The Halcyon Eclipse single tank wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/eclipse.shtml

From ths it looks like the differences is in lift capasity (pioneer 27 and 36 vs eclipse 30 and 40). Also the eclipse has the new inflator, and it seems to be more durable and has a removal inner bladder which the pioneer doesn't have.

I'd go for the eclipse if I didn't already have my pioneer.

I would love to hear from anyone who purchases this wing from Halcyon in it's releasable form...ie, 360 degree zipper, etc. I have spoken to them on the phone, and still could not get a clear idea of how the zipper was finished, and a few other details. Appreciate your time.

Randy Kight
Richmond, VA. USA

Dont mean to hijack your thread. But does anyone know what the price on an eclipse is? I cant find an online store that has them posted. All they have is the pioneer setup (complete system $550).

SparkySFD once bubbled...
Dont mean to hijack your thread. But does anyone know what the price on an eclipse is? I cant find an online store that has them posted. All they have is the pioneer setup (complete system $550).

I gather that it's going to be more expensive, and the Pioneer will be the "value" option.

I haven't dived both, but I can tell you that from my viewpoint a big difference is that you can go sta-less with the pioneer and you have to use an sta with the eclipse (unless anyone knows of a fix, ie can you slice holes in the eclipse for straps to pass through?). For me its the difference between grabbing my valve and not. So I am sticking with the pioneer or oxycheq for now.

The pioneer is made with rods embedded within it to align the cylinder and slots for cam bands when going sta-less. In contrast, the oxycheq has slots for cam bands and no alignment rods. I own both a 45# pioneer and a 45# oxycheq wing (don't ask why). I dive both without an STA, they both work fine without an STA in my experience. YMMV

I have the 27# pioneer and since I already had a STA i use it insted of buying the cam straps to use the the STA-less system.

I use the same generic (dive-rite) cam straps with sta or without.

Here in the UK we are the great undecided.
No-one can really decide between the 40lb wing, which seems to have too much buoyancy, and the 30lb wing, which seems to have possibly-just-enough-but-perhaps-not. These questions fly around the forums every now and then. So...

Has anyone compared the two, or tried either one in a vareity of situations?
Does the 40lb wrap around the tank noticeably more? Does anyone have one and wished they'd got the other, and if so why?

With wetsuits up to 5mm, would the 30lb provide enough surface support, what with the extra weight compensating for ali tanks and thicker wetsuits? What about for women, who are generally more buoyant than men, and usually require a bit more weight? (in my experience)
I know that stopping the rig sinking is not a problem, but I'm talking about getting your head comfortably above the water at the beginning of a dive, which is the heaviest point.

Thanks for reading

cheers

r

Back
Top Bottom