The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh really? All incoming plane passengers are screened...?

Not cruise boat people? I can imagine the bottle neck at the dock, and i guess they are considered to be coming from a monitored environment, to an extent anyway.

local cancun news showed medical staff providing a questionaire to all incoming travelers, they also were checking everyone coming in, a friend and client just came in and he had a little runny nose he was taken apart and checked thorough.....in coz and cruises i do not know about....:d

he had a little runny nose he was taken apart and checked thorough...:d
He was taken apart!!!:shocked2::shocked2::shocked2: Now I'm really scared. Did they use gloves at least??

Just fooling around you probably meant 'taken aside'. Your english is most excellent.

Last edited:
so someone who is on Coz right now-what is happening at the airport?...do you know (or can you ask)...for flights arriving on Coz today...are the incoming being screened? If I have a stuffy nose next week, will they hold me at the Coz airport and send me back?

He was taken apart!!!:shocked2::shocked2::shocked2: Now I'm really scared. Did they use gloves at least??

Just fooling around you probably meant 'taken aside'. Your english is most excellent.

sorry english is not my mother language, but I guess you know what I meant, not taken apart, taken aside....thanks for the correction....:D

from the president of mexico 70% of the cases have been released from hospital in mexico city, only 6% passed away some because a combination of illnesses,there is a cure but do not remember the name, it was a quick call, schools in mex. city will be closed all next week, and I only know my friend client had a runny nose at airport, a doctor checked him asked him questions and was let go (obviously this virus has specific syntoms that will not even allow you to travel if you have it if you do not then no problem), we will be diving tomorrow if this high wind will slow down port has been closed for 2 days now......I just want to dive, I guess underwater no illnesses to worry about, this last information from a meeting with our president with Government health authorities a family member is one of them.....They most insist that this illness has a cure. Not many more new cases have been reported but do not take my word, if you are travelling here you should check with your local health authorities, I know there are no warnings or traveling restrictions yet.

Dandy, it was reported that the Tamiflu shot is ineffective with this strain. And also Tamiflu does not kill the virus it simply lessens the symtoms and the duration.

Interesting, I've read that it is treatable with Tamiflu and another medication...

Interesting, I've read that it is treatable with Tamiflu and another medication...

I think both were partially right. Virus is sensitive to tamiflu and one other but won't prevent. Only reduce severity of symptoms which is why it's not being offered widespread as prophylaxis. Only in specific circumstances.

Yes, it reportedly responds to Tamiflu and Relenza and stock in the companies which developed those are skyrocketing.
Dandy, it was reported that the Tamiflu shot is ineffective with this strain. And also Tamiflu does not kill the virus it simply lessens the symtoms and the duration.
As I said earlier, reports will conflict - but all reports I have seen say it responds to Tamiflu and Relenza.
I think both were partially right. Virus is sensitive to tamiflu and one other but won't prevent. Only reduce severity of symptoms which is why it's not being offered widespread as prophylaxis. Only in specific circumstances.
No, there has been no statements about prophylaxis other than hand washing and reduced exposures, or a vaccine other than developing one will take months at best. How is "treatable with Tamiflu" only partially right? It is. The word "cure" may also not apply. DP used the word translating for his president, but as noted - DP is a Cancun dive pro, not a professional translator, so there may have been some confusion in the translation - altho his English is very admirable, worlds better than my paltry Spanish.

Some schools in Calf, Texas, NY closing. New cases in Ohio and maybe Scotland. The death toll in Mexico alone now stands at 103, Reuters reported. And we can expect much more news in the days to come I am sure, most of it reasonably reported I hope. Seems like all affected countries, states, cities, schools, etc. are taking this very seriously and moving with swift but well focused actions so far. Hope it's all over soon, well before the aforementioned honeymoon. :D
Authorities around the world are getting ready to tap into their stockpiles of Relenza and the Roche-produced Tamiflu to combat the outbreak of the disease...

local cancun news showed medical staff providing a questionaire to all incoming travelers, they also were checking everyone coming in, a friend and client just came in and he had a little runny nose he was taken apart and checked thorough.....in coz and cruises i do not know about....:d

That's interesting - I just landed in Cancun 8 pm tonight direct from Mexico City - no questionnaires, certainly, or extra attention (to me, anyhow - I appear to be healthy and was looking for my luggage) in Cancun airport, although they were definitely being vigilant in D.F., with announcements and screening for anyone who displayed symptoms. Surgical masks were being handed out, and being worn by probably 80% of travelers, and actually probably by well over 50% of people in the streets for the last two days. I have been in Mexico City since Tuesday, but (fingers crossed) appear to be symptom free. I'll be sticking close to home the next few days, though.

Hi Dandy- I can't link the report on t.v. to the board.lol. But I googled 'tamiflu not effective' and a lot of stuff comes up about it not being as effective as we would like to think.
I wonder how effective the masks are on the planes. It is good to see people being responsible and wearing them on the plane. If anything less colds I suppose after the plane ride.

Back
Top Bottom