The Value of a Turtle - Split from the Honey Girl thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, by that logic a single turtle is more important than your fellow man....nice.

Matt
Well believe what you will. This thread has nothing to do with homeless slackers who refuse to work and rely on handouts from kind hearted people such as yourself who enable them to continue to refuse to work in the state where workers are desperatly needed.

I say that turtle is important. I'm not so certain people who are drug addicted and refuse to work are all that important.

Take your hard earned cash and help out as many people as you desire. Give me your name and I'll send a donation to the turtle hospital in Marathon Florida in your name.

I appreciate everyone's concern about Honey Girl...Thank you! The Honey Girl Reward Fund is over $10,000.00 now and growing. The money will be used to find Honey Girl's killer and to protect and preserve the other Hawaiian Honu giant green sea turtles. People from around the world are rallying together to support this cause- I'm from Indiana. Thank you so much for you time, caring, and support. Aloha and Mahalo!

What will be done with any money collected when there's no conviction for this? We see it all the time in Florida. Unless the FWC actually catches the perp in the act, there's nothing they can or will do. I can't see it being any different in Hawaii.

It is a dangerous slope when we demean that word.

While death should move us, even that of an animal (though how much more so the death of a human being), I think there was a bit too much anthropomorphizing going on in that news cast. And I love watching turtles and think they are amazing animals, but they are still only animals. The pictures in that news cast were eerily "mourning" like ... but that beach is only so big, with only so many places to come up on shore...

And last time I checked sea turtles were no longer considered endangered in Hawaii, just protected and on the "endangered" list because of their world wide status. There are even some marine biologists on Maui that I have met who are trying to legalize their hunting again as they feel their protected status has caused an unbalance in the food chain.

None of this is saying a reward is wrong, as the law says "killing turtles is not allowed" but it's not the killing of turtles that is morally wrong, rather the breaking of the law that is. So if someone wants to offer a reward it's their money and their choice to do so - Honestly, how many of us have spent $1200 + on scuba gear in the last year when it could have gone to suporting so many other worthy causes? It's not wrong, simply a choice an individual is allowed to make with the resources they have earned...

Should Honey Girl be missed? Of course, by those who enjoyed going down to the beach and watching her. Just as you missed your first pet that died (even if it was a goldfish) it is a loss, and some people get very attached to animals.

and the manner in which this happened, in a public location can not be good for tourism :(

Just my 2 cents on both sides of the coin.

P.S. Doug - thanks for posting the news report - I may not agree with it, but I would have missed it, were it not for your putting it up here.

I'll ask one more time and then I will shut up.

Why is this post in the main O'Hana Forum. I can't even post a get-together of O'ahu Scuba Divers here in the main forum without it being moved within minutes. Yet it's ok to post here asking for money from a charity that anyone has yet to confirm..much less knows exactly where the money is going to.

Again. This killing is horrible and I despise the fact that it has happened...but.

My issue however is becoming one of principal, and that is that (1) Posts were removed from this thread purely based on the poster not agreeing with the content. There was no swearing; yelling or any other demeaning words in said posts. This is a discussion forum, and if a discussion revolves around things that you have posted; yet you disagree with them and then have the posts removed I suggest you find a "statement" forum instead. Could it be that because the OP advertises on scubaboard...specifically this forum he gets preferential treatment?...perception is reality.

...and (2) that there is an apparent double standard here where it's "ok" to post asking for charity reward money here, to a yet unconfirmed organization...but it is "not ok" to post scuba events here sponsored by an organization that has no exchange of money involved. I am confused...

Doug, I don't know you, but I am sure you are a great guy...but when certain individuals or posts get perceived preferential treatment over others it pisses me off and it's wrong irregardless of how sensitive, emotional or moving the subject maybe.

I am sure that this will be removed in short order proving my point...I would however respectfully ask that this thread be moved to the appropriate forum.

Flame away.

Last edited:
I can't even post a get-together of O'ahu Scuba Divers here in the main forum without it being moved within minutes. Yet it's ok to post here asking for money from a charity that anyone has yet to confirm..much less knows exactly where the money is coming from.

because you are a conservative. Don't you know anything yet? How long have you been in Hawaii again?

You just must learn to accept certain things.

Hi! In regards to where the Honey Girl Reward Fund money will go:

If there is no conviction (we believe that there will be- we have a good deal of data not yet released), the funds will convert to basically the "Honey Girl Memorial Fund"- money will be spent on activities such as, but not limited to: surveillance of the beaches, manned security on the beaches, enforcement of laws, government involvement programs, public education and outreach, giving food and water to volunteers on the beaches, vet bills for injured turtles, beach clean-up, and any other possible activities that will help to preserve and protect the Hawaiian Honu giant green sea turtles. A heavy focus will be to merge what is best for the turtles with what is best for the people of Hawaii- a cultural melding program. We realize that the rights of indigenous populations to hunt and to have religious ceremonies is at conflict with the preservation of a federally and state protected threatened and endangered animal species. We are aware of the needs of the Hawaiian people and will be sensitive to those needs; however, we do intend on finding the responsible party for Honey Girl's death. Rest assured- all of the money donated will go directly to help the turtles. Everyone involved in the Honey Girl Reward Fund has donated time, money, materials, and information on behalf of the turtles. I personally donated $2500.00, built the Honey Girl Reward Fund website, and spend several hours a day online and on the phone for this cause. I am the CEO of a company and choose to use my time and money to help these turtles- please choose to do the same. If everyone did just a small thing, contributed just a little part, then this issue would resolve itself to everyone's satisfaction and benefit.

P.S. A standard and common definition of murder that I found:
"Unlawful killing of another with intent to kill, or with wicked recklessness to life."
I believe that Honey Girl's death qualifies under that definition.

Back
Top Bottom