The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's interesting - i just landed in cancun 8 pm tonight direct from mexico city - no questionnaires, certainly, or extra attention (to me, anyhow - i appear to be healthy and was looking for my luggage) in cancun airport, although they were definitely being vigilant in d.f., with announcements and screening for anyone who displayed symptoms. Surgical masks were being handed out, and being worn by probably 80% of travelers, and actually probably by well over 50% of people in the streets for the last two days. I have been in mexico city since tuesday, but (fingers crossed) appear to be symptom free. I'll be sticking close to home the next few days, though.

very interesting, today in the morning i saw it going on at cancun airport on the local news, also a friend landed and went through screening, i was not there but i saw it on the local canal 12 cancun news, weird.....

I think both were partially right. Virus is sensitive to tamiflu and one other but won't prevent. Only reduce severity of symptoms which is why it's not being offered widespread as prophylaxis. Only in specific circumstances.

There seems to be no 100% sure way of avoiding this short of avoiding human contact. Is there a set of reasonably effective precautions that a traveler to Mexico can take to minimize risk? Lather up with hand sanitizer at every opportunity? Face masks? Shots? Drink mucho tequila to alter host body pH? :D What are the medical professionals recommending for travelers?

I wonder how effective the masks are on the planes. It is good to see people being responsible and wearing them on the plane. If anything less colds I suppose after the plane ride.

The cheap disposable masks that are being used by 99.9% of the people I have been seeing are better than nothing, but they have serious limitations. They typically do not fit all that well, and air gaps exist which allow non-filtered air to bypass the mask. Also, they usually have only limited filtering ability at best anyway, and most airborne viruses easily penetrate these masks. The big advantage is that they help keep your hands away from your nose and your eyes. Hand contact with nose/eye areas is the primary vector for spread of most of this stuff. I can't exactly speak for the current swine flu problem (yet), but if it follows true to form, this will be the primary method of transmission. So, now you can see all the emphasis on hand washing, use of alcohol-based hand sanitizer, etc. I have been a nurse for 35 years, and I can tell you that none of this stuff is new. Hand washing has always been job 1 when it comes to preventing disease transmission. Woody

Congrats on your impending wedding. I live here and you can rest assured that all is well and healthy in Coz. The air here is sooooo clean, so don't anticipate any problems. However, might be a good idea to wear a mask on the airplane.....

The cheap disposable masks that are being used by 99.9% of the people I have been seeing are better than nothing, but they have serious limitations. They typically do not fit all that well, and air gaps exist which allow non-filtered air to bypass the mask. Also, they usually have only limited filtering ability at best anyway, and most airborne viruses easily penetrate these masks. The big advantage is that they help keep your hands away from your nose and your eyes. Hand contact with nose/eye areas is the primary vector for spread of most of this stuff. I can't exactly speak for the current swine flu problem (yet), but if it follows true to form, this will be the primary method of transmission. So, now you can see all the emphasis on hand washing, use of alcohol-based hand sanitizer, etc. I have been a nurse for 35 years, and I can tell you that none of this stuff is new. Hand washing has always been job 1 when it comes to preventing disease transmission. Woody

I'm going to partly disagree with you..

Nothing replaces handwashing, but this is a case where handwashing alone is not enough. The surgical masks are not effective barriers to airborne anything; however, they are great barriers to droplet transmission - protecting you from the people who do not cover their cough or sneeze as well as from the droplet from a laugh or casual conversation. They also serve as a great reminder to keep your hands off your face.

All of this said, I'm headed to Cozumel this week - with my hand sanitizer and surgical mask. Additionally, I will decline daily maid service in hopes that my room will not be contaminated.

There seems to be no 100% sure way of avoiding this short of avoiding human contact. Is there a set of reasonably effective precautions that a traveler to Mexico can take to minimize risk? Lather up with hand sanitizer at every opportunity? Face masks? Shots? Drink mucho tequila to alter host body pH? :D What are the medical professionals recommending for travelers?

Hand sanitizer/handwashing, masks in confined spaces (airplane) and keep the maid out of your room.

Hand sanitizer/handwashing, masks in confined spaces (airplane) and keep the maid out of your room.
Hand washing well with soap & water then turning the water off with your elbow. If you have to use your hand, you recontaminate. Sanitizers probly work better. I get 2 oz bottles at the Dollar Store.

Eat well, rest well, hydrate well, stay out of the bars...

from the president of mexico 70% of the cases have been released from hospital in mexico city, only 6% passed away some because a combination of illnesses,there is a cure but do not remember the name, it was a quick call, schools in mex. city will be closed all next week, and I only know my friend client had a runny nose at airport, a doctor checked him asked him questions and was let go (obviously this virus has specific syntoms that will not even allow you to travel if you have it if you do not then no problem), we will be diving tomorrow if this high wind will slow down port has been closed for 2 days now......I just want to dive, I guess underwater no illnesses to worry about, this last information from a meeting with our president with Government health authorities a family member is one of them.....They most insist that this illness has a cure. Not many more new cases have been reported but do not take my word, if you are travelling here you should check with your local health authorities, I know there are no warnings or traveling restrictions yet.

A 6% fatality rate (if true), would be very high, and Mexico was reporting severe respiratory symptoms in people aged 25-45, which is highly disconcerting. So far, however, none of the cases in the US have resulted in deaths, so hopefully Mexican authorities got something wrong, or else the virus has already mutated...

Tamiflu and Relenza are also not "cures", they are only going to reduce symptoms and mortality, and at this point there's really no good information on how effective they are.

I've got tickets to fly into Cancun in June, so I've got "skin in this game" (literally), and right now I'm not calling up the airlines to cancel my tickets, because there is still a good chance this will all blow over by then. But, I'm still monitoring this, and I've got over a month to watch it evolve. I don't know exactly what I would do if I was flying to Mexico tomorrow...

I've got tickets to fly into Cancun in June, so I've got "skin in this game" (literally), and right now I'm not calling up the airlines to cancel my tickets, because there is still a good chance this will all blow over by then. But, I'm still monitoring this, and I've got over a month to watch it evolve. I don't know exactly what I would do if I was flying to Mexico tomorrow...

I am traveling to Mexico in a few weeks as well. But then again, I just got back last week.

Just take the same precautions you would normally take to prevent getting sick, just do so more regularly.

Real Info:
http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/contentSwineFluMexico.aspx

Back
Top Bottom