The Pasley May 06 Dive Report Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Frank I went to Sport Chalet & looked through the book & that's what I came up with also.

Happy Diving
John

Date: 5/28/06
Dive Location: Dead Man's
Buddy(ies): glycerin, Rob Phillips, Fredrick
Time: 8:33 AM
Bottom Time: 63 Min
Max Depth: 65 FSW
Vis: 15 Ft
Wave height: 1-2 Ft
Temp at depth: 55 F
Surface Temp: 63 F
Tide information: Pushing. High tide @ 11:38 AM PDT; +3.46 Feet
Gas mix: 21% (not sure about others)

Comments: Hooked up with Josh, Rob and Fredrick at N. Crescent around 7:15 am. The place was even more crowded than the previous day. Josh and I literally got the last two remaining spots at the back of Circle Drive. The surface conditions today were completely opposite from yesterday. A nice little high pressure system had moved in to replace yesterday's sloppy eddy conditions; skies were clear and sunny ... there was a slight offshore breeze to help lay down the chop ... there was still some small knee high W/SW combo swell in the background. We gathered around Rob's car for a little while, introduced ourselves, check out Rob's new dry suit; then finally suited up and headed down to the beach. We went over the dive plan on the beach before entering the water.

We finned out and dropped on the DeadHenge buoy. We started working the rock line inward. Along the way, Rob was gesturing how big some of these rocks were. It's amazing to think that divers have been able to move these things into their current location to create this UW navigation aid. In this area, we saw several sand bass cruising around; some sea hare; found a cool little baby octopi wedged into a crack under some of the hold fasts. When the rock line ended, we took a SW heading and soon picked up a section of Dead Man's.

The water temps were much cooler at depth today compared to yesterday, 55F versus 62F. This was the first time that I'd done this stretch of reef. Wow !!!! It had gorgeous structure and was teaming with life. I was blown away at how many nudies there were compared to the inside reef. There were a few sections where the rocks were literally almost completely covered with San Diego Dorids and their egg ribbons. We also saw a bunch of Sea Lemons and the usual Spanish Shawls. Josh and I hung back, following the guys with light sabers; they'd signal and point out cool stuff they encountered. Rob entertained us with his sheep crab wrangling skills. As we poked around we saw lots of the usual local species; Lobster, Octopi, Sheep Crab, Sea Hare, nesting Garibaldi, Tree Fish, Sand Bass, various flat fish including a good sized Halibut. I signaled the turn when I reached the pre-agreed 1200 psi. On the way back, Josh pointed to a small but steady trickle coming out of my alternate air. I'd noticed that my SAC seemed to have gone up a little on the past few dives, but up until now, I had attributed it to the dry suit learning experience (more weight, more drag, more tweaking trim/buoyancy, stiffer fins, etc).

We came in a little higher on the ledge; stopped to check out the shrine before cruising over the sand to pick up the inside reef. At this point in the dive, I had reached approx 700 psi. We continued for short while, along an E heading, but it was obvious from our heading, depth, and the structure that were not going to make it all the way back to the beach. In signaled up when I reached 375 psi ... I probably waited a little too long. We started the ascent from approx 35 fsw. Due to a combination of a light tank, slight under weighting, and being slow to vent dry suit (read inexperienced DS diver), I ascended a little too rapidly from approx 25 fsw to 10 fsw (around 50 fpm according to computer). By the time I got it under control, I was too light to hang at 10 fsw and continued a slow ascent to surface. The rest of the group surfaced after a couple minutes. We had a little bit of surface swim back to the beach.

Overall, it was a great dive ... sans the ending. Sorry, guys. We had great conditions today. It was a real treat to explore this part of the reef for the first time. It was a pleasure to have an opportunity to dive with Rob and Fredrick, two excellent divers. Thanks for the dive, guys.

Date: May 29, 2006
Dive Location: Marineland
Buddy(ies): Merry
Time: 9:21
Bottom Time: 32
Max Depth: 50'
Vis: 8'
Wave height: 0-1'
Temp at depth: 54F
Comments: I wanted to finish off a tank I used Saturday by looking for the unidentified fish I found last week and again yesterday. The dive was a success, as was the post-dive breakfast put on by DiveVets. The only downer of the day was two spearfishermen giving divers a bad name. They cleaned a Lingcod at the trailhead to beach, then mounted the carcass onto the post as if it was a shrunken head for all to see. I asked them if they planned to take it back to the water and the driver said no and asked if I wanted them to. I told him I would appreciate it. He walked it about ten feet and tossed it into the ivy next to the trail. After a few choice expletives, I got the dead fish and was planning to throw it into his car, but he had jumped in and sped away. I took it down to the point and threw it into the water where it will be consumed. Jerks like that ruin a nice day at the beach.
I did manage to get a few pics of the fish. It's a burrowing critter, but it doesn't breathe like an eel and doesn't have the eyes or markings of a Plainfin Midshipman.
10404_1148935526_SV500003.JPG

10404_1148935526_SV500004.JPG

10404_1148935526_SV500010.JPG

Dive Location: Laguna, Crescent Bay
Buddy: ScotM
Time: Around 7:00 AM (maybe closer to 7:30)
Bottom Time: Dunno, my computer went haywire
Max Depth: Dunno, my computer went haywire
Vis: maybe 10-15 feet
Wave height: 1-2 ft., occasional 3-4 ft
Temp at depth: Dunno, my computer went haywire; it was warm, though (low 60’s I think)
Surface Temp: Dunno, my computer went haywire; clear warm sunny day though…
Tide information: -1 ft., going high
Gas mix: 21%

Ever have one of those days? Well, this was mine…

Gorgeous day, clear and warm. I managed to pry the family out of bed and into the van at 5:30am, and we drove down to Laguna. Scot and I met up at Crescent at around 6:30 am. I was surprised that there was only one other pair of divers at Crescent when we got there, and only a few parking spots taken. We had the place to ourselves. Other divers started trickling in around 8-8:30am. Even then it was a surprisingly light crowd for a gorgeous Memorial Day. We had the same thing at Raging Waters yesterday. Got there when they opened, and there were no lines for the rides for the first 2 hours. Cool.

Anyway, we started gearing up, and I noticed that I had left the retractor for my dive computer at home. Darn. Then when assembling my reg I noticed while standing on the street my dive computer showed I was at 13 feet deep, and had been diving for 560 minutes. Darn. Tried to reset it, and it wouldn’t. Dunked it in a bucket of water and it read 14 feet deep. Well, at least the pressure gauge was working, so we decided we'd stay shallow and just noodle around the west reef. Made an easy entry (did I say it was a GORGEOUS day?), and we started noodling. Saw a poor Garibaldi with a bit bite taken out of his left side. Kept checking my computer and subtracting 14 feet from the reading to figure out how deep we were. Then we saw a free roaming octopus crawing over the reef and stopped to watch. He tried to fake us out by going all chameleon on us, and finally snuck into a crevice and turned black. Cool. About halfway thru the dive when we were around 42-14 = 28ft my computer went fully wacky and gave me mandatory stops and all kinds of flashing stuff. After a bit we decided to head back, and then my brain went wacky and I was thinking south was north. Darn. Scot got me back on track and we headed toward shore. Well, first we decided to take a shortcut over the Crescent Bay shallows where there was all kinds of surge and stuff. Darn. Then as my tank got down around 600-700 psi I noticed I was starting to get a bit too buoyant, and had to huff and puff to keep from floating to the surface. Darn. Finally we surfaced, and headed for the cars. We had planned to do two dives, but I decided that someone was clearly telling me not to do anymore diving for the day. :D

Okay, some lessons learned:

1. If your dive computer manual says to get it serviced after 2 years or 200 dives, do it before 1 year or 100 dives. And to think when I took my regs in last year I actually disconnected the computer and didn’t take it along. DOH !!! Probably just a dead battery, but anyway…

2. For those who use a weight integrated BC: when you return from a dive trip to the Philippines, make sure you fill your pouches with the right amount of weight. DOH !!!

3. When you are noodling around the Crescent Bay west reef, make sure you have sand on one side and reef on the other. You know, just like you’ve always been advising everyone to do… :D

4. At Laguna, north is towards shore, and south is away from shore. DOH !!! :D

5. If you're having one of those days, lie on the beach and relax instead of diving. And don't touch anything mechanical or buy any lottery tickets.

After checking my dive logs I realized this was my first local dive in over 3 months. So I'm gonna use that as my excuse…

All in all it was a perfect beach day. And kinda fun to be zooming out of Laguna around noon and watching a long traffic jam of cars on the 133 trying to get into town. :D

By the way, for the next time I park in Laguna this summer, I’m gonna have Myrna make a banner for the rear window of the car that says “No, I am NOT leaving”.

Date: 5/29/06
Dive Location: OML
Buddy(ies):Robert
Time: 8:20am
Bottom Time: 48m
Max Depth: 42fsw
Vis: 7-9ft
Wave height: 0-1ft
Temp at depth: 51deg
Surface Temp:?
Tide information: low
Gas mix:air
Comments: We entered at the cove & headed over to the reef, when we thought we were close enough we descended & I thought Robert took a heading & he thought I did & we got lost. We surfaced & got a heading & finally found the reef. It was pretty crowded on the reef today even with the low vis.

Happy Diving
John

LOL, Jim, you're cracking me up! It really was a beautiful day, and well worth the trip to the beach. I consider it a bonus that we got to practice making that all-important, but sometimes difficult, decision to call the second dive.

Date: 05/28/06

Dive One:
Dive Location: Catalina Island/Lions Head Reef
Buddy(ies): Sean Dyer
Time: 10:02a
Bottom Time: 60 minutes
Max Depth: 50ft
Vis: 20-30ft except for the bat ray areas
Swell height: 4-6ft in the crossing, pretty calm at the island
Temp at depth: 58f
Surface Temp: 63F

Dive Two:
Dive Location: Catalina Island/Lions Head Reef
Buddy(ies): Sean and Randy
Time: 12:08p
Bottom Time: 63 minutes
Max Depth: 59ft
Vis: 20-25ft
Swell height: calm and quiet
Temp at depth: 55F
Surface Temp: 64F

Dive Three:
Dive Location: Catalina Island/Emerald Cove
Buddy(ies): Sean and Randy
Time:14:01
Bottom Time: 65 minutes
Max Depth: 56ft
Vis: 25-30
Swell height: :)
Temp at depth: 52F below the thermocline
Surface Temp: 63F

The Images from the dive can be found here : http://www.scubapost.net/forums/Scorpionfish/
Just the images from the dive are here: http://www.scubapost.net/forums/Scorpionfish/052806/

Sean, Randy, Carlos, Walt and cast of others all met up in San Pedro and made the mostly calm crossing to Catalina for three lovely dives. Mid-channel we were joined but what must have been at least one hundred Pacific White-sided dolphins and a million pelicans feeding on a massive bait boil. The dolphins surfed the bow wake and jumped along side the boat as we cruised along. It's always impressive how powerful these wonderful fellow mammals are.

I was going to write a long winded report but as the day winds to close, so does my motivation to write. I will comment that twice yesterday I crossed a vast field of batrays, the first was probably 8 individuals but the second dive revealed at least 20. I shot a short video but its far to big to post. I have never seen so many in one place. Very cool indeed.

Catalina052806_3.jpg

Catalina052806_23.jpg

Catalina052806_38.jpg

Catalina052806_40.jpg

Catalina052806_92.jpg

Catalina052806_114.jpg

Catalina052806_126.jpg

Catalina052806_137.jpg

Catalina052806_180.jpg

Catalina052806_200.jpg

Terry aka Divinman
www.ScubaPost.net
A Southern California Dive Community

I did three dives in three days. Here is the info:

Dive One: Sat. 27th, May(Sandeaters night dive)
Dive Location: Corral Beach, Malibu
Buddy(ies): empty V, Craig, Jose
Time: 8:30pm
Bottom Time: 6 Minutes
Max Depth: 18'
Vis: 6"-1'
Wave height: 1'-3'
Temp at depth: 58f
Surface Temp: ?

Dive Two: Sun. 28th, May (Reef Check Recon Dive)
Dive Location: Deer Creek Rd, Ventura County
Buddy(ies): Billy, Craig, Brian, Vanessa
Time: 8:30am
Bottom Time: 28 min
Max Depth: 36'
Vis: 15'
Swell height: 1'-3'
Temp at depth: 58F
Surface Temp: ?

Dive Three: Mon. 29th, May (Reef Check Survey)
Dive Location: Deer Creek Rd, Ventura County
Buddy(ies): BrianMeux
Time: 7:00am
Bottom Time: 37 minutes
Max Depth: 32ft
Vis: 10'-12'
Swell height: 1'-3'
Temp at depth: 57F
Surface Temp: nice

Sat. Night:
Dropped down into huge school of smelt. One dive bombed the top of my head(Billy laughing). Down to the bottom. Crawled along rocks and structure, I think. Couldn't see a thing. Surfaced, then exited.

Sun. Morning:
Great dive. Seen gopher rockfish, sheephead, lingcod, kelp rockfish, blacksmith, huge sheepcrabs, sea lemon nudi's, snells laying eggs, and lots of other critters. We surface swam out to the outer reef. Great exercise:D

Mon. Morning:
Brian and I started a reef survey. we layed our transect line, and proceeded to count fish. On the return trip we counted inverts and seaweed. After finishing, we leisurely creeped along the bottom toward shore, observing various fish, nudi's, and other cool things. We came across a huge sponge growth, orange in color. When we surfaced, we had another long surface swim back to the stairs. If you dive this spot, be aware of the strong bottom currents pushing west. Top currents are heading southeast. Quite an experiance.

Thanks,
Rick

MaxBottomtime:
Dive Location: Marineland
Buddy(ies): Merry
Comments: I wanted to finish off a tank I used Saturday by looking for the unidentified fish I found last week and again yesterday.
I did manage to get a few pics of the fish. It's a burrowing critter, but it doesn't breathe like an eel and doesn't have the eyes or markings of a Plainfin Midshipman.

10404_1148935526_SV500010.JPG
Congratulations, dear Phil. I love the ocean and all that's in it... but you have found the ugliest local fish I have ever seen. Makes an craggy ol' wolf eel look like a BeenieBaby cuddle toy. LOVE IT!!! Thank you so much for noticing, finding for a second (!) time, photographing, and sharing.

I've seen it. Now I can't un-see it.:11:

Claudette

Awww. How can you not love a little cutie like this?
10404_1148935526_SV500004.JPG

I've seen it on three dives now, and Ted also found it yesterday. I'm going to try to coax it out with some frozen squid next Saturday, or earlier if you'd care to join me for an afternooner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom