The dangers of bailing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on the problem. However, I'm coming around to the point of view that divers should be taught that if they run out of air they are as good as dead. It will certainly help them remember to watch their air very carefully.
I disagree thoroughly. A diver at 110 feet who runs out of air should know that by using proper technique, he or she can make it safely to the surface. If they don't realize that, then they are likely to make the panicked, breath-holding ascent that will, in fact, kill them.
If you are ascending at 30 or even 60 feet per minute and breathing normally, the risk of embolism is not too great. However, if you are doing an emergency ascent, then you are going to have to exhale more rapidly.
You should have been taught to do a CESA at 60 FPM. Even faster is not big deal. As long as your airway is open, the air will leave as quickly as it needs to.
Of course, if the problem is OOA, then exhaling may leave you without sufficient air in your lungs and you may find yourself inhaling water. Recall that 110 feet at 60 feet per minute is a very long time to go on one breath.
First of all, you are not really on one breath. From 110 feet you have the equivalent of more than 4 breaths in your lungs. As you ascend, that air will expand and continue to come out.

Next, you will not find yourself inhaling water if you keep your regulator in your mouth. You will find yourself breathing air when you inhale, as I will explain later.

I think he meant pass out on a CESA due to not being able to breathe. You would eventually inhale water and probably not pass out right away.
Even if you exhaust all the air in your lungs and choose not to inhale, you have at least a minute and probably more like 1.5 minutes of O2 in your blood that will sustain you before you pass out.

More importantly, as I said earlier, if you have your regulator in your mouth, as you were taught, you will not inhale water, you will inhale air.

Your tank is NOT out of air. The problem is that your regulator must deliver air at a pressure greater than the the ambient pressure at your depth. As you ascend, the ambient pressure around you will decrease, and the regulator will now be able to give you air. The closer you get to the surface, the more air you will get on ascent.

Even with a competent buddy there is always a risk of separation unless you never dive overhead environment, or low viz. or you tether yourselves together. Since I don't routinely hold hands with my buddy, I carry enough bailout for myself on me as well as for my buddy. We do our best and stay close in low viz. But it comes to a point where it's either not safe to dive with a buddy or dive at all in some situations.
For bailing out at 110 ft... It better be to a redundant air source.

Even with a competent buddy there is always a risk of separation unless you never dive overhead environment, or low viz. or you tether yourselves together. Since I don't routinely hold hands with my buddy, I carry enough bailout for myself on me as well as for my buddy. We do our best and stay close in low viz. But it comes to a point where it's either not safe to dive with a buddy or dive at all in some situations.

You mean like the redundant air source these two guys had, the surface.

File:Bond and Tuckfield bouyant ascent.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why?

Capt: Pappy T. was not your everyday diver.

You mean like the redundant air source these two guys had, the surface.

File:Bond and Tuckfield bouyant ascent.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That photo reminded me of one of the great experiences of my life, I just wish I was smart enough to realize it at the time. Chief Cyril Tuckfield was nearing retirement when I was assigned to Submarine Development Group One. Tuck was running the dive locker housed in the repurposed gun emplacements at the end of Pt. Loma in San Diego.

After hours I would walk over from the enlisted quarters and prompt him for stories of his days on submarines during WWII through the Sea Lab Programs. I should have been taking notes because he lived more history than I have time to read. We had three Saturation Qualified Master Divers onboard (a really big deal in those days). They all treated Tuck with a level of respect rarely seen outside their elite circle. I regret not having the insight to understand what a humble and accomplished guy he was. He taught me more than I can verbalize.

Hi guys,

I'm a new diver, and am currently reading Kevin McMurray's Deep Descent. I just read a passage about a diver who was 110ft down and had to bail, who ultimately died from embolism. It claims that he was as good as dead as soon as he had a problem.

Is bailing generally dangerous, if you're making sure you're breathing out? Or is it just difficult to detect the appropriate rate? Or is 110ft too far to go before most people pass out from the lack of oxygen? Or is the DCS severe enough to kill you?

Thanks!

Deep Descent is a good book. It is a walk through the history of diving the Andrea Doria. The Doria lies in 250 ft of water and is considered one of the most challenging technical dives around. In response to your question we need to distinguish between technical divers on challenging dives and recreational diving.

Most of the answers that you have been given relate to recreational diving. Although I will try avoid it, bailing (CESA) from that depth is a real option when recreational diving and I would expect to live to tell the tale.

Conversely a technical diver coming back from the Doria at 250 ft in serious trouble if he bails from 110ft. At best he is likely to be in a chamber. There is also a real possibility of severe DCS resulting in death. If you are able to give me a page reference (or the divers name) I will attempt to put this in context for you.

Learning to do two things: 1) not run out of air; and 2) hold your breath for two minutes, obviates almost all of the issues.
First Rule of Diving: NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH! This is especially true when you ascend! (Your mileage may vary!!!) :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Pete, that's really stupid within this context, and you know it. That old saw is a perfect example of unthinking rules, as we are discussing in another thread. Now had you said, "never hold your breath whilst ascending," I might agree with you and rephrase it as, "be able to go two minutes without inhaling."

Its why there are three (count 'em) rolling on the floor laughing guys after my statement. :kiss2: We still love ya!

What is the magic of three vs. two vs. one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom