The Canadian Seal Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

also, if you shoot a seal with a gun and it dies in the water, it will sink and go to waste.

No, what I meant is holding a 22 to the forehead, between the eyes. I know the argument about "leaving holes in the pelt"... But, geez, so what, if it is more humane. I am not saying clubbing is not humane, I am not aware of the efficiency of clubbing.

In cattle, they do use a pneumatic gun that fire a rod into the brain. In chicken and turkey, they are shocked first, and a knife cuts their neck. These methods are relatively humane.

I don't know enough about clubbing, but my guess is that a bullet to the head is more humane. Argue to me about the value loss to the pelt... but if it is not more than 10 or 20% loss in pelt... and more humane, it should be the way to go.

There is much that the animal industry can do to improve animal welfare, and so is hunting and trapping techniques. There are more cruel things that I see happening every day, that I and other need to work on improving in the animal husbandry area. I think this issue with the seal is only because they are cute and cuddly.

No, what I meant is holding a 22 to the forehead, between the eyes. I know the argument about "leaving holes in the pelt"... But, geez, so what, if it is more humane. I am not saying clubbing is not humane, I am not aware of the efficiency of clubbing.

In cattle, they do use a pneumatic gun that fire a rod into the brain. In chicken and turkey, they are shocked first, and a knife cuts their neck. These methods are relatively humane.

I don't know enough about clubbing, but my guess is that a bullet to the head is more humane. Argue to me about the value loss to the pelt... but if it is not more than 10 or 20% loss in pelt... and more humane, it should be the way to go.

There is much that the animal industry can do to improve animal welfare, and so is hunting and trapping techniques. There are more cruel things that I see happening every day, that I and other need to work on improving in the animal husbandry area. I think this issue with the seal is only because they are cute and cuddly.

fair enough. But methods have been studied and clubbing is the most efficient and humane way known. I think the Canadian Veterinary Journal is a valid source. The skull of these animals is as easy to break as an eggshell. Once it's broken, it's over.

Wardric says;
"I think all of the seal must be used. meat, bones, fur."
Not the case at all. The carcass is wasted.

No there not! How do get away with just saying that kind of rhetoric? Point no in evidence site your contention!

Wardric says;
"I think all of the seal must be used. meat, bones, fur."
Not the case at all. The carcass is wasted.

You buy everything you see on that video :shakehead:.

You take a plane and go to the Magdalen Islands, Newfoundland and lower north shore and you can order a seal steak at the local restaurant. For a lot of people in those regions it's a quality source of protein when a dozen eggs cost $8.

Even if it spreads fails hoods and supports wacko PETA nuts? Just the right kind to bolster your credibility!

I am really dissappointed with StevenN's and rookers's behaviour and hereby make a complaint. I couldn't care less about your spelling and grammar anyways, since it has nothing to do with the issue of this thread. You are targeting the messenger, not the message. Way to go - not!

Back
Top Bottom