The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I generally would try to purchase any gear through my LDS, but unfortunately, since my relocation, there is only 2 shops for me to choose from, and they are still a little bit of a hike, not to mention their prices are thru the roof:wacko: I have resorted to buying quite a bit of gear on-line in the past year or so, from a few different companies. Not to mention, the obvious concerns; warranty, not being able to try, etc.... But, other than saving money, most of my experiences have been miserable.

I guess my question for the board is; any recommendations out there for one or more vendors that carry a good overall selection, price and service, that I may give a try?

Good/Bad experiences?

Thanks, KZ

Sorry everyone, didn't originally see the other post that seems to address my concerns here, and was unable to delete this one........OOOPS

leisurepro.com and also if you need accessories, scuba-accessories.com was great. I have also heard others on the board talking about DiveInn, but I haven't bought from them.

good luck

I'd agree, if you're looking for just one name go Leisure Pro. While you don't always get the manufacturer's warranty, they give you theirs instead on lots of items.

Of course, they don't always have the item you want, but they sure have a lot ...

Regardless of whether you buy online or not I would recommend buying from an authorized dealer who knows diving in general and the products they sell specifically.

Someone might think that I am a Leisurepro sales person. So just so you know, I am not.

At the same time, my experience with Leisurepro is of good service and low, low prices. I wil continue shopping there.

My only advise is to order things that have been tried out for size and comfort in advance.

Ari :)

Definatly leisure pro. ordered twice from them and they have been outstanding both times. after you order they email you a inventory and a ups tracking number with a direct link so you can track your package. the cost of my bp/wings/harnes/manifold cost less than the wings at lds. Not to mention lds is 150 miles away. when I ordered through lds it took them 2 weeks to get in 2 tanks. leisure pro is about 40 - 60 % lower on most items and they have there own warrenty.

Check that anything you buy from an online source is a current model, not discountinued stock. One *well-known* online retailer used to sell Apeks regulators on eBay - they would show a picture of a newer ATX regulator, and in the description, the regulator would actually be an older TX model. Even after I pointed the discrepancy out to them (I was contemplating a purchase at the time), they continued to market in this fashion for some months.

Having said that, I've purchased from LeisurePro, DiveInn, Divers Supply, SimplyScuba, Fifth Dimension and COVCI - SimplyScuba is by far my favorite for large purchases, with excellent customer service, and leading brands. Divers Supply and Fifth Dimension have been good as well, and Chris at COVCI rocks. I bought two regs from SimplyScuba that were supposed to be DIN, but a bug in their order form wiped out the DIN option I had selected, and they both arrived as yoke fittings - they express shipped two DIN conversion kits free of charge from the UK to the US for me.

Ari, I can't believe you wrote that! Anything you have to try on for size beforehand, you either buy from the LDS where you try it on, or take a gamble and order the two closest sizes, and hope that one fits and the other can be returned for refund. I've done this before with a drysuit from Divers Supply - just check with them beforehand that it's okay to order two different sized items with the intention of returning the one that doesn't fit.

miesemer once bubbled...
...where do you recommend trying on items for size and comfort?

I recommend ordering the two or three sizes that look like they will fit you, and sending back all but the one that fits best. You will pay a little to send it back, but then you are assured of the best fit.

[Edit: noticed that Ben said about the same thing, sorry for the brain fart.]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom