Votes: 2 3.8%
  • baby shampoo

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • other

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Extremely slow ascents (less than 30FPM), especially the last 30' -- the slower the better. Safety stops -- longer the better. This stuff should be stressed to no end. Doing this will make you feel sooo much better after a dive -- less sub DCS to worry about.

2. Proper weighting and body position in the water -- you should be horizontal at all times for the most part. This will increase your air consumption.

3. Buddy skills should be second nature -- if you're buddy runs out of air, consider it your fault for not paying attention too. Buddy separation shouldn't happen as the result of you not paying attention.

4. Hydration and long term energy foods prior to diving. Hydration, hydration, hydration!

5. Chuck the snorkel unless you plan on snorkeling :wink:. That's my own pet peeve. See #7.

6. Exert as little as possible after a dive -- deco issues.

7. KISS -- keep it simple stupid. Don't fall for all the gimicks and toys out there and end up with a convulated gear configuration that will end up either unsafe or inefficient -- probably both. The more efficient you are underwater the better. Always simplify and eliminate anything you don't need.

8. Do it right from the get go (www.gue.com). Let's see if I can slip that one in without being seen. :wink:

9. Expensive equipment certainly doesn't equate to good equipment.

10. Have fun.

I lived in Waikiki for 6 months a couple years ago. The weather was great, but the city life got the better of me. Dive the Mahi wreck and look for the spotted eagle rays and shark that live there. Kinda deep at 90' for OW students, I guess, but get to it when you're ready. The wreck as a wreck isn't spectacular (just a tug), but the rays were cool. Saw whales and dophins there too!

Take care.

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
8. Do it right from the get go (www.gue.com). Let's see if I can slip that one in without being seen. :wink:

Mike
At least you didn't mention that DIRty acroynym DIRrectly :p

--TM

(please understand that I'm razzing you in a friendly way. I totally respect the DIR priciples and am working on adopting what works for me)

Seen but not heard...

With calm water put your fins on last in waist deep water AFTER inflating the BC.

1. Even though these panty hose people might be fun to party with their is a less freakier way of getting your wetty on. Just place a plastic bag over your foot first. But dont forget to take it out and dont let it go into the water

2. Only spit in your own mask. This tip will help save new friendships.

3. Make sure your weight belt is on good and tight, adjust it on the bottom , lot's of newbies end up with it around thier bum during a dive,very uncomfortable.

4. Relax when you do your first open water dive, and have fun
:jester:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. Do it right from the get go (www.gue.com). Let's see if I can slip that one in without being seen.

Surely you didn't believe you could "slip"it by.

I would bet that during you class you were told to RELAX. Of course that is the hardest thing for a new diver to do. It is also the most important issue to really become a better diver and enjoy your dives. So chill out and relax, the skills will come with experience, and trust me on this, there are many "right ways" to dive, no matter what the gue says.

Happy diving !

foothillsdiver

This is great! I adore pearls of wisdom!

I second everything already mentioned. Unlike the preceding thoughtful, reasoned replies, I can only offer up my past mistakes.

Expensive mistakes
Don't spend more than necessary have on a cutter (see titanium knives).
Do spend whatever is necessary for the lighting system you want
Watches that say "water resistant to x meters" are only waterproof to about one third of that.
All gear that one would like to still have when emerging should be fastened to the diver.
Put name/initals on EVERYTHING
A regulator should breathe well upside down.
After a salt water dive don't just rinse, disassemble as much as one is comfortable with and soak the pieces.
O-rings don't seal if anything is caught in them (sand, wires, sessicant packs.....).
UW cameras are only useful with a flash that can be adjusted to a differents angles.

Mistakes that made diving more work/less fun
Don't shave for 8-12 hours before going in salt water.
Gear bags with wheels are good.
If corrective lenses are used on land, get a prescription mask.
Dive parkas are great even in the tropics, even in summer.
Pre dive carb loading keeps you warmer.
Look behind often-figure out how to find the way back.
Never hold your breath is for Discover Scuba. Good divers learn how to hold their breath properly.
Spraying down with vinegar after an ocean dive can prevent lots of marine rashes.
Use a safe second to blow jellyfish any other unwanted critters out of the way on ascent.
Do something, anything with the hands to prevent instinctive sculling on those first few dives.
Harness are not just for techies (see backplate threads).
Surge happens--don't fight the ocean.
Cover up as much as possible for wreck penetration--suit/gloves/hood(learned that one in less than 20 seconds).
There is no reason to be intimidated by big talkers (took me a loooong time to learn that one).
Keep drinking water within arms reach while suiting up.
A diver can swim just fine with one fin.
Avoid kicking hard whenever possible.
There is an incredible amount of life in 1 square foot of reef. Stop and look. Then look more.
You can talk thru most regulators.
Learn what traits to look for in describing/identifying marine life.
Dry bags are useful.

Inconvenient/Annoying mistakes
Don't buddy with people you don't know.
During dive season keep gear ready to go, including filled tanks.
Consider altitude changes on the way home from a dive
Keep analgesics, meclizine, bandaids, and antacids readily available.
Sometimes people do get left in the water/DMs don't always do the right thing, so don't make your safe return contingent on anyone except yourself and your buddy.
Trying to "save air" by not using a reg on the surface backfires when it is choppy.
Forget sharks--watch out for nearby damselfish!
A silicon mask strap causes my hair to break; a slap strap doesn't
Dry boxes vacuum seal on planes. Get the kind with a valve or leave them open.
If you do pee in a wet suit, rinse before stripping on a boat deck.
"Underserved" DCS really happens.
I could have found work in HI instead of here ;-0

Fascinating Discoveries Made Due to Scuba
Cable ties have a variety of household uses
Nightdives are almost spiritual

Boy, that brought back memories! Hope you enjoyed it as much as I!

Invest in a safety sausage (or bright lift bag) AND a whistle. While the captain should be able to see you in high seas...he will be able to hear you better.

Stock up on Febreze, Simple Green and LOTS of Vinegar (don't think there is anything in diving that vinegar can't cure!)

And, most importantly...don't ever think you have all the gear you could possibly need or want ("want" being the key term here :wink: ) Set up a special "diving fund" now..before its too late!!

Chepar...

If I could add but one piece of advice to the considerable stable of knowledge put forth thus far it would be this phrase...

Economy of movement.

Unless you're actively hunting something, diving is generally a languid experience. Long, fluid fin strokes, arms idle by your sides. Frequent bouyancy corrections. Drag minimization through streamlining of gear.

Such things promote the calming tranquility of the underwater experience. You will enjoy the benefit of increased bottom times without the need to miser your air supply through inappropriate breathing.

Its Zen heaven for those in sync.

Best fishes,
D.S.D.

I'll have to disagree with watergal on at least 1 point. NEVER hold your breath on SCUBA. Holding your breath while on SCUBA can get you killed very quickly. While you COULD hold your breath on a descent, there is no reason to do so and you might screw up. There are times when references are missing or deceiving and you are heading up when you thought you were heading down. Heavy seas can reduce your depth dramatically on your safety stops.

Put soap in a DRY mask long before you get in the water. Two weeks in advance is perfect. I use dish soap, but any type of soap (many like baby shampoo) will work. Rinse your mask well prior to the dive.

"When you unpack your bag on the beach, and lay your booties down on the sand"

Better yet, don't lay things in the sand. I either gear up at my car or use a tarp. (Don't lay the tarp over ants) The way to distinguish fireants from other ants is to sand in the ant hill, allow them to bite. If you get pustules they are fireants.

Carry jugs of water for rinsing off the sand after a beach dive. Leave 1 jug under the car to rinse the salt off your key before you use it to unlock the car.

Shoe strings are very useful. I keep a car key on a shoe string around my neck during the dive. In a pinch a shoe string can replace a broken strap.

Always carry a buddy line. In low viz it is your buddy line to stay with your buddy. On crowded uplines in current, it becomes a jon line to get you out of the crowd for your safety stop. It is excellent to loop around a tank valve when towing in a panicked diver. It certainly beats the old spread eagle tow taught in rescue class. It can become a stringer if you find that unexpected flounder.

Watches are the third most common piece of equipment I find (after weight belts and knives). Don't waste money on an expensive watch. A $30.00 watch from WalMart works fine. Buy a velcro watch strap.

"Don't shave for 8-12 hours before going in salt water"

I don't shave for years before I dive. Why should it matter?

"Do something, anything with the hands to prevent instinctive sculling on those first few dives."

A sure sign that the diver isn't ready to get out of the pool. Clasp your hands together. I cringe when I see this.

On a hot day, leave the suit off until you have to put it on. Heat stroke or heat exhaustion is a problem. If the water is warm, skip the suit entirely.

You can laugh underwater and enjoy it. If you aren't laughing underwater get new buddies.

Practice your skills. Swim around without your mask. Swim with one fin. Practice every skill you learned in your class and other your instructor probably didn't include.

Toss out the rubic tank strap and buy one from Scubapro. They hold, are easy to adjust, if they come unthreaded, you rethread them in 1 second and you don't have to wet them first.

Don't ever get cocky.

When diving in cold weather, strip ASAP after the dive, dry off and put on warm dry clothes. People will laugh as you suddenly get colder, but soon you'll be toasty warm while they are freezing in their wetsuits.

There is no "dive season."

Warm water in a wetsuit between dives is very helpful when diving in cold water.

DSSW,

WWW™

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom