The great big, all-inclusive Leisure Pro note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski:
also, forgot to add, don't buy tanks at LP. They won't fill it for you, hence you will end up going to your LDS to have it visually inspected again and then fill it, which is an added cost.

ouch, that stinks. you really need a new vip from each shop where you get a fill? i would love to buy a tank from my local shop in hoboken but they don't carry pst.

docmartin:
ouch, that stinks. you really need a new vip from each shop where you get a fill? i would love to buy a tank from my local shop in hoboken but they don't carry pst.

Actually, the issue isn't that you need a new VIP from each shop where you get a fill. You just need a current VIP sticker from a recognized shop. There are three issues here:

1) LeisurePro does not VIP and put the initial fill in cylinders.

2) No shop will fill a cylinder without a current VIP sticker (which you probably know is good for one year)

3) Most shops will not fill a completely empty cylinder (i.e., drained and/or without a valve) without VIPing it (as you also probably know, empty cylinders are likely to contain moisture and possibly corrosion).

So...that empty, VIP-less tank from LeisurePro is going to have to be VIP'd by someone before you can use it, and then you're good for a year, provided you don't drain it or otherwise damage it.

As for Pressed Steel, their website lists several dealers not too distant from Hoboken, so if you wanted to you could buy from a LDS if not from your LDS.

Just for the record, I'm pretty familiar with LeisurePro and I teach for a LDS.

carlislere:
Been there, done that. I paid the consequences with a dive computer a number of years back. In the long run, I paid dearly for it. Yes, I buy small stuff over the internet, but when it comes to the life support equipment in diving, what I have learned is YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

i'm sorry, i don't follow your argument. are you saying that because
you can get a Dacor Viper cheaper from LP it is somehow of less
quality and/or not as safe as the same Dacor Viper bought
from your local shop?

If so, do you know something I don't?

:bounce:

joebrown:
Actually, the issue isn't that you need a new VIP from each shop where you get a fill. You just need a current VIP sticker from a recognized shop. There are three issues here:

1) LeisurePro does not VIP and put the initial fill in cylinders.

2) No shop will fill a cylinder without a current VIP sticker (which you probably know is good for one year)

3) Most shops will not fill a completely empty cylinder (i.e., drained and/or without a valve) without VIPing it (as you also probably know, empty cylinders are likely to contain moisture and possibly corrosion).

So...that empty, VIP-less tank from LeisurePro is going to have to be VIP'd by someone before you can use it, and then you're good for a year, provided you don't drain it or otherwise damage it.

As for Pressed Steel, their website lists several dealers not too distant from Hoboken, so if you wanted to you could buy from a LDS if not from your LDS.

Just for the record, I'm pretty familiar with LeisurePro and I teach for a LDS.

thanks for the helpful answer. had no idea that lp did no vip and would sell the tanks completely empty. i will definitley look to buy from a local shop.

zslnk:
I ordered my regs and a computer (big money savers...) and the computer didn't come with a manual. Lots of un-answered emails and run-around calls later (and ~8months) I still have no computermanual

yeah that would suck. i just haven't had that experience with them.

also, would going to Suunto's site as soon as you saw you had no manual
and pulling up the manual would have been worth

(a) the lower price; and
(b) saving the hassle of having to deal with on-line (and not just LP's)
so called "customer service?"

and, also, how often have you ordered from them? how often have they
screwed something up?

all i am saying is that in the long run, for some people (and this may not
be you) it makes more sense money/time wise to order from an on-line
distributor without expecting the customer service you would get at a
local shop, which, by the way, ain't all that great either a lot of the time.

:snorkel:

Do people come on here to publicly bash an LDS the first time they have a problem with them? There's a few heated warnings about LP and people stating they won't buy from them again over an isolated incident. I can't remember the last post of a bad transaction between Joe Diver and Generic Dive Shop.

Try doing a search for "LDS" and see what you get. Many people have been left with a bad taste in their mouth after dealing with an LDS. That is not to say that they are all bad.
Just because someone has one bad experience with a particular business is generaly no reason to stop using them. Businesses cannot control their employees and some time you get a jerk or a person that is ignorant of all the polcies, read: "new guy". Continued poor service or deceitful practices are the only real reason to stop visiting a business, IMHO. Freaking out and running around while waving you hands in the air never got anything accomplished. It just looks funny and provides the rest of us some stress relief through laughter :inyourfac

Jambi

2 Bar:
Do people come on here to publicly bash an LDS the first time they have a problem with them? There's a few heated warnings about LP and people stating they won't buy from them again over an isolated incident. I can't remember the last post of a bad transaction between Joe Diver and Generic Dive Shop.

The thread IS called "Leisure Pro never again...", and I wouldn't have cared if they forgot the manual and sent me one, it's the fact that they won't return my calls/emails and lie to me when I can talk to them...

Craig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom