The coldest mini season ever...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Yesterday was a learning experience... nothing more and nothing less. We went to Pelican flats out of Canaveral. Now, some people had told us of colder than normal temps. I had heard of the same thing when I went diving down in Jupiter, but it went only to 72 degrees. These guys had told me temps that were down to 58 degrees, but it was getting "warmer". So I brought two wetsuits just in case.

I also brought 3 tanks a piece for three divers and a couple of extra just in case. The standard first aid was on board and we were going with a seasoned captain on his own boat... costs were going to be dividing up the spoils... with a mini season limit of 12 per and no boat limit, we were ready to harvest bugs in a proper fashion.

As I dropped into the warm blue of the Atlantic Ocean, all seemed perfect. I had dove with these guys before and the surface was like a huge lake... quite calm. However, as I descended below 30 ft the cold hit as we entered this brown/gold slimey water. Luckily the vis increased to 15-20 ft on the bottom. I never looked at the temp on my meter, but my two buddies said it was 50 degrees!!!
FIFTY DEGREES!!!
I will check that on my Cobra when I download the dives. They were wearing hoods (I don't own one) and seemed to manage OK, but I had the worst ice cream headache of my life. The first dive only found us in sand... lots of sand dollars, but no bugs so we ended it after ten minutes. The second dive I never made it to the bottom, I handed off the reel to Jerry and headed for a warmer ocean, while he and Robin went and looked... they found one bug, but with eggs. I descended down again and was able to reach the bottom, but my head was splitting, and so did I. They finished their first tank on this one, I still had 2000 psi.

The next dive, I tried a baseball cap... not the mesh kind and it helped. I was able to consume the rest of my tank, before ascending. I caught a squirrel fish by hand... it was stunned by the cold. I also found a stunned tiny spotted moray... it was just so cold. None of us had seen any lobsters at this point when I ascended, but since they had fresh tanks they kept looking and came up with four... one with eggs... one was at least 7-8 pounds... Lobzilla! Robin was the Bug Miester today... he had caught all of them. Both Jerry and I were relieved when he said we should try shallower, which we hoped meant warmer.

So our next dive was in sight of land in 45 fsw. Although the sounder indicated structure we could not see it. The bottom ten foot was that icy gold/brown slimy water. Luckily I held the tickle stick ahead of me... Jer wasn't so lucky. Head first into the bottom never feels nice. We weren't finding any bugs in that murk, so we went to the jetty and had an enjoyable dive. Jer caught a shorty, and let it go and that was it. We still had plenty of full tanks, but no diver willing (or prepared) to endure the cold. We are now waiting for the warmer waters of winter time!!! :tease:

laughed at Spectre for bring that drysuit. :D

Chad

I have spent some of the last two days lamenting the fact that I wasn't going to be able to ditch work for mini-season this year, but your report, as well as others I've heard from the LDSs around here make me glad that I still have those two vacation days in the bank!

Sorry your trip was so uncomfortable and unproductive - hope the next one is better in every way.

Well the conditions might not have been pleasant but if ya had the spots the bugs were there and easy to catch. My buddies went out of Ponce and put 35 bugs in the boat, six were over 10 lbs and the king bug went 11.5 lbs. I got to work cause I waited too long to speak up for a spot on the boat.

Future father-in-law and two buddies caught 18 bugs yesterday between them in the keys - I think their deepest dive was 6'.

Yup, SIX feet. Guessing nitrogen loading wasn't much of an issue for them.

Not sure if today was still season or not? Havent' heard their tally for the two days.

Sorry to hear you were diving in the wrong spots, the waters here in Ft Lauderdale were calm waters 50'-60' viz and the water temp was a very comfortable 85 and no skins or wetsuit required..

Lot and lots of bugs out there right MikeJ :eek:ut:

Someone send Netdoc some cheese:):) sounds like normal conditions for New Jersey:)

Anyone ever heard of a place called Lady's Secret? Its a dive the Nekton boats do...of course its too far for the divers around here (its near Cuba in Cay Sal Bank somewhere).

We dove there last week...lobsters by the score...all of them bigger than my housecat. And that is a 12 pound cat with lots of hair.

Not a hunter myself, but when I saw those bugs...it almost made me a believer.

The story behind the Lady's Secret is that a local fisherman told the dive boat where the hole was that the locals use to harvest bugs under the condition they can dive there, but not harvest.

Well, we didn't harvest, but those bugs sure were pretty. One of the videos from the boat shows the lobsters charging the divers...and I saw that happen more than once down there. You didn't need a tickle stick. They would come to you!

Hope you guys have better luck, and I think tomorrow night I am going to go out and get some lobster from my local resturaunt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom