The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have purchased some stuff from Diversdiscount.com
Very helpful, and No problems

Anyone who going into a LDS and forks out more money than they need to should start sending ME their extra cash!

For example, my LDS was a full $100 MORE on the OMS IQ harness and, $140 MORE on the wings. Scubapro masks? Well, they were $35 MORE.

You got to be kidding!

I buy most everything from either Simply Scuba or Lesiure Pro.

Hello I recently signed up for a diving class through my local dive shop. After purchasing a set of personal gear from the shop which was required because I had received a discounted price on the class. When I arrived home I wanted to do a comparison of some prices. I managed to find almost every piece of equipment I puchased from the store for drastically lower prices (The fins that the diveshop charged me $180 were $80 online, The $80 mask from the dive shop was $25 online) I am by no means a cheap person I wanted some quality equipment however almost every piece of equipment I bought from the store was at least 50% cheaper online. Needless to say since my only source of information on equipment was from the dive shop I felt that I had basically been RIPPED off by what I believed to be some very helping and kind people. The next day I returned to the dive shop to try to reach some type of agreement. Ideally I would of wanted the shop to match the price that I had found at another retailer but I was willing to agree to a 10% markup due to the reccomendations, service and support that you just can't get from an online dealer. However when I walked into the shop which had an ALL SALES ARE FINAL disclaimer on the announcement board (which was not there the day before). The manager became very defensive when I informed him/her about the price difference between what I was charged and what I could purchase the same equipment for online. After being told there is no way they will change the price I was sold the items for I asked if I could make an exchange for a cheaper set of personal gear to use as a back up which they also refused to do. I consider myself a huge supporter of local business and will always go out of my way to shop at a Mom and Pop style store there is a customer service and an expertise that you get that these large retailers normaly just can't match (in most cases). The Manager also informed me that these online retailers are running all the little businesses out of the water (no pun intended). Is this true that most of these small businesses just can't compete with these huge online dealers? Is it also standard practice in the small diving shop community to have a no return or exchange policy? I would like to support my local business but I am also a consumer who is going to look for the best possible deal. With most online dealers I at least have a 30 day money back guarantee, I aslo would have saved hundreds of dollars? This has been a very disappointing start to what was obviously a very exciting beginning in the sport of diving:confused:

been discussed many times on the board before so if you do a search you will find a lot of information.

To answer you questions. Yes, online is generally much cheaper. Most of the manufacters do not allow online sells of gear and even the ones that do require that it be sold for a certain price (the same price the dive shops sell it for.)

By selling it cheaper frequently they violate the manufactures terms and have to offer to provide you with direct service...ie. you have to send it back to them to be worked on instead of taking it to the local dealer. Many people consider the price difference to be worth it but others prefer to make purchases from the local store to both help them stay in business and to help the Moms and Pops to ensure a local source for air fills.

I know it hurts to know that you could have got it cheaper online but I would say that you probably paid about the same price that most all dive shops are selling it for.

As for the no returns policy....that is a different matter.

Chad

I buy gear at local dive shops and through on-line stores. There are advantages to both.

The advantages of on-line purchases are: lower prices and no sales tax. Don't forget to add shipping cost.

The advantage of local dive shop purchases are: trying on the equipment and in some cases trying out the equipment before you purchase.

Other industries have had a sea change in their business models because of on-line purchasing. A good example is Book selling. When Amazon.com arrived, people said that it was the end of the local book store. It wasn't and isn't the end of the local book store.

It wasn't the end because some people still like to walk into a store and smell the new books.

On-line purchasing of dive equipment won't be the end of the local dive shops either. Some people still like to walk into a store and smell the neoprene.

Don't get completly lost in the cost of equipment... There's adventure to be had out there.

Regards

We've all heard that hindsight is 20/20 but the time to do your comparison shopping is BEFORE you buy! A lot of dive shops have adopted the 'All Sales Final' attitude for just the reason your are stating....people buy then change their mind when they find cheaper prices online. Most of them also make exceptions to the policy for those customers who have a valid reason for returning merchandise.

As the others have stated, you got more than just merchandise at that LDS. You got their expertise and knowledge of the products, you were able to try it on and get a good fit, and some dive shops have pools onsite so you may have even been able to try your gear in the pool. Only you can decide how much this service is worth to you. A lot of us think it's a valuable service.

I have found that as you build a relationship with a store, they are more than willing to give you a break on the prices WHEN THEY CAN. It's not always possible. I'm also honest with the store I do business with. If I know I can get something online that doesn't require a service from the store, I'll tell them the price and ask if it's possible for them to give me a discount. I do this ONLY at stores that I have a history with. A new customer asking for discounts to meet online prices will get a completely different answer.

So FWIW, I think you should keep your gear and enjoy it. In the future, do your comparisons before you buy and start a relationship with a local dive shop....you'll both be happier about it!

Dee once bubbled...

As the others have stated, you got more than just merchandise at that LDS. You got their expertise and knowledge of the products,...

I agree with Dee, you expect to get something more than the product, especially when you are new to the sport and you need advice, if you find the right shop. A lot of LDS's just want to make a quick sale. Finding a shop is just like looking for a new dentist or physician. It's rather difficult to find the right one. There are a few shops around that I don't even waste my time window shopping!

Next time, let the shop know what the online price is. You will be surprised how low they may go to get your business.

p.s. Don't feel bad, I have actually paid an amount greater than the MSRP a piece of equipment once. Listening to the shop owner's explanation was even more painful.

Redleg,

I think that you’ve stumbled across the trend in the industry to subsidize training with inflated equipment prices. While it’s easy and common for perspective divers to “shop” for the lowest training course price, it’s difficult if not impossible to “shop” for the total cost, which includes the mask, snorkel, fins, and weight belt. Therefore, it’s common for Local Dive Shops (LDS) to offer training at below cost, expecting to make up for it on equipment sales.

While I don’t know the models of equipment you purchased, the prices you’ve mentioned are not out of line with what others are paying, including myself when I first signed up for open water. Rather then dwelling on the prices of individual parts I would look at the “total cost” of the training. At this point, you’re ahead of most in having discovered this before you invested in the more expensive parts, exposure protection, regs/computer, and BC.

Now that you’ve discovered the large differential between LDS and on-line prices you’ll be able to investigate and make informed purchases in the future. But remember, whether buying from an LDS or online, “caveat emptor.”

Mike

I tend to agree with most of the points already presented and am in favor of supporting local business, so I'll just add a few comments.

When it comes to the critical life support gear (Reg, BC,Computer, Mask, etc.) and even some of the lesser-critical but important gear where fit and comfort are important (fins and exposure suits), I wouldn't consider online. I would use a "LDS" that I can trust and can get good advice from as well as "try on" gear with.

Our LDS spent an hour with us trying on gear and actually talked us out of some of the more expensive gear and found us better value alternatives for the type of divers we were planning on being. We definitely paid more than a discounter on-line, but it was WELL worth it.

Now when it comes to the non-criticals (gloves, weight belts, accessories, clips, gadgets, gear bags, even knives and lights), I would say you can get some great deals online. I've used diversdiscount.com and diversdirect.com and have been very happy --- but the lions share of my $$$ investment went to my dive shop.

All that being said, there is a reasonable markup on equipment, and there is gouging. Not knowing particulars, $180 vs. $80 does sound like a little bit out of the ballpark. But again....weigh the entire cost of the experience including advice and the training provided. And if you still feel "ripped off", then find another local dive shop.

Good luck.

:doctor:

was never discussed?

There may be a significant offset there....

I don't know this for fact just guessing!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom