The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish that I could be more positive, but I have to report that, having seen this film, it's not one that divers will particularly enjoy. It's very self-obsessed and introspective with very little of the humour for which Bill Murray is usually recognised. The underwater scenes, such as they are, are entirely synthetic, with mythical creatures and little real diving action - Great shame - we could all use a diving icon.

BTW - the Cousteau Society sell red watch caps for just $15 - Wes Anderson admits the homage his film represents to Cousteau - there are several nods to Calypso and Jacques-Yves in the film.

By all means form an opinion yourselves - maybe I just caught it on a bad day - as a non-diving film it probably has much artistic merit - but it disappointed me

Hello from Boca Raton

I just saw the film Life Aquatic staring Bill Murray this afternoon, sorry guys and gals this was the worst film I've seen in years. Dumb story that just didn't go any were. I did like seeing my old scuba gear from time to time that was interesting. I'm very surprised these famed actors would allow them selves to be in such a bad film after so much success in other flicks. The best part about this movie was seeing some of my antique diving equipment on film that I sold the producer last year.

DSV1

PS: The second good thing about this flick in my view, is the cool web site they made for the film.

My previous post/opinion got lost in the crash so here goes again).

IMHO, save your money. The trailers had about all the humour in the film. As someone else mentioned, no decent underwater footage and entirely too dark. No much comedy, not much drama, not much too recommend it. On the plus side, we saw the first showing locally on Christmas afternoon and they had several bouts of sound problems, so we got free passes to see another show.

Matt and I went and saw it and although Matt thought that there were alot of good references about Cousteau and alot of humour built around them, I found that I almost fell asleep several times. If only the dolphins would have had fricken lazers on them!!

The most abysmal movie I think I have ever seen. There was no humour, Bill Murray was at his worst, Angelica Huston (one of my favorite actresses) was disappointing. Everyone in the movie must be near broke and that is why the agreed to participate in this fiasco. Brutal just brutal.

Butch103:
The most abysmal movie I think I have ever seen. ....Brutal just brutal.

Wow - that was close I almost went to see it last night (should have came here sooner!) Too bad, I was looking forward to this flick, I guess I will wait for hit it to video, which might be pretty soon if everyone thinks it's that bad :(

Did see "The Aviator" though last night, which was a great movie!

I saw it on Christmas Day, it had its moments as a comedy, but pretty average at best. Very poor dive movie.

Wait for it on cable.

Dave

I continue to be amazed that people were looking forward to this stinker (and to "Open Water" earlier). My faith in humanity is renewed by the many poor reviews here. The trailers for both were enough to lose my interest (and for this ome that appears to have been the best part).

My recommendation? Buy one of my fantastic underwater DVD's instead of seeing these stinkers!!

Dr. Bill

cobaltbabe:
If only the dolphins would have had fricken lazers on them!!

:lol2: Is that you Dr. Evil?

Yes, the movie was pretty disappointing. Cute mythical critters, though. Personally, I want one of those "Crayon Pony Fish" :wink:

Owen Wilson can be funny, but not always. I can't think of any actor or actress, for that matter, I like as much as Pue does Owen Wilson. I guess I'm not as entertained by Hollywood as others are.

Pue, you’re amused entirely too easily. You need to get out of the office a little more often. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom