"The Last Dive"...anyone else read it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter once bubbled...

I don't either.

A lot of it just seems like bad luck...with the exception of maybe Murley, I think most of the other deaths involved fairly experienced divers. Seemed like those kind of accidents could have happened off any boat.

King Kong Matt once bubbled...
A lot of it just seems like bad luck...with the exception of maybe Murley,

Murley was the instructor's fault more so than the boat crew's.

WW

WW
The captains took the instructor's word on the readiness of his student and the bottom line is that the instructor vouched for his student's qualifications which were sorely lacking...IMHO.

Yeah, you're right, but having now read "Fatal Depths", you get the sense that Crowell had a bad feeling upon first seeing someone so obviously overweight and unfit.

Obviously, Crowell has to be able to rely on the professional judgement of another instructor, but when even your own intuition tells you that something is not right, maybe you have an obligation...

-kkm

p.s. - WW, "Fatal Depth" had a good long section about Nick Caruso...do you know him? Just interested.

King Kong Matt once bubbled...

Yeah, you're right, but having now read "Fatal Depths", you get the sense that Crowell had a bad feeling upon first seeing someone so obviously overweight and unfit.

Obviously, Crowell has to be able to rely on the professional judgement of another instructor, but when even your own intuition tells you that something is not right, maybe you have an obligation...

-kkm

p.s. - WW, "Fatal Depth" had a good long section about Nick Caruso...do you know him? Just interested.

but if you kick everyone off the boat that looks unfit you'll have few passengers....

No, don't know him.

WW

there was a big argument; I'm not sure if it was techdiver, the wahoo yahoogroup or somewhere else; but it had to do with the "bus driver" concept that some of the EDBA were commenting on.

I always felt that was the right attitude; not for the captains to have; but for the divers to expect. In my opinion it's your ultimate responsibility, and yours alone, to determine if your ready for any dive. It's not the boat captains, your buddies, your instructors, or anyone else to tell you "No". For a captain to provide anything other than bus driving services to and from a wreck is a _service_ they provide, not a litigatable responsibility. If they don't have O2 on the boat and you need it [for example]; that's not their fault; you should have brought it yourself.

Spectre once bubbled...
there was a big argument; I'm not sure if it was techdiver, the wahoo yahoogroup or somewhere else; but it had to do with the "bus driver" concept that some of the EDBA were commenting on.

I always felt that was the right attitude; not for the captains to have; but for the divers to expect. In my opinion it's your ultimate responsibility, and yours alone, to determine if your ready for any dive. It's not the boat captains, your buddies, your instructors, or anyone else to tell you "No". For a captain to provide anything other than bus driving services to and from a wreck is a _service_ they provide, not a litigatable responsibility. If they don't have O2 on the boat and you need it [for example]; that's not their fault; you should have brought it yourself.
...ideally the boat captain would be a "part of the team", etc. etc. but in reality this is how the boats are run up here (the East Coast). When faced with the option of diving on these boats or sticking to the quarries until the boats start live boating and running chase boats to support drift deco, I will keep patronizing the boats. What can I say? I like to dive wrecks in the ocean...

We stick to our tight-knit buddy teams and we bring our own o2, so I think we are being as safe as possible..

Spectre,,
I agree with you, atleast for our part of the country. But, from what I hear down in warm waters people expect captain/mates to even put their gear toghter for them. That's scary, but, I guess if your buisness as a captain is based on tourist divers who get in the water twice a year there is a different expectation of liability (for example what if the captatin assembles somone's gear wrong) than in the NE where it's mostly just diehards who want to be left alone and count on themselves to insure saftey.

O-ring once bubbled...

... until the boats start live boating and running chase boats to support drift deco, I will keep patronizing the boats. What can I say? I like to dive wrecks in the ocean...

I think the Seeker has a chase boat, but they are one of the few up here that do. Actually they are one of the tougher boats on safety procedures. Their SOP page is 404, but I recall that they require a photo-copy of your Trimix card for dives over 150. Since they go to the deeper dives, they are tougher on safety.

http://www.deepexplorers.com/seeker/safety.html

Most of the boats I've been on here do not let you plan for a deco dive. Most of the dive shops do not teach Tech Diving.

I read "The Last Dive" this winter. Good book. I was amazed that Chris and Chrissy had 600+ dives in four years! I wish I could dive that much!!!!

I don't either.

WW

Yeup, i agree....

The one thing i disagree with is (and im not sure if it was the seeker or the wahoo) is the story in "Last Dive" where they said that a diver died and wasnt liked on the vessell and they knew if they called it in the dive trip would be over. So instead they stuck the dead diver in his sleeping bag and filled it with ice and continued to dive.

I didnt think that was very appropriate and i sure wished the USCG shut down what ever dive operation that was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom