The Pasley July 06 Dive Report Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....and here's the oration :D

LJ Shores, North Wall – Night Dive, Monday July 3rd

Info:
Calm warm evening with clear skies
3.5’ tide receding on a 0.9 knot ebb
Average 2’-3’ waves with occasional overhead sets
Sea surface temperature 69 degrees
Bottom temperature at maximum depth was 53 degrees
Visibility ranged from 2’-3’ to 5’-8’, depending on depth, temp, proximity to Bat Rays and the whims of Neptune
Maximum depth was 80’
Total bottom time was 1 hour and a smidgen

Photos: (All photos were taken by Terry / Divinman)
The link to Terry’s photos is here; http://www.scubapost.net/forums/Scorpionfish/070306/

The Report:

Feeling overly smug in our lives, Terry and I decided to tempt fate and the Holiday Gods by diving at La Jolla Shores on the night before the 4th. The saying that drunks and idiots benefit from the protection of a higher power proved true in this instance, as we found a parking spot in the front row, next to the lifeguard tower. Deciding not to pick which of those two protections we would fall under, we geared up instead.

Overly red tourist still glowed in the sand as a beautiful ‘Endless Summer’ sun sank hissing into the sea. We were passed the buoy, preparing to drop down just as the last sizzle was heard from the horizon. Hovering over what would have been a 25’ depth if we had face planted into the bottom, rather than balancing expertly at 24’ as we did, we faced West and headed towards the canyon.

During that short 24’ ride from the surface, I was able to discover two things. One, my borrowed mask leaked like a sieve, keeping my eyes blinking and stinging in a sea water bath which I continued to purge throughout the dive. Two, my computer had decided that in that short drop, it had seen enough and was shutting down shop for the holiday. Explaining my woes to my intrepid dive buddy, Terry shrugged at my mask dilemma, as he’d already given me the offending piece of equipment and there was nothing more he could do to make it worse. He did have a fix for my computer though, and pulled off one of what seemed like dozens of computers and gear bungeed to his forearm. I was afraid to ask for more, fearing he would open up his trench coat and try to sell me a Rolex.

Deciding I had enough on my mind, I shut my camera down, slinging it under my arm, thinking photography would best be left to the Master on this dive. There was an abundance of Swimming Crabs, Lizardfish and the occasional Sea Mouse to entertain us on our descent. Two Spot and Red Octopus were littered across the slopes in various sizes and states of repose. Most slink away into various holes after giving us a wonderful color display, but a few simply ignored us.
We saw various colors and ages of Rockfish and the usual Gobies and such. There was also a wealth of Brittle Stars holding hands and waving as we passed, along with an unexpected but welcome flash of color from a patch of Club-tipped Anemones. Even though visibility was generally much worse than at depth, we actually saw a greater variety of life in the shallows. We encountered several very large Bat Rays, some within finger grasp if we had wanted to, four or five Shovelnosed Guitarfish, herds of Croakers and Ocean Whitefish, and the ever present D. Iris.

We also cruised over an occasional Turbot and Sole, in addition to a 3’ Halibut. We encountered a very lazy and uninterested 3’ Horn Shark along with a number of Stingrays and a small 5” Thornback Ray. I also encountered a 10” Brown Shrimp swimming straight towards me, headlights to headlights in an apparent game of chicken. Knowing I could not face my friends as a man had I let something so oxymoronic as a large Shrimp beat me in a case of chicken, I stayed my course. With his beady little eyes glowing red in demonic fervor, I continued straight towards him, refusing to give way. He was going to have to splat against my borrowed mask like a bug on an Arizona highway before I turned, and I think the little guy could see it in my fast approaching eyes. “Big” brown decided to veer off at the last minute, saving his life and my reputation.

More Bat Rays and Guitarfish graced us with their presence, along with a decent sized Leopard Shark so close, Terry could have poked his spots had he the inclination, which he didn’t by the way. We continued through surgy low vis until reaching the shallows, where we stood up to a welcoming party of incoming sets. Using our talents and good looks, we were able to outsmart the waves, as we had done on entry, escaping with all our equipment. It was a wonderful dive with lots of life seen, despite the limited visibility.

John A.

Date: 7/3/2006
Dive Location: Islas de Los Coronados, Baja Norte
Buddy(ies): Brandon
Time: 9:37 am, 11:42 am, 1:56 pm, 2:54 pm
Bottom Time: 50 min, 76 min, 35 min, 30 min
Max Depth: 60 fsw, 33 fsw, 55 fsw, 36 fsw
Vis: 15 ft, 35 ft, 40 ft, 40 ft
Wave height: 1-2 ft
Temp at depth: 54 F, 60 F, 57 F, 57 F
Surface Temp: N/A
Tide information: N/A
Gas mix: 21%

Comments: Brandon and I headed down to San Diego for a day trip to the Coronados on the Lois Ann. The morning started with a mad panic when I awakened about 35 mins past the time that the alarm was set to go off. Luckily, I had loaded up the truck the night before. We dashed out the door and made record time to Mission Bay. We arrived with a little time to spare. At the dock, we were greeted by Anita, the friendly Lois Ann DM, who helped us lug the gear on to the boat and secure a couple spots. Skies were partially overcast and seas were approx 2+ ft. We enjoyed a nice ride out to the islands.

Dive #1 - The Key Hole: We arrived at Coronado del Norte about an hour and change after departure. We anchored several yards offshore in approx 60 FSW. There was a some wave and surge activity, so we decided not to attempt to swim through the Key Hole. Instead, we explored the steep ledge directly out front. We dropped down to the bottom, then headed toward shallower water where we spent most of the dive in about 40 fsw. Water temps were a chilly 54 F, and vis was a green soupy 10-15ft. Regardless, we had fun poking around the rocky urchin barrens where we encountered tons of California Sea Hare, including several mating chains ... lots of Painted Greenlings, Frindgeheads, and little Kelpfish ... also some cool little nudibraches, including a mating pair of Mexichromis Porterae. We cut the dive short at ~50 mins, since we were the last to enter and had to spend a little readjusting gear. We were the last ones back on the boat.

Dive #2 - Lobster Shack: We pulled up anchor and moved a few hundred yard to Lobster Shack where we re-anchored in approx 35 fsw. There were a few pinnipeds on the bank, including approximately a dozen permanent resident Harbor Seals including pups ... as well as a handful of Sea Lions, including one very vocal adult. We were very excited about the possibility of marine mammal encounters. Unfortunately, no one wanted to come out and play. We spent entire dive above the thermocline (between 15-20 fsw) hoping we'd catch a glimpse of them, but no such luck. The water was much warmer (~63F) above the thermocline and vis was notably better too (~35+ ft). We had a nice long dive exploring the shallows. We saw more of the same stuff, as well as some Trigger Fish, large Calico Bass, and lots of friendly Garibaldi looking for a handout. We eventually caved in an obliged ... heck, the place is completely covered in urchins.

Dive #3 - Table Tops: Next we moved toward Coronado del Medio and a site named Table Tops ... a series of pronounced ledges. Here, we had the option of doing one long dive or two shorter dives. We decided to do two. We descended in 55 fsw and made our way up the series of ledges to about 30 fsw where we spent the remainder of the dive. We saw much of the same stuff. However, here was saw more White Sea Urchins, including some that appeared to be engaged in predation on other urchin species; some very large Chestnut Cowries and more football sized Sea Hare. About midway into the dive we came up on an abandoned fishing net. Most of it laid over the bottom, however, a large segment was still attached to floats creating a large vertical wall of netting in the water column. The grim remains of an unfortunate Cormorant served as a serious reminder of the entanglement hazard. We steered clear. As we were exploring the top of the ledge, we caught a few glimpses of a large marine mammal cruising along on the surface overhead. After ~30 minutes, we picked up the anchor line and began our slow ascent. When we reached ~18 fsw, we paused for a 3 minute safety stop. After a few seconds we were joined by a friendly visitor ... a Sea Lion. He buzzed us a few times, before going through its whole cutie pie routine; blowing bubbles, barking, little contorted posses while demonstrating it's mastery of buoyancy. It hung about for a couple minutes, before flying off to go play with other divers. Very cool !

Dive #4 - Table Tops: This was a very short dive. We basically dropped down the anchor line and did a few concentric circles around it. We saw much of the same stuff as the previous dive except the Sea Lion, who was pre-occupied with snorklers who swam out to play. Albeit short, it was still a very fun and relaxed dive. This dive marked B-Boy's 50th logged dive. :wave-smil

In summary, it was an great day of fun, easy diving off Mexican waters ... and a very memorable experience. The crew of the Lois Ann, are awesome. Capt Carl and DM Anita are very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Anita serves up some seriously delicious chicken quesadillas for the return trip. On the drive home, Brandon and I stopped for short visit with Kimber. She was very upbeat an pleasant and is making very good progress with her physical therapy. We chatted for a while about various things, including a re-cap of our day of diving. We left her a pretty little baby abalone shell that we picked up on one of our dives.

IMG_0025a.JPG

IMG_0039a.JPG

IMG_0060a.JPG

IMG_0062a.JPG

IMG_0067a.JPG

IMG_0077a.JPG

IMG_0083a.JPG

HBDiveGirl:
Date: July 1, 2006
Dive Location: Santa Cruz Island, Claudette's Rock
Buddy: Mo2vation
Time: 4PM splash
Bottom Time: 1 hour, 21 minutes
Max Depth: 41fsw
Vis: 40+, from the surface to the bottom: Lovely
Wave height: The waves were 'bout 200 yards away... didn't really give 'em a thought :14: . We were diving from the Brand-Spanking-New dive boat Sunfish!
Temp at depth: 55F

The Dive:
We were a ship of eager guinea pigs as the Sunfish crew motored through this shake-down cruise. They circumnavigated Anacapa Island, shook their heads in disgust at the murky water, and drove us to Santa Cruz Island. They anchored at North Scorpion, ushered us overboard and retrieved us. We raided the galley as they fillled tanks and zoomed to the Radar station cliffside, where we Tiny-Strided off the deck again (LOVE the 14 inch "drop" to the water :D ). Viz was iffy at both sites, but we saw some fun life. Crazy surge and Sahara sandstorm on the bottom at the second site was a challenge. Beauty was in the rays and sharks and fingers of sunlight lasering down from the stained-glass kelp ceiling.

But we were all craving some island magic. I painted "blue-sky" images to Captain Andy of what I wished we could be diving:
"Find us some pinnacles, Cap'n... some nice vertical wall structure, maybe head-high off the bottom... 30 to 50fsw would be great... and maybe some clearer water farther off shore..."

Ahhhh, if only.......

But Captain Andy listened, thought a moment, and said, "OK, let's go find it."

REALLY??? :D NOW we're talkin'!!!

200 yards offshore, the anchor rattled down. "Water's looking clear. About 8-foot relief on the rocks down there. You might like it."

SPLASH.... PARACHUTE down though honeyed clouds of kelp... and HOVER down into beauty and clear water, hooting and hollering into my reg: "OMG, this is BEAUTIFUL! LOOK at these rock formations packed with life and great 40+ viz and LOOK at that nudibranch and Sunflower Star!!!" (Enunciation wasn't quite that clear, but Ken seemed to understand me exactly :wink: Now, THIS is diving!)

The reef is made of pancaked layers, tilted up about 20 degrees, and broken off and eroded. The tallest stand up about 6-8 feet off the shell-debris bottom. The soft layers have eroded back one, two, or even three feet in depth resulting in parallel shelves packed with life. Just PACKED!! Sunflower stars, Cowries, corynactis, sponges, black urchins and some purples, keyhole limpets, bryozoans, tunicates, brittle stars, bat stars, spined stars, leather stars, cucumbers, snails and worms, gorgonia and anemones.... IT NEVER STOPPED!

And did I mention the nudibranchs? :D Ken photographed 7 distinct species, adding to the two species found on our earlier dives. (The surge was still quite frisky, and I'm amazed at his determination and skill, composing and shooting in the oscillating push-and-shove. I was whipped back and forth several times, and I had nothing to manage but myself. The pictures we reviewed in the galley afterwards were delightful!! I just don't know he could pull this off, but I'm grateful for the lasting images to add to my memories.)

We found a sleeping swell shark and left it dreaming soundly. Clacking Garibaldi's Boys repulsed our bubbling threat to their next generation of Little Orange New Yorkers with Fins and Scales. A painted greenling gave Ken all kinds of attitude, and got well photographed for its efforts. Kelp bass, sheepheads, rock wrasse, senoritas and blacksmiths fluttered all around the reef, filling our eyes and thoughts.

This is a very beautiful place. Thank you, Captain Andy, for putting us here to enjoy it all.

Having figure-eighted this way and that, I finally got near the bottom of even my water-heater-130 tank, (filled BTW, to 3400 psi by the Sunfish compressors!!! Way to fill, guys! This is Wonderful!)

Ken and I levitated upwards in the sunfilled water, amidst towers of carmel-colored kelp, filled with flocks of sunperch and senorita fish. Hovering nearly motionless at 20fsw, and then at 10fsw, Ken looked to be framed in air, beneath clouds of sparkling bubbles rising to a silvered sky. It's all too beautiful for words. I was welling up, floating in such soft and tactile beauty. And I am again, now, remembering it.

So, the Sunfish has begun it's book of GPS'd dive sites, building on 22 years of family knowledge of these northern channel islands. Named before we even left the deck and laid eyes on it, "Claudette's Rock" could have been anything from boring to ugly to lovely, but Andy said it was stuck with my moniker no matter what. I'm grateful and smiling big. Thanks :sappy: .

"Claudette's Rock".... Rocks!!
I wanna go back!!
Thank you, Sunfish, for taking us all there for a great dive!!
Thank you, Ken, for all the enthusiasm and fun exploration and an excellent day of diving.

Claudette

62961870.ljDq5drx.jpg

62963550.wQoFqhBA.jpg

62963218.6Kn4okEt.jpg

62965900.lVFb7TfL.jpg

62967024.qODNmG7g.jpg

HBDiveGirl:
Date: July 1, 2006
Dive Location: Santa Cruz Island, Claudette's Rock
Buddy: Mo2vation
Time: 4PM splash
Bottom Time: 1 hour, 21 minutes
Max Depth: 41fsw
Vis: 40+, from the surface to the bottom: Lovely
Wave height: The waves were 'bout 200 yards away... didn't really give 'em a thought :14: . We were diving from the Brand-Spanking-New dive boat Sunfish!
Temp at depth: 55F

The Dive:
We were a ship of eager guinea pigs as the Sunfish crew motored through this shake-down cruise. They circumnavigated Anacapa Island, shook their heads in disgust at the murky water, and drove us to Santa Cruz Island. They anchored at North Scorpion, ushered us overboard and retrieved us. We raided the galley as they fillled tanks and zoomed to the Radar station cliffside, where we Tiny-Strided off the deck again (LOVE the 14 inch "drop" to the water :D ). Viz was iffy at both sites, but we saw some fun life. Crazy surge and Sahara sandstorm on the bottom at the second site was a challenge. Beauty was in the rays and sharks and fingers of sunlight lasering down from the stained-glass kelp ceiling.

But we were all craving some island magic. I painted "blue-sky" images to Captain Andy of what I wished we could be diving:
"Find us some pinnacles, Cap'n... some nice vertical wall structure, maybe head-high off the bottom... 30 to 50fsw would be great... and maybe some clearer water farther off shore..."

Ahhhh, if only.......

But Captain Andy listened, thought a moment, and said, "OK, let's go find it."

REALLY??? :D NOW we're talkin'!!!

200 yards offshore, the anchor rattled down. "Water's looking clear. About 8-foot relief on the rocks down there. You might like it."

SPLASH.... PARACHUTE down though honeyed clouds of kelp... and HOVER down into beauty and clear water, hooting and hollering into my reg: "OMG, this is BEAUTIFUL! LOOK at these rock formations packed with life and great 40+ viz and LOOK at that nudibranch and Sunflower Star!!!" (Enunciation wasn't quite that clear, but Ken seemed to understand me exactly :wink: Now, THIS is diving!)

The reef is made of pancaked layers, tilted up about 20 degrees, and broken off and eroded. The tallest stand up about 6-8 feet off the shell-debris bottom. The soft layers have eroded back one, two, or even three feet in depth resulting in parallel shelves packed with life. Just PACKED!! Sunflower stars, Cowries, corynactis, sponges, black urchins and some purples, keyhole limpets, bryozoans, tunicates, brittle stars, bat stars, spined stars, leather stars, cucumbers, snails and worms, gorgonia and anemones.... IT NEVER STOPPED!

And did I mention the nudibranchs? :D Ken photographed 7 distinct species, adding to the two species found on our earlier dives. (The surge was still quite frisky, and I'm amazed at his determination and skill, composing and shooting in the oscillating push-and-shove. I was whipped back and forth several times, and I had nothing to manage but myself. The pictures we reviewed in the galley afterwards were delightful!! I just don't know he could pull this off, but I'm grateful for the lasting images to add to my memories.)

We found a sleeping swell shark and left it dreaming soundly. Clacking Garibaldi's Boys repulsed our bubbling threat to their next generation of Little Orange New Yorkers with Fins and Scales. A painted greenling gave Ken all kinds of attitude, and got well photographed for its efforts. Kelp bass, sheepheads, rock wrasse, senoritas and blacksmiths fluttered all around the reef, filling our eyes and thoughts.

This is a very beautiful place. Thank you, Captain Andy, for putting us here to enjoy it all.

Having figure-eighted this way and that, I finally got near the bottom of even my water-heater-130 tank, (filled BTW, to 3400 psi by the Sunfish compressors!!! Way to fill, guys! This is Wonderful!)

Ken and I levitated upwards in the sunfilled water, amidst towers of carmel-colored kelp, filled with flocks of sunperch and senorita fish. Hovering nearly motionless at 20fsw, and then at 10fsw, Ken looked to be framed in air, beneath clouds of sparkling bubbles rising to a silvered sky. It's all too beautiful for words. I was welling up, floating in such soft and tactile beauty. And I am again, now, remembering it.

So, the Sunfish has begun it's book of GPS'd dive sites, building on 22 years of family knowledge of these northern channel islands. Named before we even left the deck and laid eyes on it, "Claudette's Rock" could have been anything from boring to ugly to lovely, but Andy said it was stuck with my moniker no matter what. I'm grateful and smiling big. Thanks :sappy: .

"Claudette's Rock".... Rocks!!
I wanna go back!!
Thank you, Sunfish, for taking us all there for a great dive!!
Thank you, Ken, for all the enthusiasm and fun exploration and an excellent day of diving.

Claudette

What an awesome way to cap off a fun day of diving. Claudette's Rock will be forever engrained as one of the most memorable dive experiences to date.

The honor of being able to dive a pristine site, such as this, will be a highlight of Brandon and my log books for years to come. Mere words can not describe the prolific amount of life that we encountered on this site. To date, I have never seen so many sunflower stars or nudibranch on a single dive. One could literally do an entire dive within a 20ft radius of the anchor line and remaining in complete awe the entire time.

As fate would dictate, Christian mentioned that he had a feeling that this would be the best dive of the day. I sarcastically answered with, "I'll guarantee it by not bringing a camera." God, what a huge mistake ... it was a macro photographer's dream come true.

This was a very good rock. In fact ...

"This is your rock. There are many like it, but
this one is yours. Your rock is your best friend. It
is your life. Your must master it, as you must master
your life." :wink:

Congrats on the namesake Claudette :) Kudos to crew of the Sunfish for enabling this memorable experience.

Well I got no responses from my request for buddies so Catalina and I headed out into the surf for some much needed quiet after the thunderous fireworks and then miles of break lights last night.

I got to Vallecetos and found ample parking and even more ample GARBAGE. Now.....ya brought it with ya....TAKE IT WHEN YOU LEAVE. Had I wanted a boogie board I could have had at least 6 littering the beach along with broken plastic patio chairs, thousands of beer and soda cans, mounds of debris everywhere. With a heavy sigh I pulled on the gear and headed out into the calm surf. In calf deep water the baby bat rays were flowing past like kites on a spring breeze. A smile grew on my face as I pulled on my fins and started the kick out. The morning sun was just coming up and the sky was a lovely orange and red as I reached my drop in point, checked my primary and redundant air. All my gear was as it should be so I signaled to Catalina that it was time to dive.

The dive itself was nice but nothing remarkable of note. Large two-spot octopus, halibut, schools of mackerel, leopard sharks, more bat rays and the huge 5ft long shovel-nosed skates were again in attendance.

The best part was when I immerged from the water an hour+ later.....ALL THE GARBAGE WAS GONE. Mega-props to the clean up crew for cleaning up so much in so little time.

Images where not many but at least my strobe was firing as it should be this time.

P7050152.jpg

P7050150.jpg

P7050144.jpg

P7050143.jpg

P7050140.jpg

Date: 7-4-06
Dive Location: Leo Carillo
Buddy(ies):1st dive-Robert,Rick,Jim,Billy & Sonya/2nd dive Robert & Sonya
Time:8:30AM 11:18AM
Bottom Time:43min & 30min
Max Depth:28fsw 24fsw
Vis:5-10 both times
Wave height:1-2ft
Temp at depth:57D & 61D
Surface Temp:66D & 67D
Tide information:Low & coming in
Gas mix:Air
Comments:We had a mini SB gathering & I feel bad I didn't bring anything. Next time I know if there's a gothering of 6 or more SBer's we eat. Meeting LAJim, Empty V & Sonyacool was great & seeing Rickster & Teresa again was great also, we have to dive togather more often. The dive was ok nothing special the usuall critters but we did see a hugh Sheep Crab the biggest Robert & I have ever seen. We also seen a Decorate Crab. After the 1st dive & early lunch some of the guys had to leave so Robert, Sonya & I did a 2nd dive & seen more of the same. All in all it was a great day.

Happy Diving
John

Date: July 5, 2006
Time: 5:30 PM
Buddy: Scott Reese
Max Depth: 86fsw
Temp at depth: 56F
Run Time: 55 minutes
Surf: 3 to 4 Feet
Viz: 3 to 4 feet.

Conclusion: It is never a good thing when the surf equals the visibility.

Wow, what a memorable afternoon of diving.

It was either the worst visibility I've seen in the the canyon at Redondo, or perhaps the second worst viz I've "seen" there.

Descended at 22fsw, to 3 to 4 feet of viz.

1st thermocline at 35 fsw, and 3 to 4 feet of viz.

2nd thermocline at about 60-68, and a startling.... 3 to 4 feet of viz.:shakehead

Scott Reese nudged our trajectory upwards due to the high tide and we actually found "the monument", with the new addition: a kitchen sink. Filled with a small sheep crab and a 10 inch cabezon. Written on the sink, "Drains to Ocean." (Clever wags!) A handsome octopus peeked out at us from within the foot-pocket of a Whelk-egg covered swim fin.

We slid down to 85... and you guessed it: 3 to 4 feet visibility.

We relaxed, settling into viewing all the creatures and features UP Close.

Because we could only see them UP Close.:14:

Excellent teamwork allowed us to cover a lot of ground while keeping in contact with each other. Clarity with light and hand communication kept us on track with NDL and PSI, (at least until I went into Hoover-mode while deploying a SMB for practice.)

The sarcastic fringeheads were Everywhere. It seemed they were playing Musical Wavy-Turban-Shells because we found a large male free on the bottom, next to 4 shells that each had a Sarcastic inhabitant. Music had stopped, and he was still out.
Octopus were frequent, and rock crabs competed with Kellet's whelks for most common thing on the mud. Assorted Flatfish pavers adorned the mud.

Scott and I had fun. We deployed SMB's (me badly, Scott cleanly) from 50fsw, finned in along the bottom while reeling-in line and being pushed around by the surge, while ear-popping pressure changes squeezed and released us due to 4 foot waves rolling overhead.

We surfaced from 16fsw, recovered the bags, and walked out upright through 3 to 4-foot waves to a golden-red evening and sunset.

I found a buck at 55fsw. "Another dive, another dollar", I always say (HAha!)

Other than the odd viz, it was a fun dive.

I will certainly appreciate this coming weekend at Casino Point. I love to see ocean in sections greater than 3 to 4 feet long.

Is it Friday yet??

~~~~~~
Claudette

I've been wondering about the lifespan of nudibranchs, so I went on a run today to tag several of the little guys. I usually make my offshore dives with Ross-O but he was busy taking Kevin Rottner to the UB88 today. I rented one of those little Harbor Cruise boats and took it to the Matterhorn, a pinnacle near Santa Barbara Island. It tops off at 130' and anchoring is tricky. After stuffing the anchor into a bunch of hydrocoral I headed down the slope.
At 300 feet I could still see the boat. I knew I couldn't stay long with only a single 72 so I whipped out my stapler and began tagging nudis. This one tried to get away.
164228308.jpg

After tagging about 200 nudis, I came to the conclusion that they only live about five minutes. I was getting low on air so I headed up. I read on the internet that air is not an efficient deco gas so I decided to skip my deco obligation. By the time I reached the top of the pinnacle I noticed that the boat had dragged anchor and drifted away. I have such rotten luck. This happens to me all the time. I reached the surface, inflated my OMS bungeed wing and ditched my gear so I could make the five mile swim to the boat.

OK, now for the real report. I had the best conditions I've seen all year at Marineland this afternoon. The water was flat, blue and clear. Visibility was in excess of twenty feet and it had warmed up to 62F. Merry and I found a few large Batrays, Halibut, a baby Sunflower star and several rockfish, including a mating pair of Black and Yellow Rockfish.
164228312.jpg

We walked right out of the water without incident and made it back to the parking lot before John locked the gate. It was a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom