The Morrison Spring Cavern Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is this something that just needs a few divers or the more the better?

Honestly, I would say more is not better, not by any means... It'll just open up the chances of someone shining there lights directly at the camera, someone blowing sand up everywhere(backscatter), not hitting there marks, ect.

Honestly, I'd go for 4-5 divers for lighting/camera needs.

2 divers with slave strobes, hitting up predetermined areas of interest.

2 divers behind the scene, painting cave wall slowly, in a planned manner.

1 guy triggering the shutter on the camera and signalling when to start and when to restart for another go at it.

Yes, we will want to do this several times in order to hopefully get atleast one good shot! If we have multiple good shots, thats a good thing! If we do this just once, and it sucks, we'll only have laughs to share the world :)

I was really thinking of a well devised plan...once we work out the camera and lighting issues, then someone could work out a plan for the number of divers we would need in the cavern. There will be some areas not really covered in the picture, like behind the lens. We could post "safety divers" with stages just for backup and safety. That way we could plan for worst case scenarios that would provide backup gas for worst case scenarios. We do not want everyone trying to get out of the cavern at one time. Other issues like time of day would need to be considered. Doing an early morning shot before things get stirred up would also be a consideration.

Now that we have some interest in the idea, maybe we can get people to handle different phases of the project. Just some suggestions of areas we need to a person to coordinate:

Cameras
Lighting
Safety
Surface Support

I also think that once Morrison is open we could make some test dives with cameras and lighting, so we could refine our process before the actual day of the dive.

Just some thoughts....

Yes! Exactly. The people painting the cave walls could act as safety support as the photography will obviously take a backseat if there is some sort of incident. The less people in the cavern, the better for the photo.

We could set up an earlier dive to clean out the cavern of unwanted garbage, so other participants can play too. Then get one of those cheesy 20 people piled on the log pictures for good measure.

I'm not allowed in closed DARK confined spaces yet.. till I grow up!! :)

A pix of all of us on the log would be cool!!! I'd be glad to help haul junk out and to support from just out side the entrance.

I will lend support in anyway needed. I will be more than happy to stay out of the cavern. The cheesey shot of too many divers on the log can not be made without me though. I am the cheesiest.

Im not cave anything. And was instructed by the G/F that cave diving/training was not on the approved activities list:depressed:(At least for now:wink:). But I'd love to help out as OW/Log Weight/Clean-up/Surface support/Medical support (passed my NECLEX and got my RN license last month:D).

Honestly, I would say more is not better, not by any means... It'll just open up the chances of someone shining there lights directly at the camera, someone blowing sand up everywhere(backscatter), not hitting there marks, ect.

Honestly, I'd go for 4-5 divers for lighting/camera needs.

2 divers with slave strobes, hitting up predetermined areas of interest.

2 divers behind the scene, painting cave wall slowly, in a planned manner.

1 guy triggering the shutter on the camera and signalling when to start and when to restart for another go at it.

Yes, we will want to do this several times in order to hopefully get atleast one good shot! If we have multiple good shots, thats a good thing! If we do this just once, and it sucks, we'll only have laughs to share the world :)

Yes! Exactly. The people painting the cave walls could act as safety support as the photography will obviously take a backseat if there is some sort of incident. The less people in the cavern, the better for the photo.

We could set up an earlier dive to clean out the cavern of unwanted garbage, so other participants can play too. Then get one of those cheesy 20 people piled on the log pictures for good measure.

Matt, by chance have you done any HDR photography? Could be an option. Let me know if you need any information on it. A ton of information can be obtained from the POTN website, if you like it, there is also an underwater photography website that may have some good information. Sorry I can't help ya. Out of 11K worth of photography gear, not one piece of it can get wet. Lol

Kenny

Mat the following photo was taken with a single Mag light. I just walked back and forth lighting up the train. As log as you donÃÕ stop moving or shine the beam back towards the camera you will not see the light source or the person I have painted the entire two sides of the large church that sits up on 59 by county rd 32. You will want an ISO of 100 or below if possible or better yet an SLR with provia slide film works better. If you all need any help with the Digital darkroom IÃÍl gladly lend a hand. I have most of the adobe photoshops and plugins on the market or I can get my hands on it quick from Arthur Morris or Greg Downing

Another thought came to mind. Have you considered the use of a 12vt light? Such as a flounder light or pool light? It wouldnÃÕ take much to seal one up and set a battery up top it donÃÕ take much light for a long exposure. If there was a way of using my strobes and light boxes underwater I would gladly let you use them

Attachments

• 483077-ed92ab272a387c44.jpg
    483077-ed92ab272a387c44.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 84
I am happy to help and would even come over there for a weekend event to be a part of this. I do have a 10w HID. I think we could do some rentals on dive lights from shops who might want their name to be a part of this. I also would recommend talking to some of the professionals. Jill Heinerth is available for questions and would also be a good source of who to get in touch with! http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/RebreatherPro.html

Carolyn:shark2:

Im not cave anything. And was instructed by the G/F that cave diving/training was not on the approved activities list:depressed:(At least for now:wink:). But I'd love to help out as OW/Log Weight/Clean-up/Surface support/Medical support (passed my NECLEX and got my RN license last month:D).

Congratulations on your RN!!!!! I am in my 16th year as a nurse. Tim

Back
Top Bottom