The Pasley Aug 06 Dive Report Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: 2006-08-30
Dive Location: Shaw's Cove, Laguna Beach
Buddy(ies): Rocket, Ben, Jizzy
Splash in: 18:18
Bottom Time: 52 minutes
Max Depth: 41 fsw
Vis: 10ish most of the dive, maybe 30 in the shallows
Wave height: 1-3 (mostly on the small side)
Temp at depth: 63F (Aeris)
Tide: High
Surge: 3-5' at times, fairly strong current on return

Nice evening dive. Conditions up to the crevice were gorgeous. Viz was excellent, light surge, nice and warm. Great! As soon as we headed further down the reef, viz deteriorated to about 10 or so, temperature dropped, and the current and surge picked up. It didn't help that my stupid arse forgot my gloves and boots at home, so that didn't make for the most comfortable environment.

Despite poor human conditions, the wildlife was out in full effect. We saw many, many fish, at least 2 large bat rays, 2 eels (one of which scared the heck out of me by swimming right in front of my face while he transferred homes), an octopus, several sheep crab, and so on. When we hit turnaround rock, the conditions didn't pick up, but there was even more life; tons of it!

On the way back in the south-bound current had picked up and made us work a little to get back in. Once in the shallows the current was better, but surge had picked up. I tried going through the little swim through, and was shot out like a cannon. Yippee!

Dive Location: North Crescent Bay, Laguna Beach
Buddy(ies): Kelli
Splash in: 12:34
Bottom Time: 63 minutes
Max Depth: 36 fsw
Vis: A startling 40' in many spots!! Then down to a disappointing 30'.
Wave height: 1-3
Temp at depth: 66F (Suunto)
Surge: 1-3', stronger on the beach side...calmed down in the Bird Rock area.

Two late risers groggily head out to Crescent around 11:00am. At the bottom of the stairs, the lifegaurd was threatening to close off the beach to divers reporting that the conditions were very surgey and the surf was high. Whatever. On our swim out we never lost sight of the bottom as it was dropping off.

This was a tropical dive...warm, clear, beautiful! The usual cast of characters came out to play with us, including several large schools of (small silver fish?). An interesting sight was one of those red, plastic party cups that had been wedged into a crevice and was already hosting several forms of life on its surface as well as inside. Truly an amazing dive...wish it could have lasted longer, but...

Before our descent we did a bubble check (I recommend this to everyone!), looking to see if air was escaping any hoses, valves, whatever. Kelli's tank was leaking tiny bubbles around the neck, but we decided to continue the dive and keep an eye on the pressure. 63 minutes on an 80 is still respectable with a leaking tank!

Good conditions yesterday afternoon at Crescent!

Dive Location: Vet's Park, Redondo Beach
Buddy(ies): Shaun
Splash in: 19:57
Bottom Time: 25 minutes
Max Depth: 28 fsw
Vis: 5'.
Wave height: 1-3
Temp at depth: 66F (Suunto)
Surge: 1-2'

Divers coming out of the water reporting horrible vis at all depths last night. A diver I met before (but never dived with), was asking if he could join me. I told him that if someone with more skill than I came along who was willing to team up with him, to grab that chance, but if no one else showed, I'd do it.

No one showed, so I agreed to be leader on the condition that we remained shallow (it was his first night dive, and my first time as leader with someone with less experience than I). Entry and descent were pretty uneventful, but on the kick-out to our max depth Shaun's HP hose developed a decent leak at his console. He had enough air remaining to swim back so we turned around, swam back to the entry point checking his air along the way, and ascended.

A day of bubbles for me yesterday. Did I mention that a bubble check is recommended?

Back
Top Bottom