The right way to get certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are my thoughts: Do the type of learning you thrive best in and comprehend and retain information the best way. This thought does NOT apply to the in water portion of the classes, or for skill demonstrations etc.

I did everything local, then did the 4 certification OW dives (referrals) in the ocean (Cozumel area). Now that was hard!

Had I done my cert dives in a quarry or canal, then did a non-supervised dive in the ocean from a boat, without a dedicated Instructor staying at our sides at arm's reach, I seriously doubt I would have enjoyed it, unless the sea was a dead calm.

We had to battle high winds, current, 4+ feet swells. It made for doing our skills on the surface and UW at 40+ feet quite the challenge. I honestly feel I'm a better diver now. I learned to respect the ocean the hard way.
One swallow at a time.

One main reason we did PADI-OW training ahead of time, is the time involved! You want to be on vacation enjoying dives.

Yes, it costs more. I like the fact of being certified / trained by two different instructors in two different countries - and both followed PADI to the letter (to the T).
Same signals, etc. Gave me a confidence boost.

People will tell you that you should get certified in the states through a formal course, then go to the Caribbean.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Elena!

Whipped_MainIconForIphoneLo.jpg

People will tell you that you should get certified in the states through a formal course, then go to the Caribbean. They tell you not to get certified in the Caribbean, "Because they just want to get you in and out as quickly as possible". They say you'll have much greater skill as a scuba diver doing it in the states first.

Well, I did it both ways, and I don't agree. As long as you get certified at a reputable resort with dedicated and thorough instructors, you'll learn just fine there. And you'll have more fun, because generally speaking the people in a resort are nicer. They know you're there to have a good time, and they make sure that the learning experience is an enjoyable one.

The classroom portion can be done on-line or in a classroom. I recommend doing both. It costs a bit more that way, but there are things you can't get through the computer. I don't recommend doing just the classroom, though, because the PADI online course is so good. It's very thorough. And it's fun.

So my recommendation is: Contact a resort of your choosing, book a vacation to include an open water certification course. Then do the PADI online course before you go.

I don't know about right or wrong way because every situation is different. What I tell my friends and people that ask me about diving is to do the OW here so that your vacation time is used on something other than classrooms and training. I realize that I have also taken some specialties in South Florida...not really vacation but travel for certain.

IMHO...Most importantly, getting a good foundation of learning, skills and technique is truly the "right" way to get your OW cert whether at home or on vacation. I prefer to spend my time in blue water doing fun dives.

Here's my $.02. I've trained with some good and bad instructors. And then when I thought I had a good instructor I found out later there was more that I should have learned! The twist is.....if you don't know you're getting crappy instruction, how can you tell the difference? I'm currently rescue certified and I find myself wishing I could retake my training with someone else. I would recommend if you don't have a good friend already certified that can guide you, try to find the best training you can find. Ask your instructors questions on how and what you will learn before signing up for the class and then compare it to other instructors.....that's right...interview them! Then dive as much as possible and network with as many divers as you can.....You can never learn enough and no one way is the "right way". Everyone has to find the way that is right for THEM.

Last edited:
One observation I would make is that I would PREFER to have an ongoing relationship with the person who certified me, as it presents an opportunity to grown and learn more. That isn't possible, generally, when one does their certification in a vacation destination.

I've been hosting groups of divers in Cozumel since 2007. This winter, I ran four trips, each for a week of diving. Over 50% of the people on every trip since the first year have been repeaters. There are currently 20 people here: 10 of them have never been on a trip with me, but 6 of those are students of mine from Alberta. Of the remaining 4, one is a friend from Oregon, 2 are friends of previous participants, and only 1 is a complete unknown. 15 of these people have taken one course or another with me, or with my husband. One of them did her OW referral with him during a trip to Utila, and is now an instructor. One will complete his Master Scuba Diver requirements on this trip and 8 are doing some form of continuing education. In general, since I started running these trips, I average one certification per diver. They expect to do training when they get here, because of our continuing relationship...

That's the problem with generalizations. :)

kari

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom