The Sandusky's Figurehead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Bay Minnow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I don't understand how people "see" a Ram's head when they look at this?!?!

I see something more in the lines of a "Sea Witch".

Sandusky Figurehead.jpg

The term rams head for the figurehead came when ships were built with the figurehead carried goats and other livestock onboard. Also it could be linked with the 18th century and early 19th century warships that carried the identical figurehead used in ramming. Obviously this was a merchant ship and the figurehead was built as a naval tradition. As the decades passed, the figureheads became expensive and sometimes affected the ships steering qualities so they diminished by the 1870s all together. Pat Labadie mentioned this not too long ago about the rams head not looking like a one at all but cited this to me.

I have to agree. I've been diving up there for a while and have looked at that numerous times at different angles and have yet to say, "Oh yeah, I see it". I attributed it to an artists/craftsman's interpretation of a ram's head. It's still cool, none the less. Nice pics!

It's a divers physiological ink blot test....
So you see a Sea Witch, hmmm
Did your mother breast or bottle feed you?
What are your Freudian feelings toward you mother?

A very interesting case...

Check out this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ox5MBpFls4 I took a few years ago and also look at Thunder Bay Minow's Picture above. It looks like an "Evil Bart Simson" to me. The figurehead is at the 3:56 mark. You may want to turn your sound off because I had a metal clip on the housing that gets rather annoying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom