The New Atomic TFX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a backup 2nd stage, if one was to standardize to Atomic, is there any reason to get anything other than a standalone B2 2nd? My understanding is the core components on all of them are Ti and identical, the only difference being the faceplate trim. Is that true or a misunderstanding? I ask because looking at the standalone 2nd price difference between let's say a T3 and a B2 is about $700 vs $450.

As a backup 2nd stage, if one was to standardize to Atomic, is there any reason to get anything other than a standalone B2 2nd? My understanding is the core components on all of them are Ti and identical, the only difference being the faceplate trim. Is that true or a misunderstanding? I ask because looking at the standalone 2nd price difference between let's say a T3 and a B2 is about $700 vs $450.
I believe you are correct that the internal components of the second stage T3, B2, Ti2 and STI are the same. The Ti2 comes with a yellow face plate and does not have the Comfort Swivel Hose. The T3 Swivel Hose is Titanium. The STI Swivel Hose is Stainless Steel and the B2 Swivel Hose is Chrome plated Brass. If $ is a concern and you want the Swivel Hose you can also look at the Z3 which has the same B2 Swivel Hose but uses a Zirconium inlet tube.

Yes, as Yellowdog said. I would just use a Ti2 or a B2. The internals of the T3 and T2X etc only add a lever that is covered in a golden colored PVD coating of Zirconium or something, to make ist slicker. And the swivel hoses differ in material. I have Ti2s with T1X covers.

I've got a Ti2 that I used for a necklaced backup for Solo & ITT. I have it on a pretty short hose with a 110\70 swivel on it - nice and trim with just enough reach to look left.

I would think that the 32" Atomic swivel hose would make for a pretty big arc. Since there was a whole (sub)thread about cutting them down to length, I am probably not alone.

Once I get my TFX I can retire my D400 primary to spare duty and I'll be all Ti.

Personally, I would not pay all the extra money that goes with buying a backup 2nd that has a Comfort Swivel.

If you want the Ti guts, get a Ti2 Octo. If you don't care about Ti guts, buy a Z2 2nd stage to use as your backup.

I got the Ti2 Octo as the backup reg on my TFX set. I like it because:

- it doesn't come with the swivel, so I'm not paying extra for something I get no benefit from.
- I run my backup on the longer hose off my 1st stage, run under my right arm, and attached to my right chest area. With no swivel, just a straight hose, it hangs more nicely - especially when I'm in good horizontal trim.
- The Ti2 octo comes with the narrow exhaust tee, so it's less bulky. Again, nice, for something I have never yet even used.

I'm pretty sure the Ti2 is identical to the B2, except for different face plate, exhaust tee, and no swivel.

I've got a Ti2 that I used for a necklaced backup for Solo & ITT. I have it on a pretty short hose with a 110\70 swivel on it - nice and trim with just enough reach to look left.

I would think that the 32" Atomic swivel hose would make for a pretty big arc. Since there was a whole (sub)thread about cutting them down to length, I am probably not alone.

Once I get my TFX I can retire my D400 primary to spare duty and I'll be all Ti.
Can the swivel be attached to a 3rd party hose?

Can the swivel be attached to a 3rd party hose?

I believe the Atomic Comfort Swivel is built into the hose it comes on. No way to move it to a 3rd party hose.

Personally, when I want a swivel on a hose, I use the ones from Cave Adventurers. Some people don't like them because they say those swivels can come apart in the water. I suspect that is true. But, I have been using them for a number of years now and never had one fail - yet!

$35 - Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

I believe the Atomic Comfort Swivel is built into the hose it comes on. No way to move it to a 3rd party hose.

Personally, when I want a swivel on a hose, I use the ones from Cave Adventurers. Some people don't like them because they say those swivels can come apart in the water. I suspect that is true. But, I have been using them for a number of years now and never had one fail - yet!

$35 - Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
the swivel is indeed built into the hose. I believe @rsingler found a trident fitting that could be used to shorten them for bungeed use. he'll have to chime on for the part number though...

Trident's OS-HRKS, Omni-Swivel Hose Repair Kit. It contains both ends.
You can buy just the first stage end for ~75% of the total kit price, direct from Omni-Swivel.

The service manual and schematics are complete. Manuals, spare parts and service kits are not being released until a technician completes a Huish service course, so I can't help you there. O-rings look to be a mix of AS568 and metric's, with no British Standard 1.6mm in there, as I once feared. So with a set of easily available o-rings, a reversible seat and some Micromesh to polish the knife edge, you should be able to get 4 years before you have to buy a service kit.
Had a nice chat with the head of Huish training, and it would appear they've made one change in response to a few wet breathers. There was a scattered incidence, because the diaphragm was not pinned tightly enough in place by the retaining ring above the diaphragm cover. So they've thickened the retaining ring a hair. That's the only change.
There's a tool being made (don't have one yet) that mimics the top cover with o-ring seals, but has a small hole in the top for quick adjustment that you plug with a fingertip for tests. So, no more repeated removal of the cover for tuning adjustment. Interestingly, they just have a flat blade screwdriver for the adjustment, so I think @James79 has the better tool. We'll get together to see whether it's possible to 3D print the threaded/o-ringed Scubapro tool.

Any more in-water observations? Or are we still stuck in winter mode?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom