The dangers of bailing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I need to know what "bailing" is. I assume it is dropping your weights and making a buoyant ascent. There was a time when all divers were trained to do this and it was not seen as a big deal. It is rather easy to control your ascent speed and keep it under 60 fpm by flaring and venting, in which case if you keep your airway open and you do not have a decompression obligation, you should not suffer any ill effects.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So true!

Thall recall George Bond made a bouyant 302 foot ascent.

LA Co Underwater Instructor candidates were (still?) are required to make a 33 foot and a 100 foot bouyant ascent under controlled conditions. Never had a problem!

We find our selves in a different world with different rules and different players...Now there are very few divers but a whole lot of people who dive...

It claims that he was as good as dead as soon as he had a problem.

It depends on the problem. However, I'm coming around to the point of view that divers should be taught that if they run out of air they are as good as dead. It will certainly help them remember to watch their air very carefully.

Is bailing generally dangerous, if you're making sure you're breathing out? Or is it just difficult to detect the appropriate rate?

If you are ascending at 30 or even 60 feet per minute and breathing normally, the risk of embolism is not too great. However, if you are doing an emergency ascent, then you are going to have to exhale more rapidly. Of course, if the problem is OOA, then exhaling may leave you without sufficient air in your lungs and you may find yourself inhaling water. Recall that 110 feet at 60 feet per minute is a very long time to go on one breath.

Or is 110ft too far to go before most people pass out from the lack of oxygen?

Good news. lack of oxygen is not a problem if you have air in your tank. In scuba diving, it is more likely that you will have too much oxygen, than too little. However, if you are using normal air with 21% oxygen, it is not a problem until much deeper than 110 feet.

Or is the DCS severe enough to kill you?

An embolism is likely to kill you. The bends are not. (Someone remind me: Are there any reported cases of death from the bends?)

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Good news. lack of oxygen is not a problem if you have air in your tank. In scuba diving, it is more likely that you will have too much oxygen, than too little. However, if you are using normal air with 21% oxygen, it is not a problem until much deeper than 110 feet.

I think he meant pass out on a CESA due to not being able to breathe. You would eventually inhale water and probably not pass out right away.

It depends on the problem. However, I'm coming around to the point of view that divers should be taught that if they run out of air they are as good as dead. It will certainly help them remember to watch their air very carefully.
That's right up there with mother's milk being a gateway drug to crack.
If you are ascending at 30 or even 60 feet per minute and breathing normally, the risk of embolism is not too great. However, if you are doing an emergency ascent, then you are going to have to exhale more rapidly.
NO! All you do is gently hum, that keeps the airway open and things will take care of themselves.
Of course, if the problem is OOA, then exhaling may leave you without sufficient air in your lungs and you may find yourself inhaling water. Recall that 110 feet at 60 feet per minute is a very long time to go on one breath.
It's 110 seconds, slightly less than two minutes. I've never had a student who did not learn in the first few nights to hold their breath for two minutes ... this is a strong reason why, you don't need the tension of wondering if you can do it.
That assumes that the gas is usable, we're talking about situations where it is not.
An embolism is likely to kill you. The bends are not. (Someone remind me: Are there any reported cases of death from the bends?)
Thanks!
Bends can be fatal, but that is rare. AGE is much more serious. Learning to do two things: 1) not run out of air; and 2) hold your breath for two minutes, obviates almost all of the issues. Neither is that difficult.

by Bailing out I believe you mean an Emergency Swimming Accent - getting to the surface as soon as safely possible
ESA's in my book are the every last thing you should attempt before a boyanent accent Make every effort to not need them and solve all problems underwater.
If you do need them follow the training and proceedure.

Last edited:
by Bailing out I believe you mean an Emergency Swimming Assent - getting the the service as soon as safely possible
ESA's in my book are the every last thing you should attempt before a boyanent asset. Make every effort to not need them and sovle all problems underwater.
If you do need them follow the training a proceedure.
The problem is that the training for the conduct of an ESE is inadequate and the opportunity to practice it is virtually nonexistent. And as far as a buoyant ascent is concerned, training and practice in buoyant ascent technique is prohibited by most agencies. So you're kinda screwed ... best to learn how not to run out of; air and to be close to your buddy at all times.

Last edited:
If you are ascending at 30 or even 60 feet per minute and breathing normally, the risk of embolism is not too great. However, if you are doing an emergency ascent, then you are going to have to exhale more rapidly. )

Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

Actually that is impossible. If someone is inhaling and exhaling while ascending at a rate of 60 feet per minute, then the duration of their exhalation MUST be faster than a person who is not breathing and is only exhaling on an ascent of the same rate.

Where do people come up with this stuff???... I also liked an earlier comment that you can always just bail to the surface safely if you are within the no-deco limits... more silliness.

What makes you think it silly that, "you can always just bail to the surface safely if you are within the no-deco limits"?

As a new diver, I am under the impression as well from all the info on here and things I have heard that if you are staying within your NDL then a straight accent to surface is ok, heck even heard the safety stop is optional (again staying inside your NDL), although I do a safety stop everytime if below 25 feet, but if im doing a cesa safety stop isnt much of an option in OOA

As a new diver, I am under the impression as well from all the info on here and things I have heard that if you are staying within your NDL then a straight accent to surface is ok, heck even heard the safety stop is optional (again staying inside your NDL), although I do a safety stop everytime if below 25 feet, but if im doing a cesa safety stop isnt much of an option in OOA
That's essentially the difference between recreational and technical diving, but it has some very significant and profound implications.

In short, a recreational diver should always have the option of bailing out to the surface in an emergency and should 1) plan the dive in terms of the depths, times and environment to ensure that option remains and 2) dive well within those limits.

In technical diving, the diver absolutely has to extinguish ANY urge to bail out to the surface and must train, equip and plan the dive in a manner that reflects the reality that problems must be resolved under water and that the resources neccesary to resolve the problem must be present in the team. And beyond that, it's generally prudent to equip yourself so that all the neccesary resources needed to resolve an emergency are present on your person to honor the threat, despite the best laid plans and the best of intent, of separation prior to or during the emergency.

---

In terms of the event described in deep descent, IIRC the issue was not depth but rather the significant deco obligation. A prudent technical diver carries a healthy reserve of gas to deal with various scenarios including lost deco gas, etc, but it is still crucial that they pull the trigger and choose to go into that contingency mode while there is still enough time and gas for the contingency plans to work.

As an example, getting mis-oriented on a wreck in poor viz and not being able to find your ascent line, your deco gas (if you were dumb enough to leave it there) or perhaps just being unable to get back to the ascent line and/or gas against a strong current is an easily surviveable event, however you have to recognize when your original plan is fubar, move to a contingency plan and have the gas and equipment to make it work.

In the above example with a strong current preventing a return to an upline and stashed deco gas, to resolve that emergency you'd need the equipment to shoot a bag to create an upline tied ot the wreck (to keep you from drifting off the wreck and thus creating a different emergency on the surface) and you'd need enough back gas to do the longer deco on back gas that would be required. Absent that, you have no good options.

But even with those resources, it can still go badly wrong when you start betting that you can in fact extend your bottom time and get back to the gas/upline on your existing back gas. If it works, you're probably ok, but if not, you've just extended your bottom time and greatly increased your deco obligation at the same time you've just burned much of your gas reserve trying to salvage the original dive plan. The envelope of what is surviveable begins to narrow extremely quickly when dealoing with increased gas usage and increasing deco obligation and that temptation to try to salvage the original plan can be a real killer.

When divers fail to forsee the potential consequences of the decisons they make underwater and push them selves outside the limits of what is surviveable with the resources they have on hand, people start to die or at least get seriously and often permanently injured.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom