The thing that has surprised me most about diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will have been certified three years next month (May).

My biggest surprise in diving is as follows:

In training and during my first few dive trips everyone always said: Watch your depth.
Watch your depth. You can get deep real fast without even noticing it.

Guess what. THEY WERE RIGHT!

It amazes me how quickly a diver can reach 60- 70 -80 feet and still think they are at 30 feet.

DD

I remember during the first classroom session of my open water class, the instructor asked us how we expected it would "feel" at, say, 120'. The answers ranged from "pressure", to "dark" to "extra cold", etc. Surprisingly, depending on where you're diving of course, diving at 20' can look and feel exactly like diving at 120'......... (in locations where viz is good enough that it doesn't get dark or especially cold that is)

The thing that has surprised me most about diving?

That Jaws really wasn't sitting out there in the murk waiting for me to turn my back.

Though I still check, just to keep him honest. :wink:

The thing that surprised me most about diving ... well, I had no idea that nitrogen was such an addictive substance! ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wijbrandus:
That Jaws really wasn't sitting out there in the murk waiting for me to turn my back.
Though I still check, just to keep him honest. :wink:

He's just waiting until you stop looking over your shoulder. :jaws:

For me, it's how fast things can go "doin' fine and dandy" to "oh crap, I wish I was home in bed" -- and I haven't even had any dives I would consider close calls. Just a few hair raising moments.

Although diving can be very relaxing, you gotta stay aware.

What surprised me then, seems to surprise me still. Its how quickly time slips away from me on a dive.

What they said about how efficiently water drains the heat from your body - it really is true, even in water that doesn't feel that cold at first, it happens a lot faster than you expect, and it can leave you swimming like a speared fish before you know it.

I am still in awe of the Beautiful Mermaids that I encounter during every dive in Palm Beach County. I never saw mermaids in Alaska or cave country. Every dive in south Florida seems to place me in their company.

Is that with 60lbs of gear on, I FLOAT if I don't add another 20lbs of weight :11:

Actually I agree about the depth thing. I have to pay attention when I want to limit my depth that I don't slip down, and it's VERY easy to end up at 60' when the plan ws to stay at 40' or above.

My biggest surprise that I needed weights! I found I was extremely positively bouyant. The hardest part of getting certified was removing my weight belt. As soon as took it off my lower half would go straight over my head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom