The joy of a p-valve - help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
People,

I have a problem with my drysuit p-valve. I have read at least three funny threads on SB, talking about condoms, cups, glue, balanced/unbalanced, priming, leaking and disinfection. I evern read somebody talk about "cat litter" at the bottom of the drysuit feet. I'm confused.

I am a male diover, I have a balanced p-valve. After reading the instructions and SB, I went to a medical supplies store, bought the condoms and tried the valve with mixed results. Excuse me if I am too picturific.

The cantonese-speaking lady at the medical supplies store gave me 10 of those disposable condoms and a sort of velcro strap :| The conversation lasted for around 20 minutes and, considering I don;t speak cantonese and there was a line of elderly people waiting and staring, it was quite funny.

I put the all thing on (velcro strap included), but I was scared it would slip off during the dive. The first time it didn't. The second time... most of my pee went in the water, but a bit went in my pants. When I opened the suit, the condom was off. I tired again, but I am too scared to use the valve, I don't to pee myslef again.

I have read about glue somewhere, but I thought glue is only used by female divers? Are there more effective male condoms?
How do you guys make sure that thing stays on?

Please help me.

Luca

http://backpackandsunnies.blogspot.hk

Last edited:
You want the Rochester Wide Band. There is another one called the "Spirit", these appear to be the same as the wide band. I received some of these in my last order.

They have adhesive inside of the condom. You don't need the velcro band to secure these to your penis; the adhesive takes care of that. The adhesive bond will last most of the day, so there is generally no issue with it blowing off during your dive.

Here's the run down on how to put it on. It's the same as a regular recreational condom except for the adhesive.

1.) Pull the rolled up condom off of the plastic cap that it's attached to.

2.) Stick your head fully into the rolled up condom, making sure the adhesive doesn't stick to you before the next step.

3.) Pinch your head through the end of the condom (this keeps you positioned properly before unrolling it), this will minimize unnecessary space between your head and the end of the condom. Unroll it.

4.) Once it's fully unrolled, squeeze your penis (never thought I'd be telling anybody that bit of advice). This sets the glue bond.

5.) Cut the tube extension that is protruding from the end of the condom. You want the remaining length of that tube to match the length of the barb on the p-valve hose.

6.) Don't forget to shave, Sasquatch.

Cheers,
Mitch

...Stick your head fully into the rolled up condom, making sure the adhesive doesn't stick to you before the next step.

I must be doing it wrong, I can't get it over my ears... :)

Pullmyfinger has most of it correct, except he forgot:

You must clean yourself thoroughly before putting on the condom. Oil, Sweat, Dirt, your wife's taint, etc, will keep the condom from sticking very long. So, Wash it very thoroughly with soap and water, then dry it very thoroughly. THEN and only then put on the condom. Failure to clean first will result in condom blowing off prematurely.

Pullmyfinger has most of it correct, except he forgot:

You must clean yourself thoroughly before putting on the condom. Oil, Sweat, Dirt, your wife's taint, etc, will keep the condom from sticking very long. So, Wash it very thoroughly with soap and water, then dry it very thoroughly. THEN and only then put on the condom. Failure to clean first will result in condom blowing off prematurely.

:lol: Superlyte speaks the truth!

The problem is... well actually there are several...

First, is getting the proper size of condom. My Halcyon valve came with one, that was clearly meant for an 8 year old boy who had just come out of very cold water. So I upsized to "large", only to end up feeling inadequate. Finally ended up with "ML" and that's about right.

Second, condoms aren't meant to be put on to a ummm, "relaxed" bit of tackle. Sometimes I ask Mrs. Stoo to lend a hand, but then we just end up skipping the dive altogether... But I digress...

Then there's the whole issue of routing the tube so it doesn't kink. A kink is bad and can result in "backblow" which can not only result in leakage, but can actually lead to urinary tract infection.

And then, assuming you actually successfully complete the dive, there's the issue of removing the aforementioned adhesive. Once these babies are stuck, they're stuck. Maybe I'm just a whimp, but I damn near end up peeling the ol' banana (so to speak) even when I very gingerly remove the thing. It's an unpleasant experience to say the least.

All in all, I avoid using the thing like the plague... If I have a major dive, I'll use one, but otherwise, I've learned to kick with my legs crossed.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your results. Or not... :wink:

- I "route up" and would recommend doing that, and make sure the Norprene hose loop is long enough to make a gentle curve.

- I use a velcro strap to keep the top of the Norprene loop secured to one of my drysuit suspenders. That keeps the loop neat and holds the loop in place, which helps keep the tube extension on the condom cath from kinking.

- I use "Remove" pads when I remove the cath. Makes for a lot less painful experience - much, much less painful. I've heard that baby oil can help dissolve the adhesive as well.

Like a bandaid. Grip and rip.

I route to the right and send the tubing down my leg. I also try to "prime" the line before getting in the water and putting any pressure on the system. I've never had a leak but I have had "backblow" as Stoo calls it. I blame this primarily from not priming before entering the water but it could have been a kink.

I notice the condom is completely collapsed at the head once I've got the tube hooked up, kind like a vacuum was created so I think priming has prevented any unwanted issues.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom