The great big, all-inclusive Leisure Pro note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go to Scuba.com, they will price match anyone, even leisurepro...AND...they are authorized resellers of all the equipment they sell. This means you get the manufacturers warranty.

If you already know what you want, I would recommend seeing if your LDS carries it and getting a price quote.

orca125:
I found a great regulator pakage on leisure pro for 315.00 that includes the bag, the reg and the octo, my first question is should I order it from leisure pro "or" try to find it a lds since this is the meat a bones of my equipment I just need some sound advice. And the second question is does anyone know if the genesis yukon reg is nitrox compatible. thanks

I have just purchased mostof my gear from LP Every thing arived brand new and in the original packaging. My local shop could not compare and with there blessing and knowing that the only warrenty would be LPs I have been very happy. My local DS checkeds out my set up and has put me in to there schedulad for regulat maintanence reminders so if you have a local DS that is willing to support your maintanence and walk into your purchace knowing the manufactures warrenty is not available and have researched the product you want to order you should have know problems. I hope this helps. :10:

undersea Kat:
...and walk into your purchace knowing the manufactures warrenty is not available and have researched the product you want to order you should have know problems.

Scuba.com carries Genesis...and will price match anyone...AND they carry the MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY.

PonyBottle:
Scuba.com carries Genesis...and will price match anyone...AND they carry the MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY.

I've heard many folks say that it is the MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY that changes the decision....

I contend that it is better to buy where the manufacturer quality is good enough so that you will only use the warranty in the most extreme cases.

I've bought regs, B/C and computer from LP, and everything works like a charm. Whether I use LP's warranty or not, or whether I was covered by the manuf. warranty is of no consequence.

Some will argue "but what if you were the one in ten thousand that had a problem...?"....Well, I save enough on the LP purchase to take that chance, for now.

Your mileage may vary...

Good Luck!

I'm looking to buy my first regulator. I want a small or light weight second stage. I'm on a budget etc. I've looked into Genesis Yukon, and Titan Micra, I'm unsure about the Micra bubble problem. Any advice?

Regarding the value of warrantee issues and OEM support...
What about a reg like Scubapro where parts would be provided for free at maintenance intervals (that is the case right?). Would this very valuable benefit be lost if purchased at an unauthorized dealer? If so, that could add up over time.

JAG

jagfish:
Regarding the value of warrantee issues and OEM support...
What about a reg like Scubapro where parts would be provided for free at maintenance intervals (that is the case right?). Would this very valuable benefit be lost if purchased at an unauthorized dealer? If so, that could add up over time.

JAG

I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago. I did get most of my euipment fro LP, just not my life support equipment.

I went to the LDS numerous times and eventually got to talk to the owner. My contention was that I was going to spend the money either online or in their shop. I wasn't looking for them to match the price from LP because there are other numerous benefits from LDS that will support you (loaner regs, computers, tanks, etc if yours need to be repaired or are under warranty for something). The warrenty wa the second thing that made me push for the LDS. After a couple of weeks of negotiation they finally came close to LPs price (about $239 more than LP for Reg, Pony setup, Pony Reg, Computer console, and BC). I was happy with the extra money because they are going to back their equipment. I know that it will be worth it.

FYI, if you are going to order from LP you are going to have to wait until after passover before your order is going to be received by them :frown:

-Joe

Whatever reg you are interested in.. find out if parts kits are available and how much they cost since you will be responsible for buying the parts kits for the lifetime of the regulator if you don't get the manufacturers warranty. Whatever you save by buying online or from leisurepro may then be spent three times over or more over the lifetime of the reg on parts kits which normally would be provided by the manufacturer. It seems cheaper on the face of it.. but may not be in the long run.
Also, if you do decide to go with an online purchase be sure that the local dive centre will service the regs at all. You may find that many small services which the lds provides free of charge for clients that support them are done at a cost to you if you buy online. This isn't done out of ill will so much as necessity and the need to survive. For example, if a client buys a reg at an LDS and then needs an adjustment to it later.. that adjustment will likely be done free of charge. If the reg is in for service and the diver needs a loaner, it may be provided free of charge. This can be done as value added services for a client that has supported a local small business. The dive centre I work at does this all the time. However, if a client buys a reg elsewhere and needs these perks they may be done at a cost to the client. There is time spent on these services and tools required and other costs incurred performing these services. Normally the LDS will eat these costs for regular clients who have been supportive. However, an LDS is a business and must make money in order to survive. Does this make sense?

Just some thoughts that might help you make an informed decision. Also, when buying life support equipment, you may wish to have the full support of local resources at your LDS unless you are already a trained service technician with tools and a service bench. Cost isn't the best way to decide on life support equipment in my opinion. Find a good LDS that will look after you. Meet the people and foster a good relationship. In the long run I think you'll find this approach to be both more cost effective and more rewarding.

I hope this helps!

-Helmet

Helmet...
My points exactly! Look at the cost over the long haul. When I look at leisure pro prices for major items like regs, BCs and computers, I could never see myself sacrificing the LDS support and warrantee for what I feel is a rather modest percent savings on the initial cost. Especially now that there are other retailers who will with warrantees that will strive to meet these gray market prices.

As for trusting a LP warrantee, I just can't. But that's me. I'd have to be saving something like 50% or more of the going price (not list price, going price on the street) to really feel like I could afford to "self insure myself" and factor in gratis parts, services and the unlikely event that a breakage or malfunction might occur that will not be supported by LP.

The same goes for buying used off eBay. I am amazed how used life support equipment will often sell for 70 to 80% of what you can buy a new unit for elsewhere with a warrantee...But again, that's me....

JAG

JAG

I'm new to diving and thus new to the equipment. As with all my large hobby purchases (I'm into just about everything outdoors) I tend to do an extensive amount of research prior to buying. In doing this I have come to the same crossroads as many before me have. Do you buy from LP w/o factory warranty or from LDS at increased price.

After much research and debate, I will most likely will buy a majority of my equipment from LP. But not my life support. I am looking at the Scuba Pro MK25/x650 or MK25/x600 setup with my alternate being the Air 2. The savings from LP vs. LDS is only about $150-$175 for these items. I talked with several LDS in my area and all will service what ever I buy, but I would be responsible for the parts kit at around $75/yr. Even if they are drastically over stating the cost of the parts kit, it will still pay off in the long haul to go with my LDS. Its my understanding that your life support should last for 10+ yrs easy. The cost of the parts kit alone over the next 2-3yrs will cover the savings, plus you will be supporting your LDS.

Other items such as BC, mask, fins, etc... I will purchase from LP as these items can be easily maintained and serviced by me.

just my 2 cents.

Keith

Back
Top Bottom