturediver, How about Greenpeace? did you find something recent on the seal hunt with the Greenpeace organization? Try their official internet website. You wont find much.

SS and Humane society are pointless

btw, in the video you gave a link of, they show a white baby seal. They have not been hunted for years.

There are no pretty way to die. The methods used for seals are the less cruel possible. Much less cruel than in many slaughterhouses. Dont let yourself be fooled by propaganda videos.

I'm just responding to what I see in the videos. They aren't faked. In the videos it looks like there's a bit too much pleasure involved in the seal bashing to be purely business. If the hunt must happen, wouldn't shooting them in the head be a bit quicker and more painless? I guess that wouldn't be cost efficient though with all of the bullets they'd have to buy. What about skinning them alive? Humane?

The word "hunt" implies that the hunted has some way of defending itself.

No it doesn't. -Unless you've got it confused with "Man Hunt" in some late night movie or something, where "the hunted" has a gun... :wink::wink::wink:

Man has always been hunting to provide food for his family. And it has never had to be a degree of sport in it to be called a hunt. The more efficient, the better. Modern leisure hunting is not the only form of hunting, so I call you're wrong here my friend. Nothing personal though, so please hit the message, not the person! :D

Oh for crying out loud! The seal "slaughter" as you put it is a legal hunt of a species of animal that just happens to have cute dolefull eyes. If it were rats they were hunting no one would care. Seal are abundant, the hunt is controlled by the government and is carried out in a way that is as humame as killing an animal can be.
What about all them poor cows that are killed to make all them fatty McBurgers. No one is whining about that and yet in some parts of the world they are considered sacred.
Let's use some perspective here.:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom