The Pasley "HURRY HOME" August '07 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickster:
Date: aug 18
Dive Location: Deer Creek Rd
Buddy(ies):Steve, Lisa, Maciek, John
Time:8:30am
Bottom Time:58min & 72min
Max Depth: 34' & 31'
Vis: 8' to 15'
Wave height: what waves?
Temp at depth: 62 deg
Surface Temp:69 deg

Rick

Wow Rick, you have one optimistic temp gage...

I had 58 degrees. You trying not to scare away other divers?:D

Dash Riprock:
Wow Rick, you have one optimistic temp gage...

I had 58 degrees. You trying not to scare away other divers?:D

Oh Man! You let my secret out of the bag:D

Yet Another Marineland Dive Report.
I arrived about a half hour before sunrise to find the gates still locked. So much for the Coastal Commission. It didn't matter, as the trail is still plowed under in places. I pulled my little red wagon through the hole in the fence and headed down to the cove. It was nice to gear up without the hot Sun beating down on my neck.
The surf was up today, with sets of three to four feet. Fortunately there were long lulls between the sets. I timed my entry and headed for the Point. Despite the six foot vis I was able to locate the statues this time. They each have encrusting sponges, algae, limpets, tube worms, nudibranch eggs and black eyed gobies sitting on them. The Jesus Blob even has a white urchin for a hat.
I didn't find many nudibranchs today. Perhaps the floating snot in the water scared them away.
As I made my way back to the cove the vis deteriorated to zero. I cut my dive short (51 minutes) and timed my exit. I walked out without a problem. On Sunday with lake-like conditions I tripped on a rock in six inches of water and fell. Go figure.
DSCF2304.jpg

Barnacle and tiny anemone living on a finger sponge

DSCF2306.jpg

The Jesus Blob. It used to be a plaster statue. All that remains is the concrete and sand screw.

DSCF2307.jpg

Our Lady of the Garden

DSCF2311.jpg

The life on the statues appears to be very healthy.

DSCF2295.jpg

DSCF2316.jpg

Hermissenda crassicornis on a mission.

DSCF2320.jpg

Sea cucumber

DSCF2322.jpg

Sunstar

Merry's Birthday is the 22nd, so we took the week off and had a relaxing time in Avalon. We arrived Wednesday and spent the day eating Olaf's waffle cones and walking around town. Thursday and Friday were spent on the King Neptune in search of Giant Sea Bass. We were shut out on Day One, although most of the other divers saw some. We found gravel and sand. Merry did manage to come home with at least ten new species for her shell collection. On Day Two our luck changed. Our first dive was at Italian Gardens where it is almost a guarantee to find them. We dropped below the thermocline and there they were. I spotted two in the kelp with a few more zipping by overhead. Dr. Bill told me it was two males chasing a female.
Our next dive was at the West End Quarry where we saw the largest Scythe Butterfly fish I have ever seen. It was about five inches long. It was the only one we saw, but Dr. Bill said he had at least ten in front of his face. Merry found a Hopkin's Rose nudibranch that measured less than 2mm. It looked like a pink dot on a kelp leaf.
While looking for more butteryfly fish I spotted two Rainbow scorpionfish, very rare in Southern California. They were within twenty feet of each other, so maybe they traveled here together.
As I dropped down for the sixth dive of the trip I saw slight movement in the sand. It was a baby Navanax polyalphos about 6mm long.
We came back on Saturday afternoon so we could relax, wash gear and get ready for some cold water diving again at Marineland tomorrow. The water temps in the shallows at Catalina were in the 70s.
Navanaxpolyalphos.jpg

Baby Navanax polyalphos

HopkinsRose1.jpg

Baby Hopkin's Rose

Islandkelpfishl.jpg

Island Kelpfish

NorrisTopsnail.jpg

Norris top snail

Topsnailcloseup.jpg

Ready for my close up, Mr. Norris

Bluebandedgoby2.jpg

What's a Catalina dive without a Blue banded goby?

Rainbowscorpionfish2.jpg

Rainbow scorpionfish

Rainbowscorpionfish.jpg

This one was shy

GSB5.jpg

Dr. Bill video tapes his favorite dive buddy

GSB8.jpg

GSB and diver

GSB9.jpg

The birthday girls meets Mr. Black

GSB11.jpg

Merry says goodbye to her new friend

The surface temps at Catalina this week were as high as 75F. I dived in 55F this morning with Jeff Shaw and it felt good to be home. We met at Marineland around 7:30 and quickly loaded the wagon for the jaunt down the plowed, piped and newly fenced trail. The Down Time anchored outside the cove over nothing but sand. We guessed they had Open Water students who were afraid of rocks and fish. We headed to the main reef instead.
We quickly found the statues where EJ posed for me. The crack between the pinnacles were filled with Rubberlip surf perch and a large male Sheephead. My housing must have been used to Catalina, as it fogged after a few shots. I tried to get some Christmas Tree worms and nudibranchs without luck.
We walked out easily despite the rising surf. The cool. overcast morning really helped our wagon pull up the hill. We only had to rest a couple of times.
DSCF2461.jpg

Down Time exploring the sand

DSCF2465.jpg

Evil Jeff gets a little healing from the Jesus Blob

DSCF2464.jpg

Our Lady of the Garden gives Jeff a little love as well.

DSCF2467.jpg

Standing guard at Ted's Pinnacle

DSCF2468.jpg

Rubberlips galore

DSCF2475.jpg

Spanish Shawl keeps a lookoout

DSCF2515.jpg

Sea Hares making spaghetti

Hi All,

Went up to Refugio today to help out a couple of friends with a OW class. Another friend was there with her class also, we had a total of 26 divers there. At one point on the second dive we all entered the water together it looked like a military op. I wish someone had taken a picture. The vis. wasn't that good around 5-6 ft on the inside of the reef & opened up to around 9-10 ft. Not to many critters there today but we did see a couple of huge Sea Hares.

John

Date: 8/24/07
Dive Location: Catalina: Avalon Dive Park
Buddy(ies): Scott and Penny
Time: 1:30 pm.
Bottom Time: 1 Hr 9 Min
Max Depth: 77 fsw
Vis: 20-30 feet
Wave height: N/A
Temp at depth: 62 F
Surface Temp: 76F

I was in Avalon for the week with the family and luckily I was able to break away from everyone to get a dive in with Scott and Penny.

We hit the water at around 1:30 looking for the ever elusive Giant Sea Bass. On one of Scott and Penny’s previous dives, they were fortunate enough to spot one. This time we were not so lucky.

We dropped down near the stairs and slowly worked our way in the direction of the Su-Jac. This was a very pleasant mellow dive that I enjoyed very much. We spotted a few Kelp Fish (my pictures did not turn out well), schooling Salema, Horn Shark, Juvi Garibaldi’s and towards the end of the dive as we were working our way to exit at the stairs, we swam around for a while in a huge bait ball.

Here are some highlights from the dive.

Kelp82407.jpg

Salema482407.jpg

Salema382407.jpg

JuvenileGaribaldi182407.jpg

Blacksmith82407.jpg

HornShark182407.jpg

Scott282407.jpg

Salema182407.jpg

Scott182407.jpg

BaitBall182407.jpg

BaitBall382407.jpg

Date: 8/25/07
Dive Location: Catalina: Avalon Dive Park
Buddy(ies): Solo
Time: 12:01 pm.
Bottom Time: 50 Min
Max Depth: 65 fsw
Vis: 20-30 feet
Wave height: N/A
Temp at depth: 67 F
Surface Temp: 76F

Another great day in Avalon!!

Once again, I was able to break away from the family and get a dive in. Talk about crowded!! There was a line to get in the water. Jeeeezz……

My plan was to visit the swim platform hang around for a while and search for Nudi’s. Well, I never did end up finding any…DAMN!!! But the dive was great and I had a wonderful time going in and out of the structure. Too bad I had a short fill. Finding it was a piece of cake and when I was working my way back, I ran into another bait ball. Check out the video.

Here are some highlights from the dive.

BEGChain82507.jpg

BlueBandedGoby82507.jpg

CupCoral82507.jpg

Garibaldi82507.jpg

Scallop282507.jpg

SwimPlatform82507.jpg

Gorgonian182507.jpg

Sheephead82507.jpg

COSole82507.jpg

Hi All,

Went up to Refugio yesterday to help out a couple of friends with a OW class. Another friend was there with her class also, we had a total of 26 divers there. At one point on the second dive we all entered the water together it looked like a military op. I wish someone had taken a picture. The vis. wasn't that good around 5-6 ft on the inside of the reef & opened up to around 9-10 ft. Not to many critters there today but we did see a couple of huge Sea Hares.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom