The Future LDS Maybe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound:
BTW, tell us more about this great dive site where people burn 250 rental tanks a day.

It sounds like an interesting model, and I'm sure it will work in a few places. So, yeah, it could be a model for the future.

Personally, at our local dive sites, I often don't see others above the water, nevermind under the water. I like it that way. Diving is meant to be peaceful.

I think I'd avoid any place that has that many divers.

- ChillyWaters

ReefHound:
BTW, tell us more about this great dive site where people burn 250 rental tanks a day.
Probably talking about Kenting ... a national park on the southern tip of the island. I didn't dive when I was there ... but it looked like an awesome place to do so ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ChillyWaters:

- ChillyWaters
That would depend on the locale ... I'd be willing to bet that some of the resorts in Bonaire will easily go through 250 tanks in a day (heck, I'd take care of a half-dozen of them myself) without the local reef looking very crowded at all ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually it sounds like the Sea Lancers Dive Club here on Oahu. While we don't sell gear, for a low membership fee you can get all the rental equipment that you need.

Even if you don't need any equipment we have 2 fill stations (for up to 10 tanks) that are open 24 hours a day.

We did have a dive shop (Ocean) try to close us down however (Concepts). Since they couldn't... they spread a rumour that our air is no good (even though we have it tested monthly).

fishb0y:
Actually it sounds like the Sea Lancers Dive Club here on Oahu. While we don't sell gear, for a low membership fee you can get all the rental equipment that you need.

Which makes me wonder... perhaps it would be beneficial for someone to start a scuba co-op...

- ChillyWaters

Its worked for the Sea Lancers for over 50 years.

What's to stop a person from just taking the tanks and weights and not returning?

shellbackdiver1:
I do an awful lot of shore diving in the south part of Taiwan. There is this LDS that I use. Let me describe it for you.

I drive up and park my car. Look around for a dive truck/van that they let divers use for FREE. I get in and drive it up to the entrance of the garage. We look into the center of the garage and there is at least 200 tanks all filled up and ready to use. AL and steel and 3 different sizes are available. The cost is 3US/tank for instructor, 4.50US/tank for DM and the rest pay 6US/tank. We load the truck up with tanks and gear, change in there FREE showers, grab some FREE weight from the pile, take some FREE bottled water for the SI's and away we go.

Mind you there was absolutely zero talk at all with the owners. No "where to go" or "how is the vis".....nothing. Also they sell nothing....only have air.

Upon our return we unload the gear and wash all of it in there FREE wash buckets. They have about 15 of them filled with fresh water waiting for you to use. Then we hang all the gear on there FREE covered scuba gear racks. Use there FREE showers. Pay for the tank rental fee only, and then for the only communication is "thanks, bye, bye".

Come back two hours or so later for our gear.

My LDS is scubaboard.com and my retail store for gear is any number of the online dealers.

Is this the wave of the future?

amascuba:
What's to stop a person from just taking the tanks and weights and not returning?
Cultural norms ... see reply 8. Taiwanese people tend to think more about long-term benefits ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Cultural norms ... see reply 8. Taiwanese people tend to think more about long-term benefits ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I missed that post. Thanks!

ChillyWaters:

That explains a lot about some of the posts you make. :wink:

They use the same kind of model in Bonaire with drive through pick ups. I think a drive through pick up would work in a place like Ft. Lauderdale. All you need is a building like a car wash.

Back
Top Bottom