The Rise of the E-Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems to me his lack of proper qualifications should have been easily caught in the screening process (but maybe I don't really understand how things are done in that field). I'd echo what the others said, this is not confined to diving. I work in software development, the thing you should be able to learn on the internet! ; ) And even here, experience brings you things that you can't learn by reading on the net.

I'll say one thing in defense of the net and self-learning though, if your mentors sucks, it'll give you a shot at realizing it, instead of losing years working with idiots.

. Unfortunately, these are difficult to impossible to learn without the compatible intellect (or lack thereof). :wink:

Too true :wink:

Looking back on the years I think a certain lack of intellect may truly be necessary to make it as an offshore diver :D

Akimbo,
I have never been in the position of hiring someone. The screening process is new to me. I am just sitting in Sat Divers office until he gets back. I have seen plenty of recreational divers "enhance" their dive credentials, but it was a first for me with a commercial diver.
He nearly killed himself with the air chisel, after giving me a run through of maintenence schedules etc.
It freaked me out, because I think there was no way that kid would have made it past Sat Divers scrutiny.
I know he was motivated, but I read him wrong .

Akimbo,
I have never been in the position of hiring someone. The screening process is new to me. I am just sitting in Sat Divers office until he gets back. I have seen plenty of recreational divers "enhance" their dive credentials, but it was a first for me with a commercial diver.
He nearly killed himself with the air chisel, after giving me a run through of maintenence schedules etc.
It freaked me out, because I think there was no way that kid would have made it past Sat Divers scrutiny.
I know he was motivated, but I read him wrong .

In any dangerous job, as soon as someone starts a run through maintenence schedules instead of asking how are we making sure we arn't getting my a$$ killed doing the work, be very afraid.

And, by the way, thats why the management makes the big bucks.

Bob
--------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

And, by the way, thats why the management makes the big bucks.

Bob
--------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

True ... I never was any good at the paper work or at keeping my mouth shut. Both of which have always ensured that I am never a management favourite:D

i agree that one has to know what one is doing, but in todays world if one shows up and trys to get a job just on the basis of a little experience, and good will to learn mostly one is told to do your learning somewhere else... sometimes, with todays prices for courses and the availability of the internet one can get most of the theoretical info online, then one could if one was handy pick up most skills on the job, hey i have learned most of my skills on the job. a patient and good mentor is way better then any school, as said before " i see and i forget, I DO and I REMEMBER" in the good old days most trades were learned on the job. slowly but surely :)

Back
Top Bottom