The Scopolamine / Scop topic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill, thank you so much for informing me not to try and stick a pill to my neck. I read that just before going for a dip in my "cement pond."

Seriously, I do thank you. God knows, someone out there might try it. Now reading from the box, it says "Transderm Scop, Apply 1 patch behind the ear every 72 hours." If I mis-stated the oral from the patch, than that can only mean I missed a bright future as a pharmasist.

Now, if I could only get the awful taste of this Vick's vapo-rub out of my mouth....

I've used the patch a number of times (OK, I get seasick in the bathtub)

Most of the times it stays on with no problem. I'm diving cold water so it is under my hood when I am in the water. I think I've only lost it completely once and another time it came loose and I just reapplyed it.

I always put mine on the night before to make sure it is in my system. The instructions say 4 hours before boarding the boat. I haven't had any problems with losing it overnight while I sleep.

Ty

I had no problems on a recent liveaboard with my transderm patches. However, there were others that did lose theirs after several dives. They simply replaced it as soon as they noticed it was gone. I have actually worn mine beyond 3 days, into the fourth with good results. I would not use it more than that though. I was given some advise by my physician that I find to be helpful also. When returning home, back on land after a week on the water she recommended that I leave my patch on past the 3 days, even up to a week if it will stay put. She told me that this will help to ease the tendancy for landsickness to occur once back on land after removing it. So far this has worked well, and yes I do feel the sensation of rocking on land especially when lying down, or standing very still so maybe it does help to keep it on. Another thing I do to help is to put my patch on atleast 24 hours before I embark on the water, this gets it well into my system and I have time to adjust to the drying effects. Hope these tips help. I am off this weekend coming with my patch in place.

Hi Scott,

To insure the best adhesion, locate a place behind the ear where there is no hair. You may even wish to shave the spot to remove any tiny hairs. Next, clean the area with rubbing alcohol to remove body oils. The patch may now be placed. Be sure not to touch anywhere on the underside of the patch, and smooth it on firmly & evenly. If you'll be wearing a beanie or hood, take care not to mechanically dislodge the patch when donning & doffing.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks for the tip, Doc. I am looking forward to trying this medication. Dramamine hasn't worked for me. I guess it could be a lot worse. I only get sick when seas are four feet or worse. I guess if nothing ends up working I'll just have to chose my days more carefully.

Hi Scott,

In case you haven't yet seen my oft posted mal de mer spiel, you might find it helpful. Here's an updated version of a piece from my Jan/Feb '00 "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Sea sickness, which shows wide variation in susceptibility among individuals, is not yet fully understood. It is believed to occur when portions of the brain tasked with maintaining balance receive input from the eyes, inner ear, muscles and joints that is inconsistent and unexpected over an extended period of time.

Prevention is a first step. Avoid fatigue and get adequate rest. Eat modestly, avoiding greasy, fatty, acidic and spicy foods. Don't skip breakfast, but stick to bland foods like toast, rolls and cereal. Go easy on tea and coffee, and very, very easy on alcoholic beverages. When on the boat, don't get overheated--stay under a sunshade, don't put on your protective suit until necessary, and get in the water as soon as possible. Search out a spot low and in the center where motion is minimized, face forward, focus your eyes on a fixed object on the horizon or elsewhere, avoid unnecessary neck movements and stay out of exhaust fumes. Do not go below, read anything or look through binoculars. If you must vomit, do so freely, but not anywhere on the boat, and especially not in the marine toilet.

There are plenty of medications available, and you may wish to discuss this with your physician. Among those reported to be the most effective are meclizine and scopolamine. Prescription strength meclizine commonly comes as Antivert. Scopolamine can be delivered through a transdermal patch, Transderm Scop, orally, and as a gel applied to the wrists. The gel reportedly works faster, but not as long as the patch. Scopolamine is the US Navy's first line sea sickness drug, including for divers, and DAN approves it with a trial run. Occasionally Phenergan, whose primary indication is as a sedative, is recommended. It can cause very serious drowsiness, however, and is sometimes prescribed in combination with a stimulant to counteract this. The above drugs are prescription only and have reported side effects, most commonly dryness of the mouth and drowsiness. They may also cause blurred vision, dizziness and even confusion in some users, and it is recommended to carefully discuss their use with your physician, give them a trial run prior to use in conjunction with diving, and take them only according to instructions.

Over the counter (OTC) preparations include Bonine, Dramamine (Not recommended due to demonstrated adverse effects on alertness & performance), Dramamine II (Advertised as a "less drowsy" formula. As this implies, be aware that some individuals still do experience some degree of drowsiness.) and Triptone (Same active ingredient as original Dramamine, dimenhydrinate, so draw your own conclusions) . A British drug, Stugeron (cinnarizine), has been mentioned by several sources as an effective treatment (Have seen a recent research piece suggesting impairment at higher doses), but it is not yet available in the US. Those diving in such places as Mexico & the British Virgin Islands can find it. Many report these OTC medications most effective if taken at bedtime the night prior to diving, with a second dose about an hour before diving, although recommended dosage amounts should of course not be exceeded. These medications often cause significant dryness of the mouth. Stay very well hydrated.

Considering more "natural" remedies, ginger is frequently mentioned, which can be taken in powdered, crystallized or root form, or as ginger snaps, ginger ale, or tea. As heartburn with the use of ginger has been reported, also pack an antacid. Others swear by wrist straps, such as 'Sea Bands,' usually wooden or plastic balls on elastic bands which are placed so as to exert pressure on an acupressure point on the inside of the wrist. There are also 'artificial-horizon' glasses. Even aromatherapy has been tried, with a combination of mandarin, peppermint, spearmint and lavender oil being recommended.

In the final analysis, you will need to discover what works best for you with the least risk, side effect, cost and inconvenience. If you take any medications, you should understand their adverse effects and carefully follow directions for use. And remember, there is one safe, sure cure: 'Sleep under a tree all day.' "

Hope this gets you started.

DocVikingo

I've just signed up for a live-aboard cruise (blackbeard's in april) and although i rarely get seasick i think it might be a good idea to bring along some scopalamine. I don't have any health conditions that would prevent my using this - which is what my doctor will tell me before writing the prescription.. So the question: is there a cheap, semi-legal way to get scopalamine?

I've noticed some interesting websites for obtaining it.. some charge a "consultation fee" (yeah right).. others are titled "cheap canadian drugs" or "mexican drugs online"...

Thanks.

Cheap Canadian drugs...yeah right, up here there are no cheap drugs...hehehe:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom