The Canadian Seal Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just responding to what I see in the videos. They aren't faked. In the videos it looks like there's a bit too much pleasure involved in the seal bashing to be purely business. If the hunt must happen, wouldn't shooting them in the head be a bit quicker and more painless? I guess that wouldn't be cost efficient though with all of the bullets they'd have to buy. What about skinning them alive? Humane?

Those guys are more running on ice slush than on ice. It doesn't at all seem to me as they are having fun. I'd rather say they look focused to stay dry and alive...

Shooting the seals in the head would likely be ok if they could. But you'd get one seal only because the rest would likely get into the water when the first shot goes off. As you see the boats and the ice are moving. From my hunting experience, shooting at a moving "target" (live animal!) is difficult enough. Then add that you'd be on a moving boat deck yourself, it's impossible unless you are willing to accept a lot of misses. I wouldn't be, so I'd pass on the chance in any of my hunting situations in the woods. Those clubs ARE effective. Even if it looks primitive.

I'm just responding to what I see in the videos. They aren't faked. In the videos it looks like there's a bit too much pleasure involved in the seal bashing to be purely business. If the hunt must happen, wouldn't shooting them in the head be a bit quicker and more painless? I guess that wouldn't be cost efficient though with all of the bullets they'd have to buy. What about skinning them alive? Humane?

You can see on the video that the hunters are taking pleasure from that action :confused:.
You don't even see their faces.

Like Wardric says there is no nice and neat way to kill.
I have seen how they kill chickens and pigs, after electrocution they cut their jugular and you can see them twitch for some minutes on the hook they are hanging from.

After the first blow the animal is out and anything that happens after that it does not feel it.

They have inspectors and vets that oversee the operation. It is no longer what you see on these 20 year old movies.

Again it's all a matter of money. Donation is one of the first word you see on their web site.

Oh for crying out loud! The seal "slaughter" as you put it is a legal hunt of a species of animal that just happens to have cute dolefull eyes. If it were rats they were hunting no one would care. Seal are abundant, the hunt is controlled by the government and is carried out in a way that is as humame as killing an animal can be.
What about all them poor cows that are killed to make all them fatty McBurgers. No one is whining about that and yet in some parts of the world they are considered sacred.
Let's use some perspective here.:shakehead:

My problem is more with the methods used than the act itself. I agree with you about the cows, it's just not marine-related so I don't bring it up here.

My problem is more with the methods used than the act itself. I agree with you about the cows, it's just not marine-related so I don't bring it up here.

From the way you paint your picture I'm not convinced... :wink:

Clubs are actually an effective and "humane" way to get off with as many seals as possible. -Which is the task they're out for here. I really can't think of a better way, and a lot of educated people have tried to figure out something. I've watched the movie twice and I've seen much much "worse" in real life in other situations. Although it's not at all as bad as it may seem for the outsider.

Tell PETA to go drowned themselves! The Club is not just a good way to keep your car from getting stolen! It saves the pelt and it is quick and painless! If you don't believe me come over and I will show you! :wink::D:11:

If the method is inhumane, there are more efficient methods available, and should be enforced. I am sure pneumatic nail gun like devices that run on compressed air can be utilized. Inexpensive 22 LR rounds, etc...

To complain about the seal harvest, but willing to eat egg, veal, pork, and meat product is hypocritical. There is much that can be done to improve animal welfare, and I am sure PETA and the humane society has done much to that cause, and I applaud them.

But the issue of wildlife harvesting should focus on humane methods, and not on cute and cuddly faces.

I love a good steak! Do Vegans believe in breast feeding and isn't that dairy? The Club is the best way and it doesn't use "Carbon" so it is greener! :mooner:

actually, many of these videos are faked. One of the more notorious was made many years ago by a pro-animal society who had paid unemployed locals to play the "bad guys" part.

Shooting would be a lot easier but:

1: not less painfull. The hakapik has been designed to be the most efiicient tool.
2: would damage the fur. I think all of the seal must be used. meat, bones, fur.

believe me, these guys dont have time for pleasure and it's not a fun job. But they have families to feed and it's a natural ressource that is very abundant. Fur is not so bad that people might think. In fact, synthetic clothes are much more damaging to the environment (oil products).

If you ever visited a farm, you know that by cutting the head of a chicken, it starts flying in all directions. These seals are dead when they skin em'. It's only the nerves.

also, if you shoot a seal with a gun and it dies in the water, it will sink and go to waste.

Here is a link that explain some myths about the seal hunt:

Fisheries and Aquaculture Management - Seals and Sealing in Canada

from that site:

According to a 2004 survey, the Northwest Atlantic harp seal population is now estimated at approximately 5.8 million animals, nearly triple what it was in the 1970s

And clubbing is the most humane way to kill a seal. It's instantaneous unlike a bullet or an arrow. I hunt deer myself but I aint fast enough to club one.

also from the site:

A 2002 report published in the Canadian Veterinary Journal found that the club or hakapik is an efficient tool designed to kill the animal quickly and humanely.

and before someone mentions it, baby seals (the white fluffy cudly ones) are not allowed to be killed. from the site:

The image of the whitecoat harp seal is used prominently by seal hunt opponents. This image gives the false impression that vulnerable seal pups are targeted by sealers during the commercial hunt.

The hunting of harp seal pups (whitecoats) and hooded seal pups (bluebacks) is illegal – and has been since 1987. Marine Mammal Regulations prohibit the trade, sale or barter of the fur of these pups. Furthermore, adult seals cannot be harvested when they are in breeding or birthing grounds and younger seals must be weaned, self-reliant and independent.

Again, dont let the videos fool you.

Like this image:

babyseal.gif

This is misleading the public.
This ex-beatle would not be clubbed. Has-been singer clubbing is illegal in Canada :)

btw, Mc Cartney's ex wife almost got bitten by the pup during her encounter. They were harrassing the poor creature

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom